Foe'd question

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
fishfright

Foe'd question

Post by fishfright »

I have a grand total of one person on my foe list and while this successfully hides his posts it doesn't hide his quasi Daily Mail threads.
Is this not possible so i just have to use selective blindness ?
661-Pete

Re: Foe'd question

Post by 661-Pete »

I think you've answered your own question. I gave up bothering with 'ignore' lists long ago. Waste of time.
Except....
Could serve a purpose, to make this forum a less troll-infested place. If enough people get together and all blacklist* the same set of individuals....
This, of course, depends on the premiss that Mods and/or Admins are able to see who is on whose Ignore list, other than their own. But I was never given a straight answer to my question - in Another Place.
So: can they?

*oblique allusion intended.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Si

Post by Si »

Dunno about admin, but i cant see ignore lists.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'd try not to let it get to you. The most obvious problem with the foe list is that if somebody quotes your foe you will get to see it anyway. Damning with faint praise, at least the foe facility hides their posts; the friend function does nothing as far as I can see.

On the subject of being able to ignore an entire thread, that would be useful just to see the wood from the trees. If somebody wants help with mountain biking in Timbuktu, I cannot help and I'm not even confident that I can spell it. :oops: It might as well be dismissed from my lists forever and left to those with the answers. That's even more the case with cryptic thread titles which have you looking but a couple of days later have you looking again. :evil:

All more work for admin even if it's possible so not worth the hassle.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Well, even if you don't get to read this (as it's a post so will be blocked out by the Foe system), the other issue is that when somebody quotes text from one of your Foes in their own post you then get to see what your Foe has written. And I think in that regard there is no "right" functionality the forum software could implement. Block the quoted text and your non-Foe's response would not make sense; block posts with any content from your Foe(s) and you might be blocking useful content from contributors you respect; or leave it as it is where you have to endure my love of the Daily Mail (at least when others quote my use of the source)!

Not that I'm feeling paranoid or insecure or anything.

Ian
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Another point. I have witnessed a situation where some denizen of a forum (Another Place - again) used to publicly boast about the number of individuals he'd placed on his Ignore list. Sort of 'anti-clique' if you like. I know for a fact that I had the honour to be one of his Ignorees. :evil:

Good Idea? The person in question does have a registration here, but happily he's been inactive for many a Rains.... :)
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
fishfright

Post by fishfright »

Cheers for the input everyone , i'll just have to suck it up and ignore his depressing rant threads . Psamathe it isnt you :)