Reducing an image to become an Avatar here

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
ACyclingRooster

Reducing an image to become an Avatar here

Post by ACyclingRooster »

Hi. I am having difficulty in resizing images from my PC - I am using :-- http://www.shrinkpictures.com

I am repeatedly getting the notice that the image size is Maximum dimensions; width: 80 pixels, height: 80 pixels, file size: 6.00 KiB.

I cannot equate the options of 760 Pixels 600 Pixels 350 Pixels 100 Pixels
Select New Maximum Image dimension 75% 50% 25%
Custom
maximum 1000px

with those required by the forum for my Avatar.

Your help would be most appreciated.
Your ears are rear end defenders - keep them free of clutter - use them in conjunction with your eyes.
gaz

Re: Reducing an image to become an Avatar here

Post by gaz »

Welcome to the forum :) .

Recent discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=110453

Resize by pixels in MS Paint, save as .jpeg

Interesting signature line :| .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
ACyclingRooster

Hi gaz. Thank you for your reply and the welcome and apparent suggestion to try :-- viewtopic.php?f=14&t=110453/ Resize by pixels in MS Paint, save as .jpeg

I will give a whiz.

Yes,my signature is one from experience gained over my 57yrs of riding the roads and by-ways of Great Britain and especially over the latter 20yrs since the advent of the 'Walk-man' and even more latterly the mobile phone and the music files revolution.
Your ears are rear end defenders - keep them free of clutter - use them in conjunction with your eyes.
robgul

Post by robgul »

Better than that is a free prog called PhotoFiltre - Google and you'll find it - pretty much a poor man's PhotoShop but totally intuitive to use

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
ACyclingRooster

robgul wrote:Better than that is a free prog called PhotoFiltre - Google and you'll find it - pretty much a poor man's PhotoShop but totally intuitive to use

Rob

Hi robgul. I have looked at PhotoFiltre and there are numerous options as to which which to open and use BUT non suggested Image Shrinking/Reduction that I can see.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I always recommend this site.
Upload, your pricy, and then download the avatar.
Simple.
No software or skills required.

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/
Mick F. Cornwall
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

ACyclingRooster wrote:
robgul wrote:Better than that is a free prog called PhotoFiltre - Google and you'll find it - pretty much a poor man's PhotoShop but totally intuitive to use

Rob

Hi robgul. I have looked at PhotoFiltre and there are numerous options as to which which to open and use BUT non suggested Image Shrinking/Reduction that I can see.

Open your picture then try the menu point Image/Image Size (shortcut CTRL+H).

At the top of the dialogue box you'll see fields for width, height and memory requirement. Don't worry about the latter, it's not the size on disc but simply the amount of memory the picture will occupy when it's in the computer's main memory.

When you save the pic, use the "Save As" menu option otherwise you'll screw up your original.

During the JPEG "Save" dialogue you can specify whether you want high quality or small file size. I'd start at the best and work down until you're under the (rather niggardly) 6kb limit.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
ACyclingRooster

Mick F wrote:I always recommend this site.
Upload, your pricy, and then download the avatar.
Simple.
No software or skills required.

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/

Hi MickF. Thank you for the link - It was one that I used to use many years ago before I changed PC but had forgotten all about it.

Some times the selected three 'crops' can be a little off but nevertheless OK.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Nearly all image-'adjusters' (to be charitable) use Photoshop - but I prefer PaintShopPro because it's cheaper (not free though) and I'm more used to it. I have other reasons for having it though, not just for reducing pictures to avatars! You can certainly get it for under £50.

But, as others have said, MS Paint which comes (or at least, used to come) free with Windows, is quite adequate to do the job. Just a bit more cumbersome to use. I don't know whether things have changed in more recent versions but in my copy, you use Image/Stretch/Skew to re-size the image (i.e. shrink it); and Image/Attributes to crop the image (cut out unwanted background). Or you can just pick up the dots in the image borders and drag them.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mjr

Post by mjr »

gaz wrote:Interesting signature line :| .

A victim-blaming sig seems a good way to get one's requests for help ignored by many people on a cycling forum.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
ACyclingRooster

mjr wrote:
gaz wrote:Interesting signature line :| .

A victim-blaming sig seems a good way to get one's requests for help ignored by many people on a cycling forum.

Hi mjr. whether it does or does not - in my experience it is fact and can be seen on a daily basis and also by the 'so-called' cyclists that ride with no hands whilst texting,playing games and a multitude of other totally brainless things rather than paying attention to what is happening around and in-front of them.
By the way - must of it is done on the pavement/footpaths because 'the roads aren't safe !!! but neither are the pavements for those that correctly and by necessity - use them. I refer to the pedestrians.
mjr

Post by mjr »

It's not fact. There was a big study around ten years ago. So-called "risky" cycling rarely ends in crashes. Attacking people for it is a nice way to help the motoring lobby divide and conquer cycling and distract from motorists being the biggest cause of cycling casualties, though!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
ACyclingRooster

mjr wrote:It's not fact. There was a big study around ten years ago. So-called "risky" cycling rarely ends in crashes. Attacking people for it is a nice way to help the motoring lobby divide and conquer cycling and distract from motorists being the biggest cause of cycling casualties, though!

Hi again mjr. Perhaps I misunderstood you meaning or import here - please explain in more depth and without spouting figures from some research. When I used the term 'Fact' I was speaking from my own visual and actual experience of seeing cyclists with Walkman systems and in more recent times - mobile phones connected to their heads/ears by earplugs/miniature loudspeakers.
In some cases I could here their choose of distraction and or the incoming conversation whilst they were in the throws of passing me in either direction.

Please therefore explain to me how the hell they can be audibly aware of what is behind them whilst they are on their bikes and otherwise distracted by the noise entering their heads via their ears.

Modern cars and commercial vehicles make more noise directly from the tyres than they do from the engines and in my particular case I am always on the alert for tyre noise because I do not clutter my ears with anything that was not there at the point of birth.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Heigh ho, good old CTC** forum: open a thread about about image processing and end up arguing about road safety. :(

**Oops, inappropriate expression used there. CUK, CUK, CUK is the thing nowadays.

I always feel that there's an L missing.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
mjr

Post by mjr »

ACyclingRooster wrote:Perhaps I misunderstood you meaning or import here - please explain in more depth and without spouting figures from some research. When I used the term 'Fact' I was speaking from my own visual and actual experience of seeing cyclists with Walkman systems and in more recent times - mobile phones connected to their heads/ears by earplugs/miniature loudspeakers.

So when you used the term "fact", you really meant "opinion" and ignore the posting of evidence of facts. There's some non-research explanation on the recent thread viewtopic.php?f=7&t=110955