Comments in the classifieds

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
fossala

Re: Comments in the classifieds

Post by fossala »

hondated wrote:Some time ago now I decided to advertise on here a pair of unused studded MBK tyres at what I considered to be a reasonable cost.
Almost immediately one of our regular posters came on and remarked that although not the same size ,wider, as mine you could buy them for the same price new.
Not something I was aware of but as I said not the same width as mine but nonetheless I just removed the advert.
Why the poster felt that he needed to point out the fact that he did I dont know and it did leave a sour taste in my mouth for a while but rather that than be left with the feeling that I overcharged someone.
Personally I dont feel its my place to comment on anything for sale and those that do in my opinion should find something more positive to do.

I guess you where only unhappy because it reduced the amount of money you could get for the item. This is why I started the thread, for some reason only positive comments are viewed as acceptable by the mods.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Yep thats about it !
fossala

Post by fossala »

We are a forum, people should be able to comment on the price of things to help out other forum members. I think your mentality is quite selfish. I'm going to get round to listing some saddles and some bits and bobs this evening. I don't care if people have constructive comments, even if it does make me and other members aware that I may of listed something for too much (rarely happens because I actually do have a quick look to see how much things sell for on ebay and forums before listing).
Bowedw

Post by Bowedw »

In certain circumstances I believe the Moderator should ask for stupid comments to be removed. A classic case are posts on the sale of a WAW recumbent that is being parted with due to ill health. I am sure the owner is gutted with having to part with it and the least we can do is show some respect and not fill the post with unhelpful drivel.
fossala

Post by fossala »

Bowedw wrote:In certain circumstances I believe the Moderator should ask for stupid comments to be removed. A classic case are posts on the sale of a WAW recumbent that is being parted with due to ill health. I am sure the owner is gutted with having to part with it and the least we can do is show some respect and not fill the post with unhelpful drivel.

No one buying an £8k velomobile would decide they don't want it anymore due to a few comments. Also the seller isn't even on the forum, it is just a link to an advert on facebook (that I can't view as I'm not a mug/member).
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I was barred by LFGSS once because I accepted a Paypal payment for some wheels. They first contacted the buyer to see if he was satisfied. he replied that, yes very happy with the product. They then barred me from the forum as evidently they don't agree with Paypal payments. I admit I hadn't read all the rules and regs. The daft thing is, it was the buyers request for Paypal not me. Unfortunately I agreed. Quite a vociferous mob if I recall. I thought it was quite amusing.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

mjr wrote:
firedfromthecircus wrote:The convention of not passing comment on sales threads if you are not interested in buying is sadly for a reason. It would be fine if everyone only commented if they saw something fraudulent, misdescribed, vastly overpriced etc, but cycling forums (and others too I'm sure) are full of funny buggers who will just derail people sales threads for the most spurious of reasons. And let's not forget that value is subjective!

Well can't the mods tell the difference between a derailment and a warning? Let's not throw the good wood on the compost heap.

I always remind people to upload* a picture of actual the item they're selling. I know on another forum
failure to provide pictures will lead to the post being deleted.

* It's the internet, so it's easy to find out how to do things.