Quote Depth?

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling

My preferred default quote depth would be...

1 (just what you're replying to - mjr's suggestion)
54%
2 (what you're replying to and what it was replying to)
No votes
3 (current behaviour)
31%
unlimited
15%

Total votes: 13

AlaninWales

Re: Quote Depth?

Post by AlaninWales »

Psamathe wrote:
mjr wrote:
Psamathe wrote:Based on your personal opinion or the results of the poll (which if anything suggest an increase!). I can't see any consensus for a reduction.

Based on reducing the workload of the volunteer moderators. Not my reason but it's an understandable one.

My poll is only advisory, of course... I also don't see how the current standings (5 for 1, 3 for the current setting and 2 for unlimited) can be interpreted as suggesting an increase.

Moderators have been moaning about that increased workload for ages!

If you don't like it or understand it, don't use it but to stop anybody else using it is just selfish.

Ian

Seems to be back to three?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Psamathe wrote:
mjr wrote:My poll is only advisory, of course... I also don't see how the current standings (5 for 1, 3 for the current setting and 2 for unlimited) can be interpreted as suggesting an increase.

I said "I can't see any consensus for a reduction" not suggesting an increase.

You also wrote "the results of the poll (which if anything suggest an increase!)" which was correctly quoted at depth 1.

But maybe you ignored nesting where it was actually relevant for once, because it so rarely is!
Last edited by mjr on 19 Apr 2018, 10:15am, edited 1 time in total.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Interesting that that the option of quoting "what you're replying to and what it was replying to" has no votes at present. Commenting on a "He said, she said" spat might be one of the occasions when it might be useful.

As this drags on, I would say that I find forum polls generally irritating and I don't remember ever voting in one, but that's not certain. I assume that with anything about the running of the forum, threads like this with suggestions are no more than that. Ultimately, there are only a couple of votes to be counted, depending on whether it's flicking existing levers or installing new ones.
mjr

Post by mjr »

thirdcrank wrote:Interesting that that the option of quoting "what you're replying to and what it was replying to" has no votes at present.

I agree and I'm surprised by the polarisation. In case anyone wonders, I didn't include a no-quotes option because I couldn't see how it's possible in the software (edit: as currently installed), as a setting of zero is interpreted as unlimited.
Last edited by mjr on 19 Apr 2018, 11:33am, edited 1 time in total.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I still can't see the issue here.
You quote what you want to quote to illustrate your answer so it's relevant and to cut down on explanation.
You can even quote from a completely different thread if it helps.

Also, you can copy and paste so each time you quote, you use the username.

Like this for instance:
reohn2 wrote:I heard about it on the radio yesterday and was a little bemused,more so now I've seen it as I suppose many other people will be.
But wishing her dead is in a different league and even more bemusing :?
This is from a completely different thread of course.

And this:
2Tubs wrote:Well,

It's been a while since I was last here.

I hope you've all been keeping well.

Gazza

It's simple.
Just edit as you go, and quote what you want.
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote:I still can't see the issue here.
You quote what you want to quote to illustrate your answer so it's relevant and to cut down on explanation.
[...]
It's simple.

Yes, it can be done, but people rarely edit what they quote (I asked why, as well as mentioning that I find trimming large quotes laborious), which is why I'm suggesting changing the default, to make discussions easier to read/follow by reducing the need to push down (sometimes several screenfuls) to find the start of the actual new comment, then push the screen back up to try to figure out what part of the quote it's actually referring to, then back down to read the comment again, then up several screenfuls again if it's unsigned and you want to see who wrote it, then down the several screenfuls to the next post, in a sort of sickening yoyo motion.

For the minority of posts where quoting more posts would be helpful, one can copy-paste as suggested, or do what I suggested earlier and use the Quote icon in the Topic Review under the reply composer. I've been surprised there's such vociferous opposition to it - it's not like I'm suggesting adopting the rule of requiring more new text than quoted which some forums used to have.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mjr wrote:
Psamathe wrote:
mjr wrote:My poll is only advisory, of course... I also don't see how the current standings (5 for 1, 3 for the current setting and 2 for unlimited) can be interpreted as suggesting an increase.

I said "I can't see any consensus for a reduction" not suggesting an increase.

You also wrote "the results of the poll (which if anything suggest an increase!)" which was correctly quoted at depth 1.

Take the average nesting depth from the poll and it would be an increase (i.e. nesting depth*votes averaged: (6 x 1)+(4 x 3)+(2 x infinity) .....

Ian
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I noticed this morning that when posting a reply to a reply, I deleted everything except the new bit ie the reply on which I wanted to comment. On reflection, I realise that that's my usual approach. Perhaps it shows how little I care that it's taken me so long to work it out. :oops:
mjr

Post by mjr »

Psamathe wrote:Take the average nesting depth from the poll and it would be an increase (i.e. nesting depth*votes averaged: (6 x 1)+(4 x 3)+(2 x infinity) .....

The mean is not a valid average when infinity is involved. Use the mode (1) or median (2) instead.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mjr wrote:
Psamathe wrote:Take the average nesting depth from the poll and it would be an increase (i.e. nesting depth*votes averaged: (6 x 1)+(4 x 3)+(2 x infinity) .....

The mean is not a valid average when infinity is involved. Use the mode (1) or median (2) instead.

It was a daft response (trying to be a bit more light hearted in a thread that had me a bit "frustrated"). Sorry if this did not come across clearly (I don't use these emolgii things which I suppose would make things clearer .... but I personally dislike them).

Ian
2Tubs

Post by 2Tubs »

Like this for instance:
reohn2 wrote:I heard about it on the radio yesterday and was a little bemused,more so now I've seen it as I suppose many other people will be.

And this:

Gazza

It's simple.

How did I end up all the way over here?

;)
Why not Look at Sheila's Wheelers E2E Journal
Or My Personal Site
Or My Tweets
Whatever you do, buy fair trade.
And smile.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

2Tubs wrote:

Like this for instance:

And this:

Gazza

It's simple.

How did I end up all the way over here?

;)
I just randomly found some older threads to illustrate the fact that you can quote what you want from wherever you want to make your point.
Nothing personal, I can assure you! :lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall