Like Dislike buttons

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
Geoff.D

Dear Admin - what about a "like"button?

Post by Geoff.D »

This is by way of an open letter to Admin.

I've often thought it would be good if there were a "like" button in our forum posts, similar to the "like" on facebook posts. It would allow me to acknowledge/thank a particular person's contribution, without having to post with quote. I know we get round it somewhat by posting "+1", but it's not quite the same.

Is it possible?
Heltor Chasca

Re: Dear Admin - what about a "like"button?

Post by Heltor Chasca »

+1
Geoff.D

Re: Dear Admin - what about a "like"button?

Post by Geoff.D »

Heltor Chasca wrote:Like

+1

Of course, Heltor Chasca, there's only one response possible, to recognise your sense of fun, - "Like. +1".
But it's becoming a much overused cliche.
:lol: :lol:
Manc33

Re: Like Dislike buttons

Post by Manc33 »

One of the reasons I left Facebook was because they removed the dislike option.

They must think we all wear rose tinted glasses.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

hondated wrote:Not being a technophobe, if that is the right way to describe it, I am not sure whether one day we will run out of space on this Forum.
If there is a possibility of that ever happening wouldn't it be a good idea to introduce the same sort of system that CycleChat use in providing various buttons to like dislike etc various contributions to threads.
This would also prevent many of us merely repeating what other forum members have already stated.

Would this be too difficult to introduce or not.

Often became a very cliquey form of bullying though
mjr

Post by mjr »

hondated wrote:If there is a possibility of that ever happening wouldn't it be a good idea to introduce the same sort of system that CycleChat use in providing various buttons to like dislike etc various contributions to threads.

CC has had at least two attempts at installing such a system but it's been removed every time and only the "Like" button remains. Disagreeing without explaining is actually against their site's rules, not that you'd know it sometimes.

Cunobelin wrote:Often became a very cliquey form of bullying though

No worse than the various people who post "+1" and similar to support other people's personal attacks. You need good moderators with good tools to stop bullying and I don't think CC's software gives their mods good tools.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

cliquey and clicky :lol: :lol:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Many of us are optimists, utopians, am I right?
Therefore there could be a LIKE button but there must be no dislike button
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
gaz

Post by gaz »

Add a Schrödinger button. Single press, 50/50 chance of like/dislike but you don't know which one you'll generate until after you've pushed it :mrgreen: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

gaz wrote:Add a Schrödinger button. Single press, 50/50 chance of like/dislike but you don't know which one you'll generate until after you've pushed it :mrgreen: .

So, if I press it twice are the odds halved or doubled?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
gaz

Post by gaz »

Single press. Like the poll options on the forum once you make your choice to press the button you can't have another go.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Vorpal wrote:

cliquey and clicky :lol: :lol:

Boom, Boom!
RickH

Post by RickH »

Manc33 wrote:One of the reasons I left Facebook was because they removed the dislike option.

They brought back more choice but in a different form - if you hover over the like icon you now get 5 choices labelled as "Like", "Love", "Haha", "Wow", "Sad" & "Angry". So there is more than just like or dislike now & it seems to work OK.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

RickH wrote:
Manc33 wrote:One of the reasons I left Facebook was because they removed the dislike option.

They brought back more choice but in a different form - if you hover over the like icon you now get 5 choices labelled as "Like", "Love", "Haha", "Wow", "Sad" & "Angry". So there is more than just like or dislike now & it seems to work OK.

OK but it originally was OK before I left it, with just like and dislike.

I think there's overpaid managers with a lot of time on their hands working at places like Facebook, YouTube and so on. They have to be seen to be doing something, so they make changes and revamp things, but not necessarily for the better, that side of it is an afterthought if they can get away with it seeming like they improved something.

Usually there's umpteen staff members all saying why its not going to work before they do it but managers don't listen.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
soapbox

Post by soapbox »

Just like to add my pennyworth to this, after wondering why there aren't like/dislike buttons. I don't think dislike buttons would add anything to the forum, but like, or upticks, would. They are a way of agreeing with or endorsing a comment, creating a consensus of experience and knowledge that can be trusted, without cluttering up a thread with comments agreeing with the original post. For example, a post asking for advice can return a number of comments with conflicting advice, and the like or uptick facility would be an easy way of endorsing a comment simply and easily. The comment with most likes is the one that most people agree with, and therefore a reasonable endorsement of said comment. The Guardian uses likes only and it works well as a consensus indicator -I often use it when reading the 'Bicycle of the Week' articles on a Sunday.