Jackie Chan

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
Si

Jackie Chan

Post by Si »

I'm assuming that "doing a Jackie Chan", complete with sound effects, to get on your bike is taught country wide and not just around here (otherwise no one will know what the heck I'm on about)?
Well, it's finally happened. "Do a Jackie Chan" we said, accompanied by the "eeee-ya" and the kids just looked at us blankly. "You do know who Jackie Chan is don't you?"..."No"..."Bruce Lee?"..."no".

Suddenly feel old :oops: .
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Jackie Chan

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Si wrote:Suddenly feel old :oops: .

My father said on comming out of the bathroom " You know your getting old when your teeth fall out"

He,s been dead on the floor for 39 years, my teeth apart from the ones which needed pulling from my mouth becoming smaller than my teeth will fit (evolution) (4) and two wisdom compacted are still in :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Dean

Post by Dean »

Do you mean the bit where he leaps over the ladder?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fl43rq3Zqw

I'm not totally convinced of his suitability as a role model, going on the evidence.
Si

Post by Si »

Dean wrote:Do you mean the bit where he leaps over the ladder?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fl43rq3Zqw

I'm not totally convinced of his suitability as a role model, going on the evidence.

Kewl, I'd not seen that before!
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Probably even Jet Li is past it now for the kids, which really makes me feel old.
Rusty Rider

Post by Rusty Rider »

mrjemm wrote:Probably even Jet Li is past it now for the kids, which really makes me feel old.

Who is Jet Li? I'm 63 btw.
Peter
mjr

Post by mjr »

"This video contains content from Fortune Star Media, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."

:-(
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Dean

Post by Dean »

The video was posted four years ago.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

So what is "doing a Jackie Chan"?
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Si wrote:I'm assuming that "doing a Jackie Chan", complete with sound effects, to get on your bike is taught country wide and not just around here (otherwise no one will know what the heck I'm on about)?
Well, it's finally happened. "Do a Jackie Chan" we said, accompanied by the "eeee-ya" and the kids just looked at us blankly. "You do know who Jackie Chan is don't you?"..."No"..."Bruce Lee?"..."no".

why would they I am 55 and they were around in my teens. try something more modern like Kung foo Panda
NUKe

Post by AlaninWales »

NUKe wrote:
Si wrote:I'm assuming that "doing a Jackie Chan", complete with sound effects, to get on your bike is taught country wide and not just around here (otherwise no one will know what the heck I'm on about)?

why would they I am 55 and they were around in my teens. try something more modern like Kung foo Panda

Hong Kong Phooey?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

AlaninWales wrote:
NUKe wrote:

Hong Kong Phooey?

:roll:
I'm in my forties and only just remembered that reference. Ppl in primary school or early teens will have no chance.

Kung foot panda might work but only the preying mantis character does his kicks right like the op needs I reckon.

Is there any live action movie star that fresh enough for kids to know about?
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

mrjemm wrote: 16 May 2014, 9:41am Probably even Jet Li is past it now for the kids, which really makes me feel old.
Jet Li was and still is my favourite martial arts guy. Still on the go and still making moves and movies!
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Si wrote: 27 Feb 2014, 11:34am I'm assuming that "doing a Jackie Chan", complete with sound effects, to get on your bike is taught country wide and not just around here (otherwise no one will know what the heck I'm on about)?
I know very well who Jackie Chan is, but I'm afraid I wasn't a devotee of his movie output and I'm in the dark as to what "doing a Jackie Chan" to get on a bike might be. Never heard anything about it in >15 years of various courses.

Only movie reference I use is somewhat oblique, when we're prepping a snake for the first time. When you're snaking you're in Snake Club, and Snake Club has quite a lot of rules but the two most important are:
First Rule of Snake Club: No overtaking!
Second Rule of Snake Club: No overtaking!
Doubt the kids know where it's from, but they seem to quite like it anyway.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Si wrote: 27 Feb 2014, 11:34am ...
I'm wondering what %age of the forum can remember 2014.

[Isn't it odd that this - of all possible threads - has limped on through the years, at barely a post-per-year? ]