Stronger mod action against trolling

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling

Is it trolling to say without proof that a group holds certain dislikeable views?

Yes
32%
No
40%
Abstain
8%
Whatever the mods want
20%

Total votes: 25

meic

Re: Stronger mod action against trolling

Post by meic »

Because we see lots of cars parked on pavements and the motorists who do it think that they are entitled to do so.
Yma o Hyd
mjr

Post by mjr »

meic wrote:Because we see lots of cars parked on pavements and the motorists who do it think that they are entitled to do so.

Maybe, but "motorists" is far far broader than "the motorists who do it".
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
meic

Post by meic »

I am a motorist who hasnt parked on a pavement for years but I still see it as a fair generalisation.
Yma o Hyd
mjr

Post by mjr »

meic wrote:I am a motorist who hasnt parked on a pavement for years but I still see it as a fair generalisation.

Are you also a liberal who shuts down dissent?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
meic

Post by meic »

I am an "old" liberal that supports free speech and allows dissent.
I think that comment was aimed at "new" liberals and again it seems a fair generalisation for a certain grouping of people. Even if anger and bile would be too strong terms for a lot of them, the will and attempt to silence is clearly there.
Yma o Hyd
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
In my road at times like yesterday there are no cars, but a driver still arrived and parked on a pavement, the road is just wide enough for parking opposite each other, so why on pavement when no other car is present :evil:
This is the sort of thing that gets your goat.
The law is vague on this.
It should not be that a pavement should be abused in such a way as to encroach on what should be at most times (like exceptions can be emergencies) free from annoyance of traffic, simply for the pleasure and convenience of Joe public and a business.
Especially when there is no need.
Needs to be outlawed.
To those masses that say where can I park, well do what I do at the closest legal parking spot, and walk like I do or go home for another try later like I did when working full time for myself.

A large proportion of drivers think nothing of parking on pavements double parking because they can, 31 % IIRC admit to using phone handset whilst driving.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

When I was a lot younger I was called a "leftie". Not as a compliment, I believe! Though I wasn't all that far indoctrinated. I had other priorities .... such as passing exams etc... :wink:

Am I now being accurately described as a "liberal"? Is that the new word? If so what does it mean?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
meic

Post by meic »

There certainly is a lot of "Newspeak" around and the labels no longer really represent the attitudes of the group.
Conservatives are no longer very conservative, Liberals are rather illiberal and Labour dont do much for the workers.
Communist is used for totalitarian and Fascist is used for anybody who dissents from the Liberal's view.

I am not offended to be called a commie, a lefty or a liberal. Though I may not agree with others who also use those titles and I dont mind agreeing with the Conservatives on very rare occasions.
Yma o Hyd
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

mjr wrote:
meic wrote:I am a motorist who hasnt parked on a pavement for years but I still see it as a fair generalisation.

Are you also a liberal who shuts down dissent?

Are you? Is that what you are asking for?
mjr

Post by mjr »

AlaninWales wrote:
mjr wrote:Are you also a liberal who shuts down dissent?

No and no. I've no problem with honest dissent, but I think the mods should stop people posting lies about the views of others in order to provoke argument.
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

mjr wrote:
AlaninWales wrote:
mjr wrote:Are you also a liberal who shuts down dissent?

No and no. I've no problem with honest dissent, but I think the mods should stop people posting lies about the views of others in order to provoke argument.

If I know (as I believe I do) who you are on about, I don't think they are lies but summaries of how he perceives a main-stream 'liberal' view as coming across (and given some of the press distortions from the likes of The Independant and various political blogs, I can see where he is coming from). Some other stuff borders (IMO) on trolling (he does like to get a reaction), but this? I don't believe he is trolling, although I am sure he enjoys people getting annoyed by it.
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

AlaninWales wrote:
mjr wrote:
AlaninWales wrote:Are you? Is that what you are asking for?

If I know (as I believe I do) who you are on about, I don't think they are lies but summaries of how he perceives a main-stream 'liberal' view as coming across (and given some of the press distortions from the likes of The Independant and various political blogs, I can see where he is coming from). Some other stuff borders (IMO) on trolling (he does like to get a reaction), but this? I don't believe he is trolling, although I am sure he enjoys people getting annoyed by it.

Edit to add:
And frankly, looking at people calling those who disagree with them names and claiming the reason they disagree is that they are so gullible as to believe the utterances of all and every Exiter politician, those opinion summaries seem to be pretty close to the mark.
mjr

Post by mjr »

AlaninWales wrote:Edit to add:
And frankly, looking at people calling those who disagree with them names and claiming the reason they disagree is that they are so gullible as to believe the utterances of all and every Exiter politician, those opinion summaries seem to be pretty close to the mark.

I thought that person was calling everyone names, but if you want to argue with what's written, that's fair game. It's the "those who disagree with me say that ..." lies which I feel are helping snuff out discussion - is it any more honourable to shut down dissent with a firehose of lies than with moderation?
meic

Post by meic »

I thought that trolling was trying to provoke a response which is quite the opposite of shutting down dissent.
If making controversial posts to a largely hostile forum is an attempt to close down dissent it is an attempt destined to fail quite dramatically.
Yma o Hyd
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

mjr wrote:
AlaninWales wrote:Edit to add:

I thought that person was calling everyone names, but if you want to argue with what's written, that's fair game. It's the "those who disagree with me say that ..." lies which I feel are helping snuff out discussion - is it any more honourable to shut down dissent with a firehose of lies than with moderation?

What is (IMO) closing down argument in that thread is simply the swapping of insults on both sides. Who started it is really a moot point but hardly relevant as both sides seem to indulge.

With regard to firehosing lies: On a different forum recently, I tried pointing out several areas where changes to residence status were being headlined as caused by BrExit, but those changes had been possible for >12 years and developing in that direction since around 2011. Linking these to BrExit rather than simply ways of complying with the letter of EU regulations is fake news. For my pains to follow the links (kindly supplied by the media headlining the supposed BrExit link) I was shut down with more sources linking the same thing and told that the fact that it is happening now means it is caused by BrExit. Again this is an illustration that simply repeating lies is now a popular way of feeling one is winning an argument. What do they teach people in schools nowadays :lol: ? It certainly isn't logical discussion! :(