Hiding part of a post - or attaching text documents to a post

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
AndyK

Hiding part of a post - or attaching text documents to a post

Post by AndyK »

I want to post a short reply then include a longer piece of text, but I don't want to end up creating a HUGE post as I find that annoying when others do it. Some PHPBB forums support a BBcode tag to hide part of a post until the reader clicks to reveal it - this would be ideal, as it would mean readers could read my top line, decide whether they're interested enough to read the rest of my post, and either click or move on. However I can't find that functionality on this forum. Am I just using the wrong code?

The obvious alternative would be to append my longer text as an attachment, but the attachment function won't accept Word (understandable), PDF (less understandable) or plain text files (not understandable at all).

I'd rather not upload the document elsewhere and link to it as it's really only relevant to this forum. It's not a big file - only a few KB as a text file.
661-Pete

Re: Hiding part of a post - or attaching text documents to a post

Post by 661-Pete »

I would have thought any sort of cloud storage facility would serve your needs. I occasionally use OneDrive (Microsoft's version). At the time when you upload your file, you can 'share' it but not make it public - this means that only someone* who has the link can view it. Then put the link in your post.

*(plus - no doubt - GCHQ/NSA/CIA/FBI/MI5/etc. etc. :evil: )
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
AndyK

Re: Hiding part of a post - or attaching text documents to a post

Post by AndyK »

It would, but it's preferable if a document that relates specifically to a forum post is hosted with the forum, so that it remains accessible to anyone reading the post for as long as that post continues to be published (and no longer). It may not matter to you, but as a long-time web manager I hate setting up things that are begging to become broken links at some future point.

Anyway, what I really want is a "hide and reveal" BBcode tag as used elsewhere. Attaching a document is a workaround.