Clarification on swearing

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
Username
Posts: 289
Joined: 21 Dec 2016, 12:46am

Clarification on swearing

Postby Username » 4 Aug 2018, 12:35pm

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10801

It says here that you cannot alter the spelling in anyway, but you can use loads of *s. If "hell" was a swear word you could say "the weather is hot as ****. But what if I said "the weather is hot a.h". Or more commonly, "WTH"? Is there any issue in using acronyms or abbreviations if the word itself isn't shown?

What about replacing the entire word completely for an alternative word. Say in this example I replaced "hell" with a moon of Uranus. "The weather is hot as Puck!?" Or "that driver was a complete Oberon"!

User avatar
NATURAL ANKLING
Posts: 10739
Joined: 24 Oct 2012, 10:43pm
Location: English Riviera

Re: Clarification on swearing

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 4 Aug 2018, 12:54pm

Hi,
If the software does not block, one of the keen eyed mods will edit it.
We try not to use the worst of stuff, hell or bloody is OK but implying Puck etc is probably going to get your posts edited after a while.

Normally !£$* is OK.
If You Don't Try You Don't Do.....Don't Do You Don't Get...I'm Still Trying....Well Very..
You'll Find Me At The Top Of A Hill...............Somewhere...After Dark..

Username
Posts: 289
Joined: 21 Dec 2016, 12:46am

Re: Clarification on swearing

Postby Username » 5 Aug 2018, 5:51am

Sounds fair enough. I would assume anything like that followed by "off" would be looked down upon. Was wondering with regards to casual stuff.

User avatar
Audax67
Posts: 4539
Joined: 25 Aug 2011, 9:02am
Location: Alsace, France
Contact:

Re: Clarification on swearing

Postby Audax67 » 5 Aug 2018, 7:44am

I dunno. Michael Moorcock had a race/tribe/whatever of people who saw nothing wrong in referring to genitals and cloacal output orificies in jest but were shocked by any mention of elbows. Telling someone to elbow off was a mortal insult. I can't imagine it getting much censure here, though.
Have we got time for another cuppa?

pwa
Posts: 10536
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: Clarification on swearing

Postby pwa » 5 Aug 2018, 10:52am

It would be interesting if we could look at how this develops on this Forum over the years. In some ways it is already behind general society in that language and jokes that would go unremarked on a light hearted TV programme such as Taskmaster would be censored here.

brynpoeth
Posts: 11409
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Clarification on swearing

Postby brynpoeth » 5 Aug 2018, 10:53am

Behind or ahead? :wink:
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

pwa
Posts: 10536
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: Clarification on swearing

Postby pwa » 5 Aug 2018, 11:53am

brynpoeth wrote:Behind or ahead? :wink:

Well this Forum has about the same language sensibilities of my mother-in-law, so behind. :lol: But I don't care.

Vorpal
Moderator
Posts: 17376
Joined: 19 Jan 2009, 3:34pm
Location: Not there ;)

Re: Clarification on swearing

Postby Vorpal » 5 Aug 2018, 11:59am

The intention is to keep the forum family-friendly. So, we remove or edit stuff that doesn't fit in with that.

The filtering software is American, and consequently errs on the side of prudish ;)

p.s. mild 'swearing' such as 'crap' and 'hell' are okay.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

User avatar
Graham
Moderator
Posts: 5955
Joined: 14 Dec 2006, 8:48pm

Re: Clarification on swearing

Postby Graham » 5 Aug 2018, 12:32pm

pwa wrote:It would be interesting if we could look at how this develops on this Forum over the years. In some ways it is already behind general society in that language and jokes that would go unremarked on a light hearted TV programme such as Taskmaster would be censored here.

Thank you - high praise indeed.

I don' t have a television.

Unfortunately, contemporary culture is beginning to pour out of Radio 4 program, so I am not completely out-of-touch.
( I preferred it as the last bastion of the best of British. However, now most of the speakers start their utterances with "So . . . . " ).

The apocalypse is nigh !!!

Bonefishblues
Posts: 6894
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: Clarification on swearing

Postby Bonefishblues » 5 Aug 2018, 12:44pm

Graham wrote:
pwa wrote:It would be interesting if we could look at how this develops on this Forum over the years. In some ways it is already behind general society in that language and jokes that would go unremarked on a light hearted TV programme such as Taskmaster would be censored here.

Thank you - high praise indeed.

I don' t have a television.

Unfortunately, contemporary culture is beginning to pour out of Radio 4 program, so I am not completely out-of-touch.
( I preferred it as the last bastion of the best of British. However, now most of the speakers start their utterances with "So . . . . " ).

The apocalypse is nigh !!!

And indeed the casual use of American English, I note.

It's going to Hull in a handcart, I tell ye! :D

thirdcrank
Posts: 28648
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: Clarification on swearing

Postby thirdcrank » 5 Aug 2018, 12:55pm

If anybody needs clarification about swearing, which on here usually means bad language rather than swearing in the literal sense, they generally need only reflect and then draw back a bit. IMO there's no room for testing the boundaries with clever dodging and self-righteousness.

Beyond that, it shouldn't be hard to treat others with respect and if not, ignore them.

This is all in writing rather than the spoken word so it should never be a matter of a sudden uncharacteristic outburst under stress.

pwa
Posts: 10536
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: Clarification on swearing

Postby pwa » 5 Aug 2018, 1:12pm

Bonefishblues wrote:
Graham wrote:
pwa wrote:It would be interesting if we could look at how this develops on this Forum over the years. In some ways it is already behind general society in that language and jokes that would go unremarked on a light hearted TV programme such as Taskmaster would be censored here.

Thank you - high praise indeed.

I don' t have a television.

Unfortunately, contemporary culture is beginning to pour out of Radio 4 program, so I am not completely out-of-touch.
( I preferred it as the last bastion of the best of British. However, now most of the speakers start their utterances with "So . . . . " ).

The apocalypse is nigh !!!

And indeed the casual use of American English, I note.

It's going to Hull in a handcart, I tell ye! :D

You two got your tin hats on and cellar stocked with baked beans? :lol:

brynpoeth
Posts: 11409
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Clarification on swearing

Postby brynpoeth » 5 Aug 2018, 7:28pm

thirdcrank wrote:If anybody needs clarification about swearing, which on here usually means bad language rather than swearing in the literal sense, they generally need only reflect and then draw back a bit. IMO there's no room for testing the boundaries with clever dodging and self-righteousness.

Beyond that, it shouldn't be hard to treat others with respect and if not, ignore them.
..
..

Plus One, if not, ignore them :wink:

It's a queer business mind, I know some people here, whom I have never met, much better than my neighbours :?

BTW, is it normal for grownups to use emoticons? :)
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

brynpoeth
Posts: 11409
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Clarification on swearing

Postby brynpoeth » 5 Aug 2018, 8:49pm

I am not so good at spelling

May one refer to Mr "Brailsfraud" of team ski?
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 9548
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Clarification on swearing

Postby Cunobelin » 6 Aug 2018, 5:20pm

Irn Bru has a history of pushing the limits.