Do you get 'experts' telling you what to do?

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
Si

Re: Do you get 'experts' telling you what to do?

Post by Si »

I've gotten into similar trouble by telling people the truth about canals.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

A road (or playground) session isn't the place to go in to it properly: as Chris Boardman observed when neatly sidestepping the pratty helmet question on last week's Daily Politics feature, it's a topic that expands to fill available time.

This last set of sessions I said I wanted to do a classroom based talk on safety gear, pointing out the instructions from the Scottish trainer's guide (saying should discuss pros and cons to underpin free choice in future). I had a discussion concerning what I'd say with the Head before hand to address worries that I might be going off-piste, and that was all pretty good, with her emphasizing that our hands were tied by the LA and that would need to be reinforced. I used the Cycling Scotland draft helmets briefing and Tim Gill's "Cycling and Children and Young People" as the basis.

Good idea about copies of Cyclecraft for the school...

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Chris Green

Post by Chris Green »

I feel your pain. Yes, I've often had people who clearly know my job better than I do telling me that the road I'm using is dangerous (i.e. there's actually some movement). Our employer had now issued us with the office's business card, so our standard line is "I mustn't get distracted, please contact our office to discuss".

If I was ever in the last few weeks before resigning, I've always wanted to reply to the busy-body who says "I hope you're not teaching them to ride on the pavement" with "No we did that yesterday, we're going through red lights today!" :D
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Chris Green wrote:I feel your pain. Yes, I've often had people who clearly know my job better than I do telling me that the road I'm using is dangerous (i.e. there's actually some movement). Our employer had now issued us with the office's business card, so our standard line is "I mustn't get distracted, please contact our office to discuss".

If I was ever in the last few weeks before resigning, I've always wanted to reply to the busy-body who says "I hope you're not teaching them to ride on the pavement" with "No we did that yesterday, we're going through red lights today!" :D

:lol:

You could (legitimately) say "I'm teaching them when to ride in the middle of the lane to prevent overtaking and never to ride in the gutter" that ought to get up some noses :twisted:

Si wrote:I've gotten into similar trouble by telling people the truth about canals.

Enlighten us :?:
Si

Post by Si »

I'm sure that if you did a search you would find at least one of my rants about crappy canal tow paths (mud, ice, darkness, narrowness, gravel, slippery brickwork, winos, etc) being presented as plausible cycling superhighways.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Ah okay.

It sounded like a tabloid expose "The shocking truth about Britain's canals..." :wink:
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

gordy wrote:I tend to think that it's a cultural thing... the British middle classes have an obsession about telling other people how to do their jobs...

I'm with you on this but it extends to all walks (or classes if you will) of life. In my experience any interest I've had has been set upon by gear heads, snobs, know it alls, critics, judgmental nuts, control freaks, megalomaniacs, sexists and racists. And that's just wine, sailing, canoeing, dog handling, bushcraft, bringing up kids, woodwork, chicken keeping, gardening and general oxygen consumption for my own purposes.

I'm just really glad I haven't come across any of that sort of bull dust in the world of cycling [emoji48]
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Heltor Chasca wrote:
gordy wrote:I tend to think that it's a cultural thing... the British middle classes have an obsession about telling other people how to do their jobs...

I'm with you on this but it extends to all walks (or classes if you will) of life. In my experience any interest I've had has been set upon by gear heads, snobs, know it alls, critics, judgmental nuts, control freaks, megalomaniacs, sexists and racists. And that's just wine, sailing, canoeing, dog handling, bushcraft, bringing up kids, woodwork, chicken keeping, gardening and general oxygen consumption for my own purposes.

I'm just really glad I haven't come across any of that sort of bull dust in the world of cycling

So what planet have you been living on to avoid sanctimonious patronisation about where and what you ride and what you wear? The Netherlands or something? :?

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

pjclinch wrote:So what planet have you been living on to avoid sanctimonious patronisation about where and what you ride and what you wear? The Netherlands or something? :?

Pete.

[emoji23] heh heh. I was trying to lighten my black comments! Obviously I've had loads thrown at me because I ride a bike and a wear normalish clothes as aposed to cycle specific kit. Apparently my hair is too long and my beard makes me look filthy. Nepalese prayer flags on my daughter's trailer bike are too liberal and the duck tape on her wellies mean I don't care enough to buy her a new pair.

But between you and me we are happy on our Planet. I'm guessing you live on it too [emoji6]
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

I've occasionally had Bikeability trainers try and tell me what's what. Yeah, right...

I just ignore the. The world is full of fools who's own lives are a shambles but they still feel compelled to tell others how to live theirs, and the wonderful World of cycles and training is no different.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.