Comments in the classifieds

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
User avatar
fossala
Posts: 1037
Joined: 21 May 2013, 8:29am

Comments in the classifieds

Postby fossala » 7 Apr 2018, 7:07pm

I had a comment the other day deleted and someone has just complained about me trying to help them regarding an overly high asking price. A forum is a community of like minded people, should we not protect people in our community from over inflated prices, poor descriptions and misleading details? Would you let your mate buy something that was way over priced? I wouldn't of thought so.

User avatar
horizon
Posts: 8524
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Cornwall

Re: Comments in the classifieds

Postby horizon » 7 Apr 2018, 7:19pm

I think there is a certain convention that we don't comment on sales unless there is an obvious error or fraud. That may or may not be a good thing but we do want sales on here so supporting the advertiser might be a good idea. I agreed with your comments about the price but question your right to make them (that's meant to be funny BTW :D )
It's autumn in England with the trees turning golden. So we say leaves mean leaves.

User avatar
fossala
Posts: 1037
Joined: 21 May 2013, 8:29am

Re: Comments in the classifieds

Postby fossala » 7 Apr 2018, 7:59pm

He listed the bike as a 56cm. If it has a compact geometry there is no point only telling us the seat tube length. I think people need to stop being so sensitive in sale threads.

I called out another member on another forum because he sold me a bike that had chipped paint (he chipped it packing but decided not to tell me even though the listing said immaculate), 130mm wheels in 135mm frame, components where worn (said excellent condition), didn't post for over a month, missing parts when he did post, no contact, and has now not shown his face on the forum since I brought up the issue*. All threads on the matter have been deleted. Sales NEED criticism.

Not commenting on threads only help bad sales to uneducated people. Once again, I think we are better than this.

*He will be getting a visit when I'm in his area next month though

User avatar
gaz
Posts: 13062
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 12:09pm
Location: Kent, car park of England

Re: Comments in the classifieds

Postby gaz » 7 Apr 2018, 8:03pm

horizon wrote:I think there is a certain convention that we don't comment on sales ...

I think so too: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=40243#p321532

Although it doesn't always stop me :oops: :wink: .
Hand wash only. Do not iron.

User avatar
fossala
Posts: 1037
Joined: 21 May 2013, 8:29am

Re: Comments in the classifieds

Postby fossala » 7 Apr 2018, 8:11pm

Aren't rules made to be challenged though? I think strong argument for why commenting on FS threads is not only fine but better for the wider community.

Graham r
Posts: 30
Joined: 9 Aug 2017, 6:32pm

Re: Comments in the classifieds

Postby Graham r » 7 Apr 2018, 8:50pm

fossala wrote:He listed the bike as a 56cm. If it has a compact geometry there is no point only telling us the seat tube length. I think people need to stop being so sensitive in sale threads.

I called out another member on another forum because he sold me a bike that had chipped paint (he chipped it packing but decided not to tell me even though the listing said immaculate), 130mm wheels in 135mm frame, components where worn (said excellent condition), didn't post for over a month, missing parts when he did post, no contact, and has now not shown his face on the forum since I brought up the issue*. All threads on the matter have been deleted. Sales NEED criticism.

Not commenting on threads only help bad sales to uneducated people. Once again, I think we are better than this.

*He will be getting a visit when I'm in his area next month though



It was me that listed the bike for a friend who is very ill and couldn’t get to the bike to get the sizes for me that’s why they are not on it

And if the bit about you visiting when you are in the area you are more then welcome

brynpoeth
Posts: 6964
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Comments in the classifieds

Postby brynpoeth » 7 Apr 2018, 9:03pm

fossala wrote:Aren't rules made to be challenged though? I think strong argument for why commenting on FS threads is not only fine but better for the wider community.

Comment, argument, opinion forming is usually good
Anyone can google to get an idea if prices are plausible
Another forum member reported today how he got a decent usable bike for # 99
pence
:wink:
Cycling? Of course, but it is far better on a Gillott.. Alternative facts welcome

User avatar
Paulatic
Posts: 3323
Joined: 2 Feb 2014, 1:03pm
Location: 24 Hours from Lands End

Re: Comments in the classifieds

Postby Paulatic » 7 Apr 2018, 10:40pm

fossala wrote:Aren't rules made to be challenged though? I think strong argument for why commenting on FS threads is not only fine but better for the wider community.

