How to keep warm in winter

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
Jules

How to keep warm in winter

Postby Jules » 25 Nov 2010, 11:59am

Thanks to i-Contact reader Tina who sent these tips in. She won a BikeBin for doing so!

I feel the cold being quite thin so I find that the main thing is to have layers to add/remove as needed.

Head:
Buff as skull cap under helmet 2nd buff acts as 'gaiter' around neck on wet days.

Upper body:
Vest, Tee, thin fleece, body warmer, windproof, High vis!

Lower body:
Winter cycling tights under trousers, Waterproof trousers.

Feet:
Thick sports socks, waterproof walking boots half a size too big (then feet can be wiggled).

Hands:
Winter gloves (take two pairs leave one in school to warm up while wearing the other)

tina

Re: How to keep warm in winter

Postby tina » 1 Dec 2010, 2:41pm

As an addendum to the competition - I wore said set of clothes today and lasted just an hour before I started to feel the cold!!

Kids are doing amazingly well considering the weather!

Tina.
Cycle training: www.cycleinstructor.co.uk
Sport Stevenage:www.sportstevenage.co.uk
CTC:www.stevenagectc.org.uk

Jen J

Postby Jen J » 1 Dec 2010, 6:35pm

I have just invested in a down filled gilet - packs down to nothing in the pannier whilst cycling to schools, then is amazingly warm whilst out training. One of the best things I've ever bought for this job!

ShannonBall

Postby ShannonBall » 3 Dec 2010, 8:23pm

I wear all those layers, plus overshoes and I pack a squished up puffer jacket in my saddlebag. Stuff the cold! :D

blaugrana

Postby blaugrana » 18 Dec 2010, 3:32pm

Any recommended down gilets / jackets??

Just been looking for same and they range in price from £29 @ Uniqulo (sp??) to £250 @ Rohan...

Jeff

xpc316e

Postby xpc316e » 26 Dec 2010, 4:25pm

I find down-filled clothing is excellent if I am doing some form of exercise. I walked the dog this morning, nothing strenuous, but had to peel off hat, gloves, and unzip jacket etc. in order not to overheat. However, if I am stood around on street corners then nothing works and the chill soon gets to my bones.
Riding a Dahon Jetstream P9 folder, a Claud Butler Cape Wrath MTB, and the latest acquisition, an early 90s Vision R30 above seat steered recumbent.