Enter thread from last post you read.

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
Salty Seadog

Enter thread from last post you read.

Post by Salty Seadog »

Hi, is there a way to go into a thread and pick up where you left off. It seems the new posts button just shows posts new to everyone, not tailored to my browsing progress.
Vorpal

Re: Enter thread from last post you read.

Post by Vorpal »

The 'new posts' will show you posts that are new to you, only if you are logged in.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Salty Seadog

Post by Salty Seadog »

Vorpal wrote:The 'new posts' will show you posts that are new to you, only if you are logged in.

I've picked a couple of threads, and scrolled through to half way down page 2. When I go back into them I am at page 1 post 1 again. Not picking up where I left off. This is both using and not using the new post button....
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Salty Seadog wrote:
Vorpal wrote:The 'new posts' will show you posts that are new to you, only if you are logged in.

I've pitched a couple of threads, and scrolled through to half wash down page 2. When I go back into them I am at page 1 post 1 again. Not picking up where I left off. This is both issuing and not using the new post button....

The new post button only shows the thread that has a new post, not where the new post has occurred. I just go to the last page and scan up until I reach something I recognise. Or use the post time & date.

You can also go to the last page by clicking on it (see bleow), but it will still take you to the top of the page.

“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
gaz

Post by gaz »

You can go to the last post by clicking on it.
Untitled.jpg
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Salty Seadog wrote:Hi, is there a way to go into a thread and pick up where you left off. It seems the new posts button just shows posts new to everyone, not tailored to my browsing progress.

I think the answer yo your question is "No." "Unread posts" brings up threads on which there is at least one new post since your last logged-on visit.

Another example of perhaps the same effect is that if you click "Your posts" it brings up threads on which you have posted, rather than your posts within those threads.
Salty Seadog

Post by Salty Seadog »

thirdcrank wrote:
Salty Seadog wrote:Hi, is there a way to go into a thread and pick up where you left off. It seems the new posts button just shows posts new to everyone, not tailored to my browsing progress.

I think the answer yo your question is "No." "Unread posts" brings up threads on which there is at least one new post since your last logged-on visit.

Another example of perhaps the same effect is that if you click "Your posts" it brings up threads on which you have posted, rather than your posts within those threads.

Thanks, looks that way.

Bummer.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Salty Seadog wrote:Hi, is there a way to go into a thread and pick up where you left off.

Yes, click on the icon to the left of the Thread title. If you hover over it you'll see a tool tip "View first unread post".

2018-04-10 09_40_11-Using the Forum - request help _ report difficulties - Cycling UK Forum.png
2018-04-10 09_40_11-Using the Forum - request help _ report difficulties - Cycling UK Forum.png (9.39 KiB) Viewed 5676 times
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

admin wrote:
Salty Seadog wrote:Hi, is there a way to go into a thread and pick up where you left off.

Yes, click on the icon to the left of the Thread title. If you hover over it you'll see a tool tip "View first unread post".

2018-04-10 09_40_11-Using the Forum - request help _ report difficulties - Cycling UK Forum.png

I learned something, then :)
mjr

Post by mjr »

admin wrote:

Clicking the big red round icon to its left is much easier and seems to achieve the same.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

mjr wrote:Clicking the big red round icon to its left is much easier and seems to achieve the same.

So it does! I've learnt something new today too :)