minimising....

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
661-Pete

minimising....

Post by 661-Pete »

...by which I mean, marking certain individuals on this forum so that you can't read their posts. Something I have, with some reluctance, chosen to do over the past few days.

Doesn't work, because people will keep quoting their posts, so you get to see them anyway, enclosed in others' posts.

Admittedly, I don't think the Admins of this forum can do anything about this, it's probably hardwired into the phpBB forum 'engine'.

A pity. Not much point then. I think I'll clear the list... :(
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: minimising....

Post by Mick F »

Yes, it's the "Ignore" function.
It only ignores the posts from the member you wish to ignore, but anyone can quote anything - even from your ignored member - and you will see it because it's from a non-ignored source.

I'm on another forum - non-cycling - and there was a chap on there who was hounding me and complaining about everything I posted. I wasn't the first victim, he was swapping and changing victims as he saw fit. I put him on my Ignored list, but I could still see his posts when quoted.

I PM'd the mods and threatened to leave the forum because of him. I was persuaded to stay and no doubt he was told to lay off. He didn't, so I complained again, and he was banned. Good riddance. :D

Therefore, if you have problems with someone, PM the mods.
Mick F. Cornwall
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Don't misunderstand me! I am not, repeat not, being trolled or verbally abused by any person. I wouldn't use the Ignore function in such circumstances: I'd prefer to see what the offender posts and then if necessary report it.

No: it's just that I'm finding the output of certain individuals is getting tiresome! I would not wish to see anyone banned or suspended for that reason, but I'd like to be a bit more selective. Life's too short to read everything posted here!

Incidentally, and I may have already mentioned this, in one of my previous existences on Another Place, some years ago, what you describe did happen to me: I got trolled by another person (not, to the best of my belief, a member of this forum). Eventually I complained, and the sole response by that forum's Administrator was to put me, and my assailant, each on each other's Ignore list. My reaction to this manoeuvre was predictable.... :evil:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

I share the experience of the OP regarding seeing quoted posts from ignored individuals.

However, I tend to ignore people where I find their use of language annoying, so if somebody else wades through their stream of consciousness, extracts the interesting bit, and quotes it, I see that as a bonus!

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my XT1039 using hovercraft full of eels.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

661-Pete wrote: Life's too short to read everything posted here!
You're telling me! :lol: :lol:
I try, but never succeed.
The best thing to do is not bother reading the threads that bore or offend.
I tend not to look at quite a few threads/sections generally.

We have a good system of alerts. All it needs is for someone to alert and add a few words into the alert window, and the mods - and me and others - will see it and act accordingly.

We run a tight ship here, and I reckon that the vast majority of the forumites are proud of this forum and the way that it's run.
Mick F. Cornwall