notifications about new posts in a topic

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
Trail Beater

notifications about new posts in a topic

Postby Trail Beater » 23 Apr 2016, 4:40pm

I would like to see a notifications alert to tell me of new posts in the threads I have participated in.
It's sometimes difficult to keep up to date with conversations,and the only way(I think) you can do this is "view your posts"

Vorpal

Re: notifications about new posts in a topic

Postby Vorpal » 23 Apr 2016, 8:19pm

If you scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page, and click on 'subscribe topic', an email will be sent to your registered email address informing you of new posts.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 23 Apr 2016, 8:31pm

Hi,
So this is different than in control panel.............mmmmmm cant find that anymore :?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 24 Apr 2016, 6:10am

Vorpal wrote:If you scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page, and click on 'subscribe topic', an email will be sent to your registered email address informing you of new posts.
It depends on what board preference you have.

Mine is at the top.
Screen Shot 2016-04-24 at 06.09.03.png
Mick F. Cornwall

Trail Beater

Postby Trail Beater » 24 Apr 2016, 9:40am

Vorpal wrote:If you scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page, and click on 'subscribe topic', an email will be sent to your registered email address informing you of new posts.

Got it Vorpal,thanks :roll: :D

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 24 Apr 2016, 11:16am

Hi,
Has it changed :?:
I thought the option to receive emails to post you replied to was in the control panel.
So you can chose which individual post you receive email notifications now :?:
Might be me getting old.

gaz

Postby gaz » 24 Apr 2016, 1:02pm

User Control Panel > Manage Subscriptions will let you "switch off" any topics you are currently following and don't wish to follow anymore but I don't recall a "switch on" facility in the UCP.
There'll be tarmac over, the white cliffs of Dover ...

drossall

Postby drossall » 24 Apr 2016, 6:12pm

It's not usual to have "switch on" facility in the panel, because you'd need a list of all the threads in order to find the one you wanted. That's called a forum :lol:

Trail Beater

Postby Trail Beater » 24 Apr 2016, 8:54pm

It wasn't so much an email alert I was talking about,but an alert to new posts on the actual site.
Taking you to the first unread.
If that already exists,I don't know about it.

drossall

Postby drossall » 24 Apr 2016, 9:04pm

You can assume that there will be new posts all the time. Using View Active Topics, bottom right* on the main forum page, I'm looking at one every three to ten minutes. Wouldn't that many emails be annoying?

I just View Active Topics regularly.

Does that help?

* Edit: actually, it may be in a different place, depending on the forum style/theme that you use. Top left appears to be the default.
Last edited by drossall on 24 Apr 2016, 9:17pm, edited 2 times in total.

Trail Beater

Postby Trail Beater » 24 Apr 2016, 9:12pm

Good point actually.
My mobile is working overtime in the corner,and it is all emails from notifications.
Does the active Topics not take you into all new posts,and not just the ones subscribed to ?

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 24 Apr 2016, 9:14pm

Active topics are the ones with the most recent posts on them, without association to any subscription, or whether you have posted on them.

If you click on 'your posts', all of the threads on which you have posted will be in chronological order according to the last post on the thread (newest at the top).

If you click on 'new posts', all posts will be in chronological order according to the last post on the thread (newest at the top).

If you click on 'unread posts', all posts that you haven't read will be in chronological order according to the last post on the thread (newest at the top).

If you click on 'unanswered posts', all posts that have not had any posted responses will be in chronological order according to the last post on the thread (newest at the top).

Otherwise, you can use the advanced search function, or read by subforum.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 25 Apr 2016, 12:12am

Hi,
I thought that there was a tick box in control panel to notify me via email of replies to posts that I had posted on, but I can no longer find it?
Does subscribe on a particular page within only send email notifications of new posts on that question / post :?:

My email notification of new posts to ones I have posted to, have returned after work on the forum software recently, so I am fine with what I am getting.

I never worked out how all the stuff works on the forum like the "search" at all, I cant be that IT enough :(

drossall

Postby drossall » 25 Apr 2016, 8:05am

As above. To get notifications from a thread, subscribe in that thread (which will happen by default if you post in a thread). You subscribe individually to each thread as you read it or post in it. All those subscriptions together give you the notifications you receive.

You wouldn't want notifications for all threads, because you'd get overwhelmed and it's quicker to come back and read one of the lists described by Vorpal. And to turn on subscriptions for lots of threads, you need a way of seeing those threads and choosing the ones of interest. That is the forum itself, which is why you have to look through and subscribe to each thread of interest.

Does that put it more clearly? I'm not sure it does, but I've tried.

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 26 Apr 2016, 12:21pm

Hi,
I am not sure :)

Put it this way, IF I wanted to turn off All email notifications for replies to threads I have posted to how would you do that :?: