Private message counter

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
[XAP]Bob

Private message counter

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mine is stuck on 1. Pretty sure I don't have any unread though...

None waiting either...

Odd.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
gaz

Re: Private message counter

Post by gaz »

If you have 100 read messages in your inbox the system cannot accept any more. I believe that could result in a notification that you have a new PM which the system cannot show you.

If that's the case either delete some or move them to your saved messages box and perhaps revise your settings under User Control Panel>Private Messages>Rules, Folders and Settings.

If you don't have 100 read messages in your inbox I can think of a few situations where the system will notify you of a PM that isn't there but not of a reason for your PM counter not to clear once you've looked at your PM page.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I do have to clear it out occasionally...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

It's not in another box than your inbox?

Otherwise you could pm admin and see if he knows.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I've got (5) next to Sent but unread

but nothing by any of the other boxes...
Si

Post by Si »

I think that sometimes if some one PMs you then they delete the PM before you have opened it it can play around with the count a bit.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Some actions that create notifications in the counter do not actually have anything corresponding to read to clear the notification.

For example, if you report a post (checking the "notify me" option), moderator acts and completes the report and you are "notified" through a notification counter and an entry in the drop down list (under notifications) but there s no "post" or PM to read.

Only way to clear it (I'm aware of) is to use the "Notifications[n]" and in the list click the tick to the right on the entry.

Ian
gaz

Post by gaz »

Si wrote:I think that sometimes if some one PMs you then they delete the PM before you have opened it it can play around with the count a bit.

True but IIRC whlst the PM counter includes such deleted PMs at forum log in, it clears as soon as you check in to read your PMs.
Psamathe wrote:Some actions that create notifications in the counter do not actually have anything corresponding to read to clear the notification.

True but those events only trigger the notifications counter, not the PM counter.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Psamathe wrote:Some actions that create notifications in the counter do not actually have anything corresponding to read to clear the notification.

For example, if you report a post (checking the "notify me" option), moderator acts and completes the report and you are "notified" through a notification counter and an entry in the drop down list (under notifications) but there s no "post" or PM to read.

Only way to clear it (I'm aware of) is to use the "Notifications[n]" and in the list click the tick to the right on the entry.

Ian

That corresponds with recent activity (not sure I hit 'notify me' though, is it checked by default?)... but there is no Notification at the moment, just a PM counter.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Have you tried the "Mark all messages read" button? I'm wondering if it will clear the PM count, even if it doesn't explain the issue.
Untitled.png
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

No such option on the sub silver style (which I *far* prefer, crikey I'd forgotten how bad the pro silver was)

But even so - it still doesn't change the counter. Good idea though.