Forum Update Issues

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
Bonefishblues

Re: Forum Update Issues

Post by Bonefishblues »

bikepacker wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 8:56am I can clear the old posts by logging out and the logging back in. All I really want is for the 'New Posts' just to show those posted since I last viewed the forum. Many other forums have that facility.
Quick Links at top LHS

"Unread Posts"
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

bikepacker wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 8:56am I can clear the old posts by logging out and the logging back in. All I really want is for the 'New Posts' just to show those posted since I last viewed the forum. Many other forums have that facility.
I think you can achieve that already with the 'unread posts' screen so long as you 'mark all read' when you have read those that interest you.
boblo

Post by boblo »

thirdcrank wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 9:05am
I think you can achieve that already with the 'unread posts' screen so long as you 'mark all read' when you have read those that interest you.
That's what it did before the upgrade. I never manually log out/in. When I close a browser window and then open a new one, the forum showed those posts that had been made between the two sessions. It doesn't do this now. Is that by design?
Last edited by boblo on 12 May 2021, 8:51am, edited 3 times in total.
gaz

Post by gaz »

A batch of older pictures have disappeared, 404 error.

Repeat of the 2016 update issue?
Last edited by gaz on 2 Jun 2023, 9:44am, edited 1 time in total.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

gaz wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 9:08pm A batch of older pictures have disappeared, 404 error.

e.g: Image

Repeat of the 2016 update issue?
Yes, now fixed. Thanks for pointing this out :)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Is the noti-quoti different now, if one is quoted, then the quote is quoted, does one get a noti without a quoti?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 12:57pm Is the noti-quoti different now, if one is quoted, then the quote is quoted, does one get a noti without a quoti?
Yes, it certainly seems no notification is sent for quotes of quotes any more.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
AMC

Board Appearance Change

Post by AMC »

Am I right in thinking that the Board layouts have been changed? I can't see how to change back to the layout I'm used to in the board preferences - it only seems to give Cycling Uk light or dark options.

More urgently, I can't see how to directly reply to posts, and people are not seeing my PMs. I'd appreciate any pointers in this direction. :D
Ride-sleep-repeat

Re: Board Appearance Change

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=145043

There are various threads on the Using the Forum board.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Forum software had to be updated for maintainability and the old themes had been discontinued (not available under the new forum software version).

Button layouts are not too dissimilar. I use the dark theme and there are buttons above and below the existing posts, left side "Post Reply".

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The recent change of theme is discussed in Forum Update Issues.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=145045

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

AMC wrote: 11 May 2021, 2:52pm....
More urgently, I can't see how to directly reply to posts, and people are not seeing my PMs. I'd appreciate any pointers in this direction. :D
You seem to have managed to have replied to posts under the new board layouts (quite a few replies since the change which happened back beginning of April).

Are your PMs not being sent or not being read? (Sometimes people take some time to read their PMs, sometimes people reach their sent PM storage limit).

Ian
AMC

Post by AMC »

Thanks for getting back 🙂

Replying to the thread seems fine, it's private messages that are the problem - I can't see how to send one directly from the post, so try to send directly to their account name. It's from there that people have said they can't see the initial private message, or I simply don't hear anything at all. However, I am able to respond to PM's once they arrive in my message box. Obviously operator error 🙄

I'm a bit sad about the changes and restrictions to the board appearance options - apart from anything else I find the current options quite difficult to read (I'm not dyslexic or generally have problems reading). What was the rationale behind it?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

AMC wrote: 11 May 2021, 3:46pm Thanks for getting back 🙂

Replying to the thread seems fine, it's private messages that are the problem - I can't see how to send one directly from the post, so try to send directly to their account name. It's from there that people have said they can't see the initial private message, or I simply don't hear anything at all. However, I am able to respond to PM's once they arrive in my message box. Obviously operator error 🙄

I'm a bit sad about the changes and restrictions to the board appearance options - apart from anything else I find the current options quite difficult to read (I'm not dyslexic or generally have problems reading). What was the rationale behind it?
(Using dark theme) To send a PM to somebody, if it's from a post they have made click on a small speech bubble to the right at under the user's name next to contact (below "Joined, below Posts") - small pop-up you then click. Or, click in the users name (to right of their post) which displays their profile page with a section in middle "Contact <username>" which left side contact a link "Send private message".

There was no choice about updating the software as new version needed for compatibility with servers and the old themes had been discontinued some time ago. Options of themes is now broader than before.

Ian
boblo

Post by boblo »

boblo wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 8:00pm
thirdcrank wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 9:05am
That's what it did before the upgrade. I never manually log out/in. When I close a browser window and then open a new one, the forum showed those posts that had been made between the two sessions. It doesn't do this now. Is that by design?

Read posts are being removed from 'my list' now just as it was before the update. So FIXED! :D