Bikeability training

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
pjclinch

Re: Bikeability training

Post by pjclinch »

In Scotland our "traffic light boxes" to mark different aspects red, amber or green include "Demonstrate understanding of safety equipment and clothing", so if they constantly turn up in dumb clothing they'll miss a green there. One aspect of gloves as safety equipment is your hands need to have enough blood-flow to be able to work the brakes!

OTOH in my last sessions there was at least one lad who clearly has the Scottish Coldproof genes in him. He's been wearing shorts all through the winter and there are never visible signs of even discomfort, never mind real problems.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Si

Post by Si »

"Demonstrate understanding of safety equipment and clothing"

Yep, same wording on the English version, or as near as damn it.
Anyway, looks like another wet one this week, we shall see what they turn up in.....it felt odd last week, first time I'd done a bikeability this session this year with out my thermal gloves or hat on...indeed at one stage I even had my coat open and had to move position so as to not be blinded by the sun!!!!! which then leads you onto the problem of the summer - they all turn up with tonnes of clothing, find they are too hot, and you end up carting it all around for them :lol:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Use it as an opportunity to show them how to roll up a jacket or jumper and tie it around themselves in a way that won't make a hazard?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Si

Post by Si »

Afraid that I waste more than enough time trying to teach children how to dress themselves in my other role.... :twisted: