Clarification on swearing

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
Username

Clarification on swearing

Post by Username »

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10801

It says here that you cannot alter the spelling in anyway, but you can use loads of *s. If "hell" was a swear word you could say "the weather is hot as ****. But what if I said "the weather is hot a.h". Or more commonly, "WTH"? Is there any issue in using acronyms or abbreviations if the word itself isn't shown?

What about replacing the entire word completely for an alternative word. Say in this example I replaced "hell" with a moon of Uranus. "The weather is hot as Puck!?" Or "that driver was a complete Oberon"!
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Clarification on swearing

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
If the software does not block, one of the keen eyed mods will edit it.
We try not to use the worst of stuff, hell or bloody is OK but implying Puck etc is probably going to get your posts edited after a while.

Normally !£$* is OK.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Username

Post by Username »

Sounds fair enough. I would assume anything like that followed by "off" would be looked down upon. Was wondering with regards to casual stuff.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I dunno. Michael Moorcock had a race/tribe/whatever of people who saw nothing wrong in referring to genitals and cloacal output orificies in jest but were shocked by any mention of elbows. Telling someone to elbow off was a mortal insult. I can't imagine it getting much censure here, though.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
pwa

Post by pwa »

It would be interesting if we could look at how this develops on this Forum over the years. In some ways it is already behind general society in that language and jokes that would go unremarked on a light hearted TV programme such as Taskmaster would be censored here.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Behind or ahead? :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Behind or ahead? :wink:

Well this Forum has about the same language sensibilities of my mother-in-law, so behind. :lol: But I don't care.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The intention is to keep the forum family-friendly. So, we remove or edit stuff that doesn't fit in with that.

The filtering software is American, and consequently errs on the side of prudish ;)

p.s. mild 'swearing' such as 'crap' and 'hell' are okay.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Graham

Post by Graham »

pwa wrote:It would be interesting if we could look at how this develops on this Forum over the years. In some ways it is already behind general society in that language and jokes that would go unremarked on a light hearted TV programme such as Taskmaster would be censored here.

Thank you - high praise indeed.

I don' t have a television.

Unfortunately, contemporary culture is beginning to pour out of Radio 4 program, so I am not completely out-of-touch.
( I preferred it as the last bastion of the best of British. However, now most of the speakers start their utterances with "So . . . . " ).

The apocalypse is nigh !!!
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Graham wrote:
pwa wrote:It would be interesting if we could look at how this develops on this Forum over the years. In some ways it is already behind general society in that language and jokes that would go unremarked on a light hearted TV programme such as Taskmaster would be censored here.

Unfortunately, contemporary culture is beginning to pour out of Radio 4 program, so I am not completely out-of-touch.
( I preferred it as the last bastion of the best of British. However, now most of the speakers start their utterances with "So . . . . " ).

And indeed the casual use of American English, I note.

It's going to Hull in a handcart, I tell ye! :D
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If anybody needs clarification about swearing, which on here usually means bad language rather than swearing in the literal sense, they generally need only reflect and then draw back a bit. IMO there's no room for testing the boundaries with clever dodging and self-righteousness.

Beyond that, it shouldn't be hard to treat others with respect and if not, ignore them.

This is all in writing rather than the spoken word so it should never be a matter of a sudden uncharacteristic outburst under stress.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Graham wrote:

And indeed the casual use of American English, I note.

It's going to Hull in a handcart, I tell ye! :D

You two got your tin hats on and cellar stocked with baked beans? :lol:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

thirdcrank wrote:If anybody needs clarification about swearing, which on here usually means bad language rather than swearing in the literal sense, they generally need only reflect and then draw back a bit. IMO there's no room for testing the boundaries with clever dodging and self-righteousness.

Beyond that, it shouldn't be hard to treat others with respect and if not, ignore them.

Plus One, if not, ignore them :wink:

It's a queer business mind, I know some people here, whom I have never met, much better than my neighbours :?

BTW, is it normal for grownups to use emoticons? :)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I am not so good at spelling

May one refer to Mr "Brailsfraud" of team ski?
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Irn Bru has a history of pushing the limits.

[youtube]UkdEL57BmM4[/youtube]

[youtube]0LcHFkXmCb8[/youtube]

[youtube]zpXjU_aLHSU[/youtube]

[youtube]RmxS2DreHcU[/youtube]