Moderation on this Forum Much Too Much?

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling

Should the Mods take a Holiday over the Festivities?

Poll ended at 24 Dec 2016, 8:28pm

Yes
12%
No
88%

Total votes: 25

landsurfer

Re: Moderation on this Forum Much Too Much?

Post by landsurfer »

Psamathe wrote:Oh, and delete this thread as well (the subject was fully discussed only a few days ago). And maybe block these serial subject starters from starting any more threads in the Tea Shop.

Ian

100% in agreement .... all aspects of the post !
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Just to note my appreciation of the mods.

Thank you for your time.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I have been on the receiving end of the moderators stern gaze ....... and it's always been "a fair cop" .... come on you lot do some moderating ...lol
Be more Mike.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

landsurfer wrote:I have been on the receiving end of the moderators stern gaze ....... and it's always been "a fair cop" .... come on you lot do some moderating ...lol

Some self-moderating wouldn't go amiss around these parts - but I hope you're not inciting the immoderate to apply for the job of moderating the rest of us.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

LOL ... good point , well made .... good evening bovlomov .. :)
Be more Mike.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

I think that the moderation on this forum is very good and the volunteers do a brilliant job even when provoked by the "Freedom of Speech" thing. So I feel it is a good idea to let them decide what threads go or stay.
I for one would be glad to see some threads moved but accept the decision is not mine to make.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

So "page 2" are all in agreement ... it's almost a poll .... lol :) :)
Be more Mike.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

SpannerGeek wrote:The vote for no Politics over the festivities was 6-0 in favour of a 'time out'. It seems some people feel ill at ease with the democratic process.

6 people bothered to vote out of how many registered members? What basis is that for any action?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

pete75 ... don't add fuel to the fire ...lol
Be more Mike.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

pete75 wrote:
SpannerGeek wrote:The vote for no Politics over the festivities was 6-0 in favour of a 'time out'. It seems some people feel ill at ease with the democratic process.

6 people bothered to vote out of how many registered members? What basis is that for any action?

Maybe we need a new poll asking a slightly different question ? :roll: (and I was not in favour so I have my doubts about the 6-0 result, except maybe that was talking about a different poll ...). But all these polls have totally irrelevant results yet they keep appearing.

Ian
gaz

Post by gaz »

Perhaps we could have a poll about banning polls? Who cares about the result, we could do it for the sense of irony :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
pete75

Post by pete75 »

gaz wrote:Perhaps we could have a poll about banning polls? Who cares about the result, we could do it for the sense of irony :wink: .

And it should ask "Should we or should we not ban polls on this forum" - then a yes or a no vote could be counted as favouring a ban :wink:

Though really the old anarchist saying "don't vote it only encourages them" is most appropriate here.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
gaz

Post by gaz »

Then we could try to find 200 forum members to support a demand for a Poll of the Whole Forum to challenge the result :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

pete75 wrote:Though really the old anarchist saying "don't vote it only encourages them" is most appropriate here.

There is a 60's Si Fi story about a stable anarchist society whose only tender is "myob" , my obligation.
If some one does something for you, you must do something for them ...
Do you think we can slip this past the trustees ...????
Be more Mike.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

SpannerGeek wrote:
Graham wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
My advise, keep your head down :mrgreen:

Could we have a poll on that ?

"Right to free speech" !! What's all that about then ??

This forum is paid for by Cycling UK.

And who pays for Cycling UK? We do, the members, the users. WE pay for the upkeep of the forum, therefore we the members have a say in how it's run, AND how it's moderated. I'm sorry but your sanctimonious attitude absolutely stinks.

People power said 6/0 to no political threads over the festivities, but because that goes against YOUR sensibilities you casually delete the entire thread.

Explain yourself please?

The thread wasn't deleted. It was combined with the other thread about banning politics viewtopic.php?f=15&t=111000&hilit=xmas&start=195#p1079723

Sanctimonious attitude? This forum isn't a platform for free speech. Graham's point was that this forum is primarily for matters relating to Cycling UK, which means cycling, bikes, campaigning, and related topics. There have been no particular objections to other topics in The Tea Room, and that has been largely left up to forum members and moderators.

If you don't like it, please complain to the national office, but stop starting threads about the moderation. They will be combined.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom