themes

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
Psamathe

Re: themes

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote:I'm on a Mac, and I don't have any horizontal scroll bars.

A lot of variables like physical screen size, version of retina/graphics board, scaling the screen is running at, etc. (which I guess is why layouts take a fair testing on a lot of platforms and changes can cause weird effects).

BUT, the text in the post text entry box has now gone to a sensible font/size again (back to what it was previously I suspect). A lot better. Same size as the Subject text entry. I.e. the text I'm typing now is "right", looks "right" and matches things.

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Are you saying something has changed?
As far as I can see, there's no visible difference between the old system and this new system with respect to font or size.
Nothing's changed.

Mind you, I use Subsilver2.
Swapping to Prosilver makes things bigger on the Board Index, but that's all.
Posting box and the individual message boards are the same font and size as they always were.
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote:Are you saying something has changed?
As far as I can see, there's no visible difference between the old system and this new system with respect to font or size.
Nothing's changed.

Mind you, I use Subsilver2.
Swapping to Prosilver makes things bigger on the Board Index, but that's all.
Posting box and the individual message boards are the same font and size as they always were.

On prosilver (which used to be excellent for mobile use), the font and font size in the post body text entry size has changed (font) and reduced (size) back to be sensible again. The previous font/size was weird and not aesthetic but, apart for a little dancing around when the entry box auto-expanded below the bottom of the browser window a bit weird, not a major issue. But it has changed back to something more sensible now.

If you are on a different style you will be using a different style and will not be seeing the issues. Unfortunately the subsilver is not great on mobiles (maybe it is an old style or just not designed for mobile use).

Ian
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Psamathe wrote:After the initial release, the latest version has very small text when reading a thread for each post (i.e. the bit people have written). This is smaller than the release version.

I think something is wrong somewhere. The main "tweak" I did was to increase the font size when reading a thread!

You said earlier that you have posted screenshots: please could you point me to them?

Psamathe wrote:In the list of posts in each forum section, the title of the post has got significantly bigger and this is what has messed up the mobile version (where screen space is very limited on small screen phones). i.e. was good, then tweaked now you get massively less on the screen (font size changes are very significant on small screens).

All is well on my small screen devices. What are you using?

Psamathe wrote:I'd suggest renaming the current (tweaked/broken) prosilver to e.g. CTCprosilver (or whatever) and restore the original prosilver (i.e. original as when 1st installed). The 1st installed version was much better of small phone screens as well.

I may well do that, but needed to get some fixes for the too-small text in quickly as that was an obvious flaw with Prosilver.

Psamathe wrote:Using Mac/Safari on a physically small but high res screen.

Ah, that's useful information, thank you.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Psamathe wrote:Unfortunately the subsilver is not great on mobiles (maybe it is an old style or just not designed for mobile use).

Both of the above. ProSilver is the core phpBB3 style, and as such is maintained officially by the community.

SubSilver was a reproduction of the default style from phpBB2, from about ten years ago. It was built by someone when phpBB3 was released, so people who preferred the old style could revert. We upgraded the CTC Forum to phpBB3 in 2009: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21563 and there were lots of "I don't like the new look!" complaints then, as now (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=21616) so I installed SubSilver to keep a few people happier.

As I write this, 99.94% of Forum users are using the default Prosilver style, only 18 users have decided to switch to SubSilver. That number may well increase slowly with time, but it's still a tiny proportion of Forum users.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Psamathe wrote:I assume that this problem with the fonts is now not going to be fixed.

I cannot have to scroll left and right on each line of some posts. The font size (from the 1st release) has "broken".

I have not been able to reproduce any problem with fonts, but am very happy to look at screen shots to see if I can diagnose what is going wrong for you.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

That Subsilver is OK for folk who mainly use laptops to access the forum. Its a bit too small on a tablet and much too small on a phone. But the Prosilver works perfectly on my Hudl tablet and Moto E phone. The only thing is if you want to go straight to the last post on a topic there is no way of seeing who made it or accessing it other than clicking on the last page and scrolling down. Well done Graham!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

admin wrote:...
You said earlier that you have posted screenshots: please could you point me to them?...

