Forum changes my wording

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
Cyril Haearn

Re: Forum changes my wording

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Audax67 wrote:Hang about. What's the R-word? Ruritanian?

Radfahren!

I really wish the moderators would ensure "may" and "can" are used correctly, I really do
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 12 Jun 2018, 9:35pm, edited 2 times in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Cyril Haearn wrote:....
I proudly call myself a re moaner
Maybe we could meet in Strasbourg (half French, a bit Germanish) :wink:

Depends, we'll be needing visas and wont be able to stay as long as we used to be able to stay and then there is the issue of the Home Office [UK] letting us back into the country ... All sounds a bit risky to me.

Ian
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

There are ways around robotic censors of course.

Dare I? Oh well, it can't matter on this forum, can it... :?

"Brexіteer vs. Remоaner".

Can you see what I did there? If so, keep it amongst friends please! :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

In the absence of a snoring 'Smilie', I offer the following brief link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tV4aEsspN8

With unfailing thanks to the moderators for their unfailing patience with us all. :wink:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mjr wrote: while an opposite offensive term is allowed

what term do you mean?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

I thought about it and decided to come back on it.

Because in spite of Mistikas (s/he's a a Canadian!) "don't give a damn" sentiment I, for one, do think it important.

The moderators can also attempt to make light of it by saying things like "does it really affect you that much folks?"
But the critical point is not about a specific word but rather the altering of contributions by automated means.
Now my earlier point and question (which seemed fair and reasonable) as to who actually decided to put such a censoring filter in place has not been answered. Why not?
Are the raised perceptions of personal bias correct? I certainly infer that given no evidence to the contrary.

That there is a perceived bias here on this particular word issue has been suggested by other contributors and I think their points are valid.

It is a small point, yet although the "mountains out of molehills" suggestion from the moderators tries to belittle genuine concerns, I would suggest that mountains can indeed be made out of molehills!

Furthermore, that is exactly how power and influence are achieved by the "media".

The very slight altering of meaning by automated means is a dangerous and unnecessary intrusion.
Anyone on here over using gratuitous insulting language will soon be called out by other users, in that sense the forum is self policing.
That to my mind is a preferable state of affairs, than intrusion by the state!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It's a bit like being a soccer referee, every spectator can do it infinitely better, but when it's Sunday morning on the rec, it's the same handful of volunteers getting it in the neck.

(This general subject, rather than the specific examples which have arisen here, has been discussed at length before.)
gaz

Post by gaz »

The swearing/ bad language filters are interesting in so much as that if you perform a search for the original word the forum search engine will return an accurate result for the number of times it has been used.

The typed word auto-substituted to "micturate" has 109 matches. Forum users must be learning over time that the typed word auto-substituted to "micturate" will be auto-substituted to "micturate" as the typed word "micturate" is more popular with 148 matches (plus a few more now :wink: ).

PDQ Mobile wrote:I would suggest that mountains can indeed be made out of molehills!

Perform a similar search for brexit related banned words. How many molehills constitute a mountain?
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

gaz wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:I would suggest that mountains can indeed be made out of molehills!

Perform a similar search for brexit related banned words. How many molehills constitute a mountain?

Of course the Brexit issue is a just molehill on here but I was trying to make the wider and vastly more important point that if you start altering people's written contributions ( without consent), then there is a build up of a change of meaning. Subtle but nevertheless influential IMV.

It is the thin end if a wedge that should at the very least be called out.

On the same tack, the moderators suggested earlier in the thread that any of us that thought the moderation on here was incorrect then we should "go to" another forum!!
I see it differently, if personal bias can be shown to have slipped into this forum, I think the moderator in question should go and moderate in another less liberal place.
That is my very humble opinion.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

PDQ Mobile wrote:.....
I see it differently, if personal bias can be shown to have slipped into this forum, I think the moderator in question should go and moderate in another less liberal place.

I think everybody makes mistakes and I'd assumed that the said non-derogatory word would have been removed from the automated changes by now. I've not tested it but surprised if (the non-derogatory) word being discussed is still seen as not acceptable!

Ian
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

PDQ Mobile wrote: ... I think the moderator in question should go and moderate in another less liberal place.

What's your position on volunteering to fill the resulting gap?

(And FWIW, I detect not one iota of humility.)
gaz

Post by gaz »

PDQ Mobile wrote:I think the moderator in question should go and moderate in another less liberal place.

The age old question of Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

In the case of the forum that would be Cycling UK, not the forumites.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

thirdcrank wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote: ... I think the moderator in question should go and moderate in another less liberal place.

What's your position on volunteering to fill the resulting gap?

(And FWIW, I detect not one iota of humility.)

I might consider it.
Do I need a proper computer?

As to the humility, you're right, well I don't like to see my reasonable, polite and considered posts deleted (which suspected biased moderator has done) or messed with by automated systems.

FWIW As far as the word in question (supporter of brexit) is concerned I have personally never used it (to the best of my knowledge).
Last edited by PDQ Mobile on 15 Jun 2018, 12:07pm, edited 1 time in total.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Ps.i did not write "supporter of brexit".
I think my point is proven.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

PDQ Mobile wrote: I might consider it.
Do I need a proper computer? ...

I'm trying to make a practical point, which is that volunteers to moderate this forum have been thin on the ground. People with plenty to say are ten-a-penny and I include myself in that. I don't know who's involved here but if they take your hint and go, they may take some replacing.

I've no idea what sort of computer you need but the job description involves the wisdom of Solomon, the willingness to devote time to the forum and not appearing partisan.