Missing link?

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
RickH

Missing link?

Post by RickH »

Until recently if I used my phone in lanscape/wide view (Android with Firefox browser) near the bottom of a topic there was a link back up a level to the subforum the topic was in (the same as the link in the desktop version of the site). This link didn't appear in portrait/tall view. Now it isn't present for either mobile view. I found it to be a useful tool.

AFAIK I haven't changed anything at this end (but there may well have been updates to Firefox &, possibly, Android as well.

Is there a way to get the link back?
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Paulatic

Re: Missing link?

Post by Paulatic »

Must be your browser it’s still here in IOS
C78B8F42-5529-40C8-A931-5F3ECD91A927.jpeg
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

For some reason the phpBB developers decided to hide this link for screens less than 500 pixels wide.

I've updated the style so the link appears on all screen sizes now.
RickH

Post by RickH »

admin wrote:For some reason the phpBB developers decided to hide this link for screens less than 500 pixels wide.

I've updated the style so the link appears on all screen sizes now.

Thanks it is working now.

But odd that my phone was affected as I have a full HD display which is more than 500 pixels in both directions.
Screenshot_20180917-111511.png
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The problem occurs because the definition of a "pixel" size has changed in recent years. In The Old Days screens generally had 75 or perhaps 150 pixels per inch. These days high-resolution screens on mobile devices happily go to 300 or 400 pixels per inch.

On these high-resolution screens, text measured in pixels becomes too small to read. So high-resolution devices can instead report that they have fewer pixels than they actually do to make things measured in pixels more readable.

For example: a phone with a high-resolution 960 pixel wide display might report that it is 320 pixels wide, so the website renders in "narrow screen" mode, but then scales the web page to fit into the 960 pixels: text that is specified as being 10 pixels high would then be rendered as 30 pixels high, making it a sensible size for reading.