Stronger mod action against trolling

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling

Is it trolling to say without proof that a group holds certain dislikeable views?

Yes
32%
No
40%
Abstain
8%
Whatever the mods want
20%

Total votes: 25

mjr

Stronger mod action against trolling

Post by mjr »

Should unsubstantiated accusations that a group of people hold certain obviously-dislikeable views be explicitly included in the forum terms as an example of trolling? I feel it only occurs when someone is trying to misrepresent the views of others in order to start or prolong an argument and they cannot or will not argue on the basis of words people have actually written.

The forum terms already forbid defamation and trolling, but it seems that the mods don't regard this tactic as either, based on some examples which have survived being reported. If you have a better idea of how to tackle this, please reply with it.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Stronger mod action against trolling

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Well I know who I would ban in a second.....................................on some of the forums I visit.

We discuss, any arguing verbal abuse inference of bad character should of course be moderated.
We should make sure that we don't get personal, we should respect another's view, and maybe apologise when you put your foot in it.
Some (groups) see apologies as a weakness, I don't, If I mess up then Moderate away.

You can always report them to a MOD?

mjr wrote
"Should unsubstantiated accusations that a group of people hold certain obviously-dislikeable views be explicitly included in the forum terms as an example of trolling"
You mean like a religious group / club / BBC / masons even?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mjr

Post by mjr »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Well I know who I would ban in a second.....................................on some of the forums I visit.

I wouldn't ever base it on who alone, unless they start taking up too much mod time.

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:You can always report them to a MOD?

I do. Report closed, no visible action. I feel this particular trolling tactic needs a stronger ruling to empower the mods to remove it.

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:mjr wrote
"Should unsubstantiated accusations that a group of people hold certain obviously-dislikeable views be explicitly included in the forum terms as an example of trolling"
You mean like a religious group / club / BBC / masons even?

Those and others. Continually writing lies about a group shouldn't be allowed, especially when someone's already been debunked multiple times. There is and should be some mod discretion for honest mistakes, but it sometimes goes beyond that to flat-out mudslinging and it makes the forum a much nastier place.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
I think that there is soft ware to cut out offensive words.
Beyond that its down to MODS opinions also based on guidelines?

Further than that I think ends at a cul-de-sac where you have to attempt some sort of complaint to C-UK, unlikely to get any written reply which will satisfy....I.M.O.
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

i dunno, i got a bit childish in another thread...

like natural, i'm embarrassed to find myself behave like that... and i've not checked back in the thread because i'm embarrassed.

i'd like to think everybody realises when they're wrong, i'm pretty certain of it. wouldn't have gotten this far otherwise eh?

i think the term troll is thrown around too liberally though, to the point where it's a bit like calling wolf. and it's all over some sort of political belief, you know 'the things we're terrified of and our poorly thought out solution to them'.

i think a lot of people on both sides of the argument have made the mistake that their own moral standards and political leanings are the only acceptable way to be. some of the forums i visit can get away with that but for something as universal as cycling it's a bit unrealistic.

so i struggle to cast a vote when the nature of the options has been distorted beyond recognition EH HOLD ON!? :lol:
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Sorry, I don't understand the OP, nor the poll question.

To me, it's perfectly clear what a troll is. There are several definitions. It's someone who persistently puts across their own argument, repeating themselves time and time again, long after a topic has been done to death. It's someone who persistently sets out to offend and insult other people on a forum. It's someone who persistently shifts threads off topic to mould them to their own agenda. It's someone who re-offends after a warning or suspension. It's someone who sets up sock-puppets or re-joins under a different identity after a ban.

What it's not, is what's stated in the OP.

I don't think this poll will achieve anything beneficial.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

...but it is a good thing that people are starting to speak out about trolling, rather than bottling up their concerns in the belief that it's a 'taboo' subject.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
mjr

Post by mjr »

661-Pete wrote:Sorry, I don't understand the OP, nor the poll question.

To me, it's perfectly clear what a troll is. There are several definitions. It's someone who persistently puts across their own argument, repeating themselves time and time again, long after a topic has been done to death. It's someone who persistently sets out to offend and insult other people on a forum. It's someone who persistently shifts threads off topic to mould them to their own agenda. It's someone who re-offends after a warning or suspension. It's someone who sets up sock-puppets or re-joins under a different identity after a ban.

What it's not, is what's stated in the OP.

Why not? As you note, there are many definitions, plus the one suggested in the OP overlaps with the ones I've put in bold. After all, is there ever a legitimate reason to say without evidence that a particular group holds particular dislikeable views unless you're trying to smear them to start an argument?
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

661-Pete wrote:To me, it's perfectly clear what a troll is. ... It's someone who persistently puts across their own argument, repeating themselves time and time again, long after a topic has been done to death.

that's everybody on this forum, and any forum on the internet. without overly opinionated people the internet is just google :lol:

did i offend you in the 'rant thread' last night? it'd be a shame to let that happen in my favourite thread!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Let he who has never made an unsubstantiated allegation on here delete the first thread.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
ChrisOntLancs wrote:like natural, i'm embarrassed to find myself behave like that... and i've not checked back in the thread because i'm embarrassed.

We've all been there :wink:
You wouldn't be human otherwise.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

ChrisOntLancs wrote:did i offend you in the 'rant thread' last night? it'd be a shame to let that happen in my favourite thread!
'Offend' me? I had to go back and look at (a) what you posted, and (b) what I'd posted before then.

Certainly not! No offence given, none taken! :wink: It is, after all, supposed to be the 'rant' thread, it's an open invitation to forummers to o'er-step themselves.

I'm curious to note that a certain 'gentleman of this parish', has amended a post in which he referred to me as "6661-Pete". He took out one of the '6's. Was he afraid that his typo would lead me to accuse him of delivering a veiled personal attack? Calling me the 'spawn of the devil' or whatever (remember The Omen :roll: )?

Some of it is all good fun. But at the same time some of the stuff is very wearing, it really puts one off the whole forum. The important thing is to be able to discern which is which.
matt_twam_asi

Post by matt_twam_asi »

The poll asks "Is it trolling to say without proof that a group holds certain dislikeable views?" and I've responded accordingly (no, it's just voicing ones opinion).

There is one shockingly obvious troll currently active on this forum who conforms to the dictionary definition. Most other people are just having a chat.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
I wonder if we had a one day Purge a user button how many of us would be left.......................bye :lol:

Edited- Ah I just looked at how the votes are going........I must be in the Ukip party 8)
mjr

Post by mjr »

<moderated>
Maybe more like this:
Motorists think they have a right to park on the pavement.

Why would someone post that unless trying to start a pointless argument with the 80+% of cyclists who are motorists?