Moderation on this Forum Much Too Much?

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling

Should the Mods take a Holiday over the Festivities?

Poll ended at 24 Dec 2016, 8:28pm

Yes
12%
No
88%

Total votes: 25

SpannerGeek

Moderation on this Forum Much Too Much?

Post by SpannerGeek »

Okay, to my knowledge five entire threads deleted outright in as many days.

I've never experienced such censorious and knee jerk moderation in all my days. What the hell is going on? Never...

Ban any moderation till January 1st 2020?

Yes please, society is much better organised and productive when it organises itself.

Too much already! I feel my airways tightening with the oppression from above.

The vote for no Politics over the festivities was 6-0 in favour of a 'time out'. It seems some people feel ill at ease with the democratic process.
Last edited by SpannerGeek on 14 Dec 2016, 8:33pm, edited 1 time in total.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Moderation on this Forum Much Too Much?

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I suspect that those five threads all deserved deletion. It's not a common occurrence. The mods here are patient and hNds off the vast majority of the time....
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
SpannerGeek

Post by SpannerGeek »

[XAP]Bob wrote:I suspect that those five threads all deserved deletion. It's not a common occurrence. The mods here are patient and hNds off the vast majority of the time....

Either that or they abhor 'the will of the people'

Sounds familiar?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

5 complete threads? on what? I havent noticed
SpannerGeek

Post by SpannerGeek »

mercalia wrote:5 complete threads? on what? I havent noticed

You wouldn't, you're too busy ignoring the elephant in the room.

Seriously, multiple thread deletion. It's a bridge too far. For me at any rate.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Any of those your threads Spannergeek?

There's been some threads on here of late that seems to aimed at provocation of forum members or the mods I reckon.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
My advise, keep your head down :mrgreen:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

MODERATORS .... BAN THESE POLLS.

Not another one ............. :evil:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Graham

Post by Graham »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

Could we have a poll on that ?

"Right to free speech" !! What's all that about then ??

This forum is paid for by Cycling UK.
SpannerGeek

Post by SpannerGeek »

Graham wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

Could we have a poll on that ?

"Right to free speech" !! What's all that about then ??

This forum is paid for by Cycling UK.

And who pays for Cycling UK? We do, the members, the users. WE pay for the upkeep of the forum, therefore we the members have a say in how it's run, AND how it's moderated. I'm sorry but your sanctimonious attitude absolutely stinks.

People power said 6/0 to no political threads over the festivities, but because that goes against YOUR sensibilities you casually delete the entire thread.

Explain yourself please?
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Shut this down mods please ... this is a personal self gratification exercise .....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
meic

Post by meic »

Some of the the threads have just been merged with existing ones, rather than deleted.
Yma o Hyd
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

[XAP]Bob wrote:I suspect that those five threads all deserved deletion. It's not a common occurrence. The mods here are patient and hNds off the vast majority of the time....

How reasonable depends on what threads are being "deleted" or are they really being deleted or are some of the eternal duplicate discussion threads/polls being merged. Moderators have always seemed very reasonable and tolerant even though as at present I suspect all these bann this, ban that, poll about banning the same thing, poll about banning the same thing but with tiny modification, etc.

I suspect the threads probably deserved what happened to them as things in the Tea shop have got completely out of hand (thanks toi just a couple of participants who seem obsessed with starting duplicate threads and polls.

landsurfer wrote:MODERATORS .... BAN THESE POLLS.

Not another one ............. :evil:

+1

meic wrote:Some of the the threads have just been merged with existing ones, rather than deleted.

Which makes complete sense. And I think it was only a few days ago we had a thread started by somebody who'd had a couple of threads deleted. Now we have another threads started-up discussing the same thing (again).

Give the moderators a break and stop all these duplicate threads discussing pretty well the same thing or polling pretty well the same thing.

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Oh, and delete this thread as well (the subject was fully discussed only a few days ago). And maybe block these serial subject starters from starting any more threads in the Tea Shop.

Ian
gaz

Post by gaz »

SpannerGeek wrote:And who pays for Cycling UK? We do, the members, the users. WE pay for the upkeep of the forum, therefore we the members have a say in how it's run, AND how it's moderated. I'm sorry but your sanctimonious attitude absolutely stinks.

CTC / Cycling UK members do indeed pay for the upkeep of this forum. However the forum is not here exclusively for the use of CTC / Cycling UK members, non-members are welcome. The privelege of participation is not linked in any way to payment.

Each and every one of us had our say in how it's run when we signed up. It was a binary choice, either accept the terms and participate on those terms, or reject the terms and don't participate at all.

Those terms include the right of the volunteer moderators to remove any post at any time without any discussion.

Registration (link only works when logged out).
You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should they see fit.

You might not like it now but on 12 Nov 2015 at 2:16pm you agreed to it.

On a lighter note there's also the death penalty clause.
Moderation action
Abuse of forum or CTC staff will not be tolerated and may result in the immediate termination of the user concerned.

I don't think the moderators have ever applied it but it's nice to know it's there should the need arise :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade