Moderation (from Another pothole death)

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Can I ask a question? Been following this post, and commenting. Looking this morning and all my posts have disappeared. How does the system work, I don't think I've said anything controversial, but, now not sure. Are they arbitrarily removed without any notification?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Posts written in all innocence can often be read the wrong way. Mine included.
As Vorpal has said, best to leave speculation out of it for now as the exact cause of the accident is still unknown.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Vorpal

Re: Moderation (from Another pothole death)

Post by Vorpal »

I removed most of the speculation, and those posts that I felt could be taken as victim blaming. It is preserved in a moderators' area of the board, and if the people who posted feel strongly that they want to continue discussing the victim / council responsibility aspect of such things as potholes in the road, we can do so on another thread.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

There were a number of posts stating points of view to the effect that cyclists need to look out for hazards and couldn't/shouldn't entirely depend on highway authorities to make them disappear. As far as I recall none of them were victim blaming (we don't know the full circumstances of the incident), but it might well be considered insensitive to discuss such things in a thread about a tragic death possibly related to such a hazard. There were other posts basically saying that cyclists should always be able to rely on a good road surface These were also not directly relevant to the thread topic.

The former posts were deleted without warning or notification to those who made them. The latter posts are still there.

I would like to make 2 points
1) If general discussion about responsibility for potholes was inappropriate on that thread, then all such posts should have been moved or deleted; not just those which disagreed with the moderator's POV.
2) It was probably insensitive to have such discussion on that thread; should "being insensitive" be a reason for censorship?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

As I stated previously, the posts have been preserved and can be restored, elsewhere, if people want them. There have been threads on this forum about such things before. I just didn't think they were appropriate for that particular thread.