Moderation on this Forum Much Too Much?

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling

Should the Mods take a Holiday over the Festivities?

Poll ended at 24 Dec 2016, 8:28pm

Yes
12%
No
88%

Total votes: 25

bovlomov

Re: Moderation on this Forum Much Too Much?

Post by bovlomov »

landsurfer wrote:
pete75 wrote:Though really the old anarchist saying "don't vote it only encourages them" is most appropriate here.

There is a 60's Si Fi story about a stable anarchist society whose only tender is "myob" , my obligation.
If some one does something for you, you must do something for them ...
Do you think we can slip this past the trustees ...????

I like that - but I prefer "someone does something for you, and you do something for someone else". In other words, the 'debt' is to the community rather than to the person who did you the favour. I speak as a pragmatic anarchist,
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

There was a film about a school kid in.America who did good deeds for people then asked them to "pay it forward". Basically that created a domino effect of good deeds without rewards. You do a good deed in the knowledge you will not get anything back.directly for it. No thank you nothing but the satisfaction of doing good.

It was a heart warming film but I can't remember the name of it. I seem to remember the kid was going through a hard time when he was doing this. Also the pay it forward started a movement in that small town America which spread across USA i believe. All a story though.

Personally I've done good deeds kind of like that and you do get something back. It feels good to do good without acknowledgement or gain.
meic

Post by meic »

There are networks and activities that work on this basis.

Warmshowers, hitch-hiking, leaving wood at a forest cabin, stopping to help a fellow cyclist/motorcyclist/driver who has broken down.
Yma o Hyd
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If we needed a trendy name for this we could call it Alt Ruism
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I've chafed a few times from moderator intervention, usually for using over-expressive terminology.

However, I can only applaud the CTC oops CUK for even having a forum: when I suggested the same thing to the FFCT's Departmental Committee years ago the reaction was (paraphrase) "Good God no! People could criticise us!"

Providing a platform for discussion and informal exchanges is a sign of a (relatively) healthy organisation, whether or not you agree with its policies or the callous junking of a name with a long and noble history**.

**you'll gather that I don't. My father's pre-WW2 CTC badge is one of our prized heirlooms.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Audax67 wrote:I've chafed a few times from moderator intervention, usually for using over-expressive terminology.

However, I can only applaud the CTC oops CUK for even having a forum: when I suggested the same thing to the FFCT's Departmental Committee years ago the reaction was (paraphrase) "Good God no! People could criticise us!"

Providing a platform for discussion and informal exchanges is a sign of a (relatively) healthy organisation, whether or not you agree with its policies or the callous junking of a name with a long and noble history**.

**you'll gather that I don't. My father's pre-WW2 CTC badge is one of our prized heirlooms.

But we should be allowed to criticise freely without the Fear of excommunication................... based on the rather undemocratic power?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

thirdcrank wrote:If we needed a trendy name for this we could call it Alt Ruism

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You'll rue that one...

:lol: :lol:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Audax67 wrote:I've chafed a few times from moderator intervention, usually for using over-expressive terminology.

I'm sure I've heard somewhere that chafing probably means you need to adjust your saddle ;)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

thirdcrank wrote:If we needed a trendy name for this we could call it Alt Ruism

Very good! This post deserves a wider audience.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Vorpal wrote:

I'm sure I've heard somewhere that chafing probably means you need to adjust your saddle ;)

Chambers inquit:

Chafe:

3 intrans (also chafe at or under something) to become angry or impatient o chafe at the rules.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Audax67 wrote:
Vorpal wrote:

Chambers inquit:

Chafe:

3 intrans (also chafe at or under something) to become angry or impatient o chafe at the rules.

That was meant as a joke :oops:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Vorpal wrote:... That was meant as a joke :oops:

And I for one am pleased that you are able to have a laugh in spite of the nastiness.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Vorpal wrote:

Quite right. Brooks name saddles after birds like the Swallow but maybe they should name one after this well known insect - the Cockchafer
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Si

Post by Si »

Is there not already an audax named after the wee fellow?
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

I think the Romans invented the Forum

They also said "Moderation in all things"

I haven't seen any threads about cycling being deleted