Like Dislike buttons

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
hondated

Like Dislike buttons

Post by hondated »

Not being a technophobe, if that is the right way to describe it, I am not sure whether one day we will run out of space on this Forum.
If there is a possibility of that ever happening wouldn't it be a good idea to introduce the same sort of system that CycleChat use in providing various buttons to like dislike etc various contributions to threads.
This would also prevent many of us merely repeating what other forum members have already stated.

Would this be too difficult to introduce or not.
Vantage

Re: Like Dislike buttons

Post by Vantage »

Like.

:lol:
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

This has been discussed before. Sorry, can't remember when, and I have tried searching.

From what I remember, it can't be done using the forum software ...................... despite being a good idea IMO.
PhpBB software doesn't "like" it. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks Vorpal, I knew it was somewhere.

It seems I've changed my tune. I didn't like the idea then, but I do now.
Mick F. Cornwall
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

As a Tapatalk user I can and do leave 'likes'
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

no-one else can see them though...

tapatalk is basically evil as far as I can see -100MB of app for what?

I'm sure it used to be paid for as well, and I note that is still takes "in app purchases"

The worst bit is the offensive adverts it puts over the top of supported forums when being browsed by a browser. At least they could support a 'per user' setting to "go away"
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

[XAP]Bob wrote:no-one else can see them though...

tapatalk is basically evil as far as I can see -100MB of app for what?

I'm sure it used to be paid for as well, and I note that is still takes "in app purchases"

The worst bit is the offensive adverts it puts over the top of supported forums when being browsed by a browser. At least they could support a 'per user' setting to "go away"

Often wondered can other Tapatalk users see them? They can on Other forums I use.
I don't know where you get 100Mb from, as looking at mine just now its using 445Mb which has grown from a 73Mb download. For keeping everything together easily found and uniformity between various sites.
As for in app purchases...79pence must be value to get rid of adverts if that's what it does. I coughed up my pennies for the pro version years ago so have never been bothered by any advertising.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Why?
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

+1 to the suggestion of such buttons but it's clearly not going to happen. Pity.
Sweep
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It might happen when I upgrade to the latest phpBB3, which is on the cards sometime soon.

There's a mostly-finished extension for phpBB 3.1 that adds a "like"/"love" option: https://github.com/satanasov/postlove

And another that adds a "thanks for this post" button: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2259046

The second looks probably better, and better supported. I'll test it on the test version of this forum.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Thanks everyone for your contributions to this thread and it seems we may get this facility very soon.
admin I take my hat off to you I wouldn't have a clue on how to do it.
gaz

Post by gaz »

The OP could have set this up as a poll, "Do you want a like button: Yes/No" but no, he started a thread where forum members have to repeat what another forum member has already stated to make their view known :wink: . The irony :lol: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

mattsccm wrote:Why?

"Like"
Si

Post by Si »

'Like' buttons....fair enough. 'Dislike' buttons....not keen....can make someone feel victimised just because they don't follow the herd, and if disliked it gives no indication why, unlike a reply stating why, and if you have a reply stating why then you don't need the dislike button.