In at the deep end

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
mill4six

In at the deep end

Postby mill4six » 19 Sep 2010, 7:56pm

I've been helping to supervise kids at the local school recently Under the watchful eye of a more experienced instructor as they prepare for their cycling profficiency test. However she is now leaving and I am inheriting the role. Although I have managed to recruit some new help, none of us is in any way qualified to be doing this (beyond willing and interested!) and I'm wondering what sort of resources are available. Is there a proper curriculum to follow etc... The previous instructor and I have been winging it really and using common sense as a guide but the things we can teach the kids are not the same as the ones I employ myself when I'm riding in traffic! I have "RoSPA Righttrack cycling awareness programme a tutors guide" which outlines a suggested programme. I'd certainly like to formalise things as I am dissatisfied with the way it has been till now and I'd like to do better. Should I see if I can get on a course? What does it cost???? Nothing prepares you for the stuff they can do on the road, I once warned a kid of a busy junction some way to the left of a t-junction we were turning right at. "be carefull of cars coming up fast from down there, make sure you have a good look before you pull out." Well he did look left beautifully, just not right, where there was a car coming. Luckilly for us the driver was switched on but it's obvious why I feel vulnerable and want to approach things properly!
All thoughts and hints welcome.

Jules

Re: In at the deep end

Postby Jules » 20 Sep 2010, 2:25pm

Hi, cycling proficiency is an outmoded scheme now and has largely been replaced by Bikeability and the National Standard in cycle training. See cycle training on the CTC website or Google Bikeability for more details. What you should NOT be doing is delivering cycle training without the proper credentials to do so as you would be uninsured for one thing, should anything go wrong, and you would probably not be delivering training that takes account modern road conditions and cycling practice.

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 20 Sep 2010, 11:31pm

Some schools have continued (and probably will continue) with a volunteer-based cycling proficiency. Some councils are still training cycling proficiency instructors under road safety programmes. I don't know all of the reasons, but I suspect that cost is one of them. I do know that the schools in my area are only changing to Bikeability as their cycling proficiency instructors are lost through retirement and resignation.

Check here for more information http://www.bikeability.org.uk/professionals/ The site also has course materials and training information.

There are some bursaries available for training, if you should decide that you want to become a Bikeability instructor.

Good Luck.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

xpc316e

Postby xpc316e » 23 Sep 2010, 6:21pm

I'd contact your county council's road safety office, and ask them what they can do for you. If you PM me, I might be able to let you have a copy of the manual we issue to people in just your situation.
Riding a Dahon Jetstream P9 folder, a Claud Butler Cape Wrath MTB, and the latest acquisition, an early 90s Vision R30 above seat steered recumbent.