Manual resizing photos prior to upload is NO LONGER NECESSARY

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
Johnocyprus

Manual resizing photos prior to upload is NO LONGER NECESSARY

Post by Johnocyprus »

I'll soon be selling a cycle on this forum and hope to use photos taken on an IPad. I've previously tried to adjust photos on a laptop for the forum and ended up with a headache.
Is there a straightforward of using photos from an Ipad?
RickH

Re: Resizing photos for this forum

Post by RickH »

The simplest way of resizing images in Windows, that I've found, is Image Resizer. A right click on a picture file, choose "Resize Pictures" (you can do more than one if you select several at once), choose a size in the box that appears & click OK. The files will appear in the same folder with "(Small)", "(Medium)", etc. added to the file name, depending on which option you chose.

There used to be a Microsoft utility as one of their "Powertoys" that was a separate program with the functionality to shrink a picture when you sent it to email back in the day when bandwidth was limited (I recall someone, on a work email, sending me a 10MB attachment when I was still on dial up! It took a good hour to download. :? ). This utility was originally written as a response to its disappearance.

Edit: Oops sorry - not reading post properly :oops:
Last edited by RickH on 8 May 2017, 10:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Email them to yourself from the iPad - it should offer to resize them for the email - then use those ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Download free programme PIXresizer
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

If you don't want to run software other than your browser you can upload to Flickr then download the size you require from the options.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

On my IPad I use

IMG_206.jpg
IMG_206.jpg (12.4 KiB) Viewed 16728 times
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Johnocyprus

Post by Johnocyprus »

Thank you to those that replied. If it's of interest what worked for me with the IPad was the Image Size App which Paulatic suggested.
Now anybody interested in a nice Pearson Audax 58cm ............ :roll:
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Johnocyprus wrote:Thank you to those that replied. If it's of interest what worked for me with the IPad was the Image Size App which Paulatic suggested.
Now anybody interested in a nice Pearson Audax 58cm ............ :roll:

Only if you can resize it down to a 53cm. :wink:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Apple Mac.
Open the photo in Preview.
Click on Tools/Adjust Size ........... and pick whatever size you want.
Make sure you save it as a jpeg rather than a tiff as it's a smaller format for the same physical dimensions.

Couldn't be easier.
Mick F. Cornwall
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

I have a new phone, photos are rather more (M)bits than the old phone's photos ever where.
With Windows 10 I got nowhere with the stuff below.
I tried resizing, the photo got a lot smaller on the screen, but properties said it was still 3.3 MB (so too large to post on here), so how do I reduce the MB of the photo when the resizing is done in pixels?
rjb

Post by rjb »

Using your phone. Take the photo of the item from further away. Crop the photo which reduces its size then post to the forum. A bit of trial and error but when you get it right its easy next time. Simples :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
gaz

Post by gaz »

PT1029 wrote:I tried resizing, the photo got a lot smaller on the screen, but properties said it was still 3.3 MB (so too large to post on here), so how do I reduce the MB of the photo when the resizing is done in pixels?

Using MS Paint in Win 10 you should have an option to resize by %.

A random picture taken at 16MP on my camera shows a file size in properties of 6.8MB. It's about three times the screen size. Resized to 12% properties shows it as only 200KB, about one third screen size and it will upload nicely. You do have to save the resized picture in order to check the file size in properties, change the file name if you also want to keep the hi-res original.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

I have tried using paint (I guess this is Windows paint - I have windows 10, but I run Open Office, so the "paint" might be Open Office?), I have resized as far as 1% but it is still over 200K (about 280K). The original file was 3.2MB.
Any offers on how to resize enough?
Do I randomly reduce the pixels by a large amount (rather than the %), or will that just give it poor resolution?
gaz

Post by gaz »

I'm not clear why your initial resizing is not having the desired result :? .

Desperate times call for desperate measures. When saving make sure you change the file name and keep the original.

Reduce to 1%. Save the file. Reduce again, I'd try 80% at that point (you're reducing the reduced file). Save, check properties, repeat if necessary.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade