"Biased"

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
biketips666

"Biased"

Post by biketips666 »

Good heavens, mods. You deleted an entire post because I said that somebody's perspective was "biased"? That isn't an insult, it isn't abuse. It's a statement of opinion.
Vorpal

Re: "Biased"

Post by Vorpal »

I have to admit that I didn't see this until now.

I don't see anything in the moderator logs that matches what you describe: a deleted post with an explanation that says you said something was biased.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
biketips666

Post by biketips666 »

Well, part of the reason for my question mark was that I assumed that was the reason. But I didn't receive an explanation of any sort, and as the post had simply disappeared, totally, that was my guess, based on what I could remember of the contents.

I've also been ordered not to correspond with the moderators, so I'm afraid this has to be a public reply, if I'm to comply with that order.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Well, you know what they say about assumptions....

We have been accused of bias before, and no doubt will be again, but what bias do you believe has occurred here?

The mod who dealt with your reports simply felt that the threads were fine as they were & didn't need to be moved. We do occasionally move stuff, but many threads fit more than one sub-forum & we do not have specific criteria. We also sometimes change the sub-forums if one isn't used much, or a natural split seems to be occurring.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
biketips666

Post by biketips666 »

Vorpal wrote: 4 Aug 2021, 8:27am Well, you know what they say about assumptions....

We have been accused of bias before, and no doubt will be again, but what bias do you believe has occurred here?

The mod who dealt with your reports simply felt that the threads were fine as they were & didn't need to be moved. We do occasionally move stuff, but many threads fit more than one sub-forum & we do not have specific criteria. We also sometimes change the sub-forums if one isn't used much, or a natural split seems to be occurring.
I think you've misunderstood.

I made a post in which I said that I thought another poster was "biased", because of their own interests/hobbies/experience/social connections. That post disappeared, without explanation.

The post which disappeared wasn't anything at all to do with the "wrong sub-forum posting" thing. I didn't "accuse" the mods of bias. I "accused" another poster, who isn't a mod, of bias.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

biketips666 wrote: 4 Aug 2021, 10:43am
Vorpal wrote: 4 Aug 2021, 8:27am Well, you know what they say about assumptions....

I think you've misunderstood.

I made a post in which I said that I thought another poster was "biased", because of their own interests/hobbies/experience/social connections. That post disappeared, without explanation.

The post which disappeared wasn't anything at all to do with the "wrong sub-forum posting" thing. I didn't "accuse" the mods of bias. I "accused" another poster, who isn't a mod, of bias.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I have not found anything in the moderator logs that indicates any of your posts were deleted.
slowster

Post by slowster »

biketips666 wrote: 4 Aug 2021, 10:43am I made a post in which I said that I thought another poster was "biased", because of their own interests/hobbies/experience/social connections. That post disappeared, without explanation.
It may not be what happened to you, but I find that occasionally the forum software logs me out without warning, especially after a period of inactivity (and the time spent typing a post will be seen as inactivity by the forum software). As a result when I was still new to the forum I found that it was easy to lose a post that I had typed.

There was even the odd occasion when thought that I had successfully submitted a post, only to find that it had not appeared in the thread. That was the result of being logged out by the forum and confusing the preview text with a submitted post.

I learned that if I had clicked on the Preview or Submit buttons and found then that the software had logged me out, I could get back to the page still with all the text of my post in edit mode by using the 'back' button (either after logging on again in that same tab, or better still after opening a new tab and using that to log on).