How do you unfollow a thread?

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
mnichols

How do you unfollow a thread?

Post by mnichols »

How do you stop following a thread which has run it's course, or just keep morphing into different subjects?

When I click on 'your posts' it shows some threads which just keep coming back.

It puts me off commenting if a title looks like it will run and run

The 'subscribe' tick box seems to have no impact
Redvee

Re: How do you unfollow a thread?

Post by Redvee »

Just below the search box you'll see Notifications, Private Messages and your user name with a drop down arrow beside it. Click on the arrow and select User Control Panel, then manage subscriptions then to unsubscribe mark the forum or topic and then press the Unwatch marked button.

Think that is what you're wanting to do.

HTH
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Redvee wrote:Just below the search box you'll see Notifications, Private Messages and your user name with a drop down arrow beside it. Click on the arrow and select User Control Panel, then manage subscriptions then to unsubscribe mark the forum or topic and then press the Unwatch marked button.

Think that is what you're wanting to do.

HTH

Thanks, that's helpful but not quite what I'm looking for

If you comment on a post, every time somebody else comments on the same post it shows in red at the top of 'Your Posts'. I would like to switch this off for posts I've lost interest in

I could ignore them, but I must be a bit OCD because if it's red I've got to click it......and some posts just keep coming back time and time again
gaz

Post by gaz »

As Redvee said, User Control Panel > Overview > Manage Subscriptions is the route to "unfollow" any particular board or thread.
UCP1.png

There is also an "auto-follow" switch which subscribes every topic you post on. This can be found under User Control Panel > Board preferences > Edit posting defaults > Notify me upon replies by default.

Finally you can fine tune the notifications you'll receive for your subscriptions via User Control Panel > Board preferences > Edit notification options
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think you have to follow a thread to get the effect you are talking about so unfollowing it reverses that. "Your posts" and following a thread are different features, I think.
gaz

Post by gaz »

:oops: TC has read your OP and his answer is right. "Your posts" is simply a list of topics you have posted in, with the one that has had the most recent repsonse from any forum user at the top of the list.

The forum has a few threadcromancers, topics you posted on years ago can find their way to the top in an instant.

There is no way to turn off this feature.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

This thread had me checking what happens because I don't remember ever subscribing to a thread. Unless I'm looking for something older for reference, I always look at the "unread posts" list and open anything I fancy (and I do like clear thread titles.)

I checked and found I was subscribed to two threads from 2017 which seems a bit spooky. There was originally one thread, which was split by a mod for clarity. The username was the name of a company and the language was stilted in a way that set my spammer alarms ringing (They are on a very sensitive setting.) I may have reported it as potential spam but I don't remember. Anyway, the user has not been back which may be a testimonial to the efficiency of the spambusting team but I don't know how I came to be subscribed.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

gaz wrote::oops: TC has read your OP and his answer is right. "Your posts" is simply a list of topics you have posted in, with the one that has had the most recent repsonse from any forum user at the top of the list.

Yes, that's the problem that I have. It's not subjects that I have subscribed to it's posts that I've commented on

Some threads just keep coming back
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

mnichols wrote:
gaz wrote::oops: TC has read your OP and his answer is right. "Your posts" is simply a list of topics you have posted in, with the one that has had the most recent repsonse from any forum user at the top of the list.

Yes, that's the problem that I have. It's not subjects that I have subscribed to it's posts that I've commented on

Some threads just keep coming back

If you click "Quick links" then "your posts" (which I may to have referred to wrongly as "my posts") you will see a list of all the threads to which you have contributed, ordered according to the time/date of the most recent post made by anybody on each thread. Within that list, "new" posts ie those which you have neither opened nor "marked as read" will be highlighted with the red cirle to the left. The only action by you which triggers this is logging on and AFAIK, this is not directly related to thread subscriptions, which are accessed through the user control panel

ie The red circles only appear when you are logged in, they highlight posts you have not "read." You can clear the highlights by "reading" the posts individually, or in bulk with the "mark all read" button. The highlights will (re)appear on "unread" posts whenever you log on. Also, the red highlights appear in any list of threads on which there are "unread" posts.

(I'm no expert here, I'm just trying to give a plain English guide from experience.)
John1054

Post by John1054 »

At the top of every thread, next to the "post reply" button is a spanner symbol. If you click this, it opens up an "unsubscribe topic" button. Click this and you won't receive any more notifications. You can use the same button to subscribe to a topic that you haven't posted on too.

No sure how TC was unubscribed from a split topic - still learning :D
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

John1054 wrote: ... No sure how TC was unubscribed from a split topic - still learning :D

FWIW, I was subscribed to both new threads after the splitting but I don't remember ever subscribing to the original unsplit thread or indeed any others. I only discovered I was subscribed to them when I was trying to write some thread-to-needle instructions to help the OP on this thread and so I followed all the buttons, only to discover that I was subscribed to those two. The subscriptions - no matter what their origins - never resulted in any notifications to me because AFAIK, the OP was a one-strike poster and nobody - including me -ever replied to either post. As I may already have posted, IIRC, I reported the unsplit post as possible spam because of the stilted language etc. That was my only connection.

I am unsubscribed now because I did so as soon as I discovered I was subscribed.