themes

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
freiston

Re: themes

Post by freiston »

I opened up the forum from my bookmark and hated what I saw!

I use Tapatalk on my phone (it seems to work ok for me) and only use the forum website on my desktop and monitor. Generally speaking, I don't like sites designed to work across device types - usually ends up a bad compromise or good for phones/tablets and bad for 'proper monitors' (or vice versa) - half the width of my monitor screen is white margins when I visit the new-look Evans website.

Back to the forum (nothing funny happened on the way) - using a Benq 22" monitor at 1920 x 1080, Firefox web browser - I switched the theme to subsilver2 and the browser default font size from 16 to 18 and all looks more or less how it did before the upgrade - I'm a lot happier now. :D
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I've checked on my phone and on my iPad, and the default Prosilver layout is very good indeed. Far clearer and easier to see/read than before.
OTOH, the Subsilver2 version isn't very good at all. I have always preferred Subsilver2 on a computer and a device, but now I'll need to swap over to Prosilver for devices.
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

The list of threads page is bugger and even worse (looks "clunky" and just takes more space for the same info.

The text entry making a post is much bigger text and very "Noddy and Big Ears does beginners forum" (i.e. worse).

The post text is still Helvetica and terrible.

We don't all have mega display so massive text is terrible. The previous size was fine, it was the character spacing (horizontal) that was so bad. Definitely need to go back to the font size it was yesterday and sort out the font (character spacing).

The size thing makes it look really terrible (apart from getting so little on the screen because you have a large font list of posts, go into a post and you are into sensible sized fonts. No consistency (looks like several different people have designed it and they all disagree on layout and they don't compromise).

But, mobile support is excellent (don't tweak it).

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I was typing in a long serious post just now and gave up. This new font/text is truly dreadful.

Maybe a benefit of the new layout but I doubt I'll be posting much it is so bad. Ease of use IS important.

Ian
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

There are differences between the old and new look and perhaps minor tweaks could enhance some things but...... I'm shocked at the reaction to the change. It's far from a revolution in it's look, more a slight evolution, and we know there'll always be some edges to sand off. Had it been a windows 7 to 8 style change then I'd expect a big reaction.

Neither wonder we live in a country that never adopts radical changes that would benefit us all. Anyay I'm sure Admin do this work voluntarily or for small cost so their efforts shouldn't be shot down in flames seeing that minor alterations can be done to make most happy again.

Can we have a "likes" thumbs up sign :lol: :lol: :lol: ............. the BS world of facebook.
mjr

Post by mjr »

old_windbag wrote:Can we have a "likes" thumbs up sign :lol: :lol: :lol: ............. the BS world of facebook.

Whereas we're currently in the BS world of AOL, with people posting empty "me too!!!1!"s which could be avoided with a simple like or agree button.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

I was being fascicious in that the modern world of everyone "likes" as per facebook, does not have a "dislike" thumbs down. Facebooks attitude is one of "promoting harmony on the internet", which is poppycock.

We live in a very shallow world where everyone has to either "like" something or shut up. To demonstrate opposition to someones view is seen as unconstructive and damaging :roll: .
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

More font issues. Sometimes width of the text and soem calculations being done somewhere cause a horizontal scroll bar to appear at the bottom of a text only post
Untitled copy.jpg

Nothing to do with the browse window width and making it narrower can sometimes cause the scroll bar to disappear as the text wraps differently. Some of text is chopped-off on the right edge.

(Note it s a text only post, no images or anything, just text)

Ian
mjr

Post by mjr »

old_windbag wrote:We live in a very shallow world where everyone has to either "like" something or shut up. To demonstrate opposition to someones view is seen as unconstructive and damaging :roll: .

Surely the absence of the dislike button encourages people with different views to explain those views? There's far more information and development in exploring that than having loads of people posting "I agree"
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

mjr wrote:Surely the absence of the dislike button encourages people with different views to explain those views? There's far more information and development in exploring that than having loads of people posting "I agree"

The way in which Facebook uses the "likes" only system creates a sycophantic environment where generally attention seekers need to be appeased by "likes". Fortunately as a forum this one avoids that situation by there being at times "heated" debate.... this is good. Perhaps its the age range on here that allow that, they won't go off forum and do something drastic because their view isn't shared by many.

Oh I hope you realise I want neither "likes" or "dislikes" buttons on here. I personally feel that mass debating is much more constructive and beneficial.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Might be me but the "Italics" has better clarity?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Testing testing testing.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Put me out of my misery :cry:

Do we have a spell checker that gives options / one to pick, I know there a basic typing correction that works on 5% of words :?:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I've just done the switch to subsilver. It's certainly a change, which smacks of the 'change for change's sake' ethos - but perhaps this is not the time or place to dwell on that line of thought.....

In the prosilver mode, I notice that the 'report' and 'quote' buttons are very close together, which may lead to mis-clicks. I recall that this became an issue a little while ago: people were hitting 'report' in mistake for 'quote', and troubling the Mods for no reason. Also the symbols could perhaps be a bit more self-explanatory: OK people will surely understand the " for quote but maybe not the ! for report.

Anyway I'll 'wait and see'. My days of making a huge fuss when a forum changes its skin, are hopefully over. I learned my lesson at another place - the hard way!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

The increase in some font sizes (titles, thread lists, etc.) has also messed-up the mobile presentation - too big, very little on the screen. Was great before but can't really use it now.

Back to the previous sizes, but change the text font for the post texts (e.g. back to what it was in previous theme - which had character horizontal spacing you could read).

And switching to the old theme is on on Desk/laptop but useless on mobile.

Ian