Forum changes my wording

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
admin
Site Admin

Re: Forum changes my wording

Post by admin »

Indeed, the moderators (I am not one of them) do an excellent job. They try hard to be impartial and fair, but sometimes it can be difficult to know where the boundaries are: when not sure the moderators consult each other to see what the consensus is.

The automated word-censoring is not implemented to bias discussion, it's to avoid displaying words that might cause offence. It should be easy enough to re-phrase comments, if needed, to get a message across without using the banned words. The word list is chosen by the moderators, because they are the ones who decide what is, and what is not, acceptable to post on this Forum.

Those who steer clear of abusive or inflammatory comments will not get their posts moderated - it's that simple! The moderators are experienced and can spot when things might get out of hand. :)
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

thirdcrank wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote: I might consider it.
Do I need a proper computer? ...

I'm trying to make a practical point, which is that volunteers to moderate this forum have been thin on the ground. People with plenty to say are ten-a-penny and I include myself in that. I don't know who's involved here but if they take your hint and go, they may take some replacing.

I've no idea what sort of computer you need but the job description involves the wisdom of Solomon, the willingness to devote time to the forum and not appearing partisan.

And I understand that.
I also think you are right.

I think by and large the mods do a fine and unbiased job, but and it is a big BUT, on this particular very important political issue, I think personal bias is present and I'm calling it out because it's important to me.
Important because of the reasons I have already stated.
I just want to see cards on the table.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

admin wrote:Indeed, the moderators (I am not one of them) do an excellent job. They try hard to be impartial and fair, but sometimes it can be difficult to know where the boundaries are: when not sure the moderators consult each other to see what the consensus is.

The automated word-censoring is not implemented to bias discussion, it's to avoid displaying words that might cause offence. It should be easy enough to re-phrase comments, if needed, to get a message across without using the banned words. The word list is chosen by the moderators, because they are the ones who decide what is, and what is not, acceptable to post on this Forum.

Those who steer clear of abusive or inflammatory comments will not get their posts moderated - it's that simple! The moderators are experienced and can spot when things might get out of hand. :)

That all sounds very reasonable yet it is the case that many moons ago a topic was started by a moderator personally, and when it didn't go the way he wanted or expected it to go he just deleted the whole topic after a couple of pages worth.
The topic was titled "What has the EU ever done for you", a nice balanced title!

At the time I had made my polite contribution- a positive list.
It was also my impassioned beliefs about the issue in question, "The Referendum", and I did not like to see it so summarily dismissed by someone with power over what was written on the forum.

Since then I have watched!
And this is not the first time I am calling him out.

I say non offensive words should not be automatically edited and changed especially by him (assuming it was him???).
It is an abuse of power.
mjr

Post by mjr »

thirdcrank wrote:It's a bit like being a soccer referee, every spectator can do it infinitely better, but when it's Sunday morning on the rec, it's the same handful of volunteers getting it in the neck.

And like being a soccer referee, it's easy to imply that those complaining about bias have no experience but there would be more volunteers willing to do it if the governing body actually supported the referees with the tools to do the job properly. As I understand it, as well as having rather inscrutable processes and an ineffective appeals system, this site is running a near-naked phpbb without any of the nice moderation add-ons. I moderate some forums but I wouldn't want to work in those conditions. So all respect to those that are.

But it still looks like the mods are rather pro-brexit from this mismatch of banned words. Clearly all of supporter of brexit, remainer, wrexiteer and remainer (unravel that, folks!) should be banned, or only wrexiteer and remainer, but the current setting is bonkers.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

I must say that when I posted my original complaint I had no idea that I was discussing a policy issue. I thought I was just having a problem with some bizarre software. I get annoyed when a spellchecker tries to prompt me to spell labour as labor, for example, and thought this was a similar sort of computer issue.
BTW, I hear Laura Kuenssberg on the BBC 10 o’clock news regularly use the term which this forum bans.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Maybe a form of peer approval as used for scientific papers might be appropriate

How much is automatic and how much is done specifically by the moderators?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cyril Haearn wrote:How much is automatic and how much is done specifically by the moderators?
Words that have caused issues and arguments are auto-altered. We had a famous one with Halfords some time back when it was fashionable on here to call them with a "fraud" bit instead of the "ford" bit.
I had to put it like that because if I wrote "word corrected to Halfords", it would get auto-altered. (see what happened then?)
There is a data base of words that are auto-altered. I'm not privvy to it though I am aware of it.

The specifically moderating is done by the mods - and me from time to time - to take out swearing and ranting and insults etc. I tend to stay clear of the contentious stuff other than alerting the mods, but I do have some moderating privileges to take out swearing and hidden swearing as well as spam. I can approve/disapprove first posts from newbies too - by far the most get approved, but there is a steady trickle of spam ranging anywhere from false passports down to drugs, training shoes, dating agencies, and strange stuff full of Chinese writing.

Some posters are banned, others given "holidays" and some asked to tone down their attitudes. It all goes well IMHO, and the forum is a better place for it, but we're only human. Any comments and suggestions are always looked at and considered. Also, anyone who wants to join the team can put themselves forward via a PM to Graham, Si or Vorpal.
Mick F. Cornwall
gaz

Post by gaz »

Mick F wrote:Words that have caused issues and arguments are auto-altered.

[polystyrene hat removed] :wink: .
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mick F you are a Spambuster, what is that? Are there only three moderators? Or is a Spambuster an Uebermoderator? I am a bit confused
May I use the name "Brailsfraud" for a certain sports manager?

I am very keen on enforcing correct use of "can" and "may", could I volunteer to be a moderator to that end?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

.......... and female dogs ............ but after a complaint or two from dog lovers, bitches are allowed now. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
gaz

Post by gaz »

Mick F wrote:... anyone who wants to join the team can put themselves forward via a PM to Graham, Si or Vorpal.

Why not Jill? :mrgreen:
gaz

Post by gaz »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Mick F you are a Spambuster, what is that?

It's like a Ghostbuster but involves canned cooked meat rather than supernatural spirits.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Mick F you are a Spambuster, what is that? Are there only three moderators? Or is a Spambuster an Uebermoderator? I am a bit confused
Sorry, we crossed in the post there.

The steady stream of spam creates work. So it was decided some years ago, to recruit a few regular posters to help out. We were given some admin privileges to enable us to do it. By using these (limited) privileges, there's always someone on here with a look-out for stuff. There's also a good system of alerting the mods if any forumite sees something they're not happy with. See the red exclam symbol on the posts? Click on it and a window will open where you can write your thoughts to the mods. They WILL see it, and I can see it too.

As for spam, it's blatant stuff, but sometimes it's stealth stuff. Some spammers come on here as a first post with a valid question or comment and get approved. Next thing you know, they're advertising training shoes or cheap carbon fibre top of the range knock-off bikes. You get a nose for it and it can be easy to spot these people. Any ones I'm not sure about get picked up by the team.

The three mods are the main workers and it's they who make the rules and the decisions. All we do is keep a lookout and do some tidying and housekeeping. If you have comments or suggestions, please please please make them known.
Mick F. Cornwall
gaz

Post by gaz »

Mick F wrote:The three mods ...

Mods.png
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Someone, correct me if I'm wrong here ............... and I sometimes am.

Jill is a member of the CTC as was, now CyclingUk. It was considered that the head office folk should have some admin input into the forum so she came onboard. Maybe jumped ship now?
Mick F. Cornwall