Misbehaving return key

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
thirdcrank

Misbehaving return key

Post by thirdcrank »

This is something I would normally assume was down to my incompetence or a quirk in my system, but for the last few days my return key has been misbehaving when I'm posting on the forum. It doesn't happen in other apps which involve typing text. If I type return, nothing happens. If I type return twice, the cursor moves to the start of the next line but as soon as I type any character the cursor jumps to the next line after that, ie where it would normally be after two presses of return.
531colin

Re: Misbehaving return key

Post by 531colin »

I get something like that....Windows 10.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That's odd. Sounds like a JavaScript problem somewhere.

Does this happen when you're typing just text, or only if you've inserted something like a list or formatted text?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

admin wrote:That's odd. Sounds like a JavaScript problem somewhere.

Does this happen when you're typing just text, or only if you've inserted something like a list or formatted text?

I've tried this out to check, and it doesn't seem to happen if I'm just typing text, but it did with this reply quoting your post. ie The cursor was immedietely after the square bracket ] after /quote and it didn't move after a return key. A second return took it to the next line but beginning to type took it down another line.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, that could make sense as the square brackets are meaningful "code" so there might well be JavaScript working when you are typing near them.

Which browser are you using?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Microsoft Edge - if I've understood this correctly. It's what came installed with Windows 10 on the computer.