Example of the horizontal scroll bars from earlier in the thread
Image.
They were not on every post, only a few and you could get rid of them by changing the browser window width, narrower or wider (though you might then get some of other posts elsewhere). They were not for large amounts of scrolling but were bad enough to truncate the ends of lines e.g. "do" may have been "don't" with the "n't" chopped off.

admin wrote:
Psamathe wrote:After the initial release, the latest version has very small text when reading a thread for each post (i.e. the bit people have written). This is smaller than the release version.

I think something is wrong somewhere. The main "tweak" I did was to increase the font size when reading a thread!....

I'm just popping back to check this thread occasionally and I'm using other forums in the mean time and there have been several font/size changes so my "compared to release" is probably getting unreliable now as I'm only mentally "comparing" and not seeing each change. Are you sure the text in the post body has increased 'cos it is quite small. I'm fine with the size but I'm surprised others are not wanting larger (but as they are not, then I'd not change it). I'm sure people would be screaming if it was any smaller.

The one font that does seem to have increased in size is the post subject in the lists of posts. Earlier this was terrible on the iPhone but just checking and it seems better. Looks a bit clunky on the laptop (but that is aesthetics NOT functionality.

The font and size for entering post body text is fine now (the switch to Menlo? and larger was not great).

The font for viewing post texts is "compact" horizontally (or maybe just small) and is not the same font/size as used in e.g. typing new post body text. I suspect this is where the post reading is not as clear. Vertical size+spacing looks about the same.

admin wrote:...All is well on my small screen devices. What are you using?...

Small screen iPhone. Which is looking better than it did after some of the tweaks at some point.

Sorry if I can't be 100% on comparisons but I don't want to say something which is not accurate because I'm not keeping logs, etc. and as I say, been doing other things so recollection for comparison is not 100%.

(Hope that answered everything)

Ian
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks, Ian, that's all useful symptoms to help diagnose.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

admin wrote:Thanks, Ian, that's all useful symptoms to help diagnose.

Any chance of the original theme being put back (even as a 3rd theme 'cos I'm trying again and post text too small, horizontal scroll bars, auto extending text entry boxes dance around. Or some other themes - I'm not fussy, just want something I can use and read!

It is bad for my browser and I've tried afresh and it is not good. Every other forum I use is fine, just this one is a disaster (to the point of being too hard work to use actively).

Ian
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Psamathe wrote:Any chance of the original theme being put back

Which theme do you mean by "the original theme"?

I'm not that keen on spending my own time installing a theme and having to maintain it just for one person...
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

admin wrote:
Psamathe wrote:Any chance of the original theme being put back

Which theme do you mean by "the original theme"?

I'm not that keen on spending my own time installing a theme and having to maintain it just for one person...

Original ProSilver (does not have to be called "ProSilver" - name irrelevant) i.e. keep whatever Prosilver has been changed to and re-install the original ProSilver as e.g. ProSilver-Original (or whatever).

Ian
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Is there a way to see the names of the thread-starters rather than the last-repliers in the lists of forum threads? E.g. here. I see both names on my computer but only the last-repliers on my phone. I’d rather see the thread-starters if there’s only room for one name.

I’ll survive just fine if this is impossible. Just wondering.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Samuel D wrote:Is there a way to see the names of the thread-starters rather than the last-repliers in the lists of forum threads? E.g. here. I see both names on my computer but only the last-repliers on my phone. I’d rather see the thread-starters if there’s only room for one name.

I’ll survive just fine if this is impossible. Just wondering.

Name of thread starter is under the thread title on the left.

Ian
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

On my Mac, yes. Not on my iPhone. On my iPhone, I only see “Last post by [username]”.