I agree. Discussion is healthy both to help the vendor and the buyer. Unlike EBay, on this forum, there is no historical feedback to help form opinions.
58F6A9D8-AAC6-4E91-ABCA-5381BE8F14D6.jpeg

So following on from this evenings performance are all sales with any comments, positive or negative, to be removed?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life RIP Hannah Hauxwell

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

User avatar
gaz
Posts: 13062
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 12:09pm
Location: Kent, car park of England

Re: Comments in the classifieds

Postby gaz » 7 Apr 2018, 11:05pm

Paulatic wrote:So following on from this evenings performance are all sales with any comments, positive or negative, to be removed?

Probably not, although I'm sure the volunteer moderation team will continue to review any post that is brought to their attention.
Hand wash only. Do not iron.

User avatar
fossala
Posts: 1037
Joined: 21 May 2013, 8:29am

Re: Comments in the classifieds

Postby fossala » 8 Apr 2018, 4:33am

Graham r wrote:And if the bit about you visiting when you are in the area you are more then welcome

That was regarding someone else that owes me an apology and money.

thirdcrank
Posts: 26930
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: Comments in the classifieds

Postby thirdcrank » 8 Apr 2018, 7:34am

In general, I only scan the "wanted" section to see if anybody is looking for something I have lurking in the garage.

I can only remember once commenting on a "for sale" item and as it's inevitably long gone, I can't refer back to it. It was a kit to modify the opening of the rear door of a 4x4 to overcome the manufacturer's cable which prevented full opening. The manufacturers were ensuring compliance with the lighting regs by preventing the door-mounted spare wheel obstructing the offside rear lights. I pointed out that this couldn't legally be used on-road in this country. It's rather like the disclaimers on some bike lamps. It never occurred to me to report the post.

User avatar
leftpoole
Posts: 878
Joined: 12 Feb 2007, 9:31am
Location: Thornbury, South Gloucestershire.
Contact:

Comments in the classifieds

Postby leftpoole » 8 Apr 2018, 12:04pm

fossala wrote:
Graham r wrote:And if the bit about you visiting when you are in the area you are more then welcome

That was regarding someone else that owes me an apology and money.



Without prejudice I think that sales listing should be left as they are posted. No comment from persons not interested in purchase.
I have noticed ‘fossala’ to actually be one of the said culprits!
Best regards,
John
PS The posts which were actually deleted on an item I was advertising were deleted by management with no prompting from myself



I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my stupid phone.

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 10461
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: Comments in the classifieds

Postby mjr » 8 Apr 2018, 3:52pm

leftpoole wrote:Without prejudice I think that sales listing should be left as they are posted. No comment from persons not interested in purchase.

I'd like to be told if a seller has ripped off another forummer. Leave the comments open.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

User avatar
Paulatic
Posts: 3323
Joined: 2 Feb 2014, 1:03pm
Location: 24 Hours from Lands End

Re: Comments in the classifieds

Postby Paulatic » 8 Apr 2018, 4:19pm

leftpoole wrote:[


Without prejudice I think that sales listing should be left as they are posted. No comment from persons not interested in purchase.
I
.


So if you see something you think it’s description might not be correct you just walk away. Let someone buy it trusting a description to only discover later their purchase was not what they thought they were buying. Wouldn’t comment which might stop that puchaser a lot of angst or leave that seller in better stance be worthwhile?

Or are happy that this is an acceptable state of sales
49DF495F-91CA-4A56-9CF8-1DC05B1F47BF.jpeg
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life RIP Hannah Hauxwell

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

firedfromthecircus
Posts: 233
Joined: 23 Jan 2012, 7:50pm

Re: Comments in the classifieds

Postby firedfromthecircus » 8 Apr 2018, 5:04pm

The convention of not passing comment on sales threads if you are not interested in buying is sadly for a reason. It would be fine if everyone only commented if they saw something fraudulent, misdescribed, vastly overpriced etc, but cycling forums (and others too I'm sure) are full of funny buggers who will just derail people sales threads for the most spurious of reasons. And let's not forget that value is subjective!