feedback about moderation

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
thirdcrank

Re: feedback about moderation

Post by thirdcrank »

One of the ironies of what's being said here is that Good Old Enoch, in his capacity as Health Secretary actively arranged for the recruitment of nurses from countries which were then collectively known as the West Indies to ease labour shortages in the NHS.

Take it back a bit earlier and the black part of the population of those island were the descendants of slaves shipped from Africa, originally on British ships. And part of the same selective memory believes that the British forces which fought in WWII were all natives of the British Isles. The people who migrated here from the Empire / Commonwealth in the post-war years were British subjects, originally with the same status as natives of the British Isles. The history of subsequent immigration control centred on devising ways of keeping black people out and letting the whites in.

What has become known as the Windrush Generation even involved trying to "send back" people who had been here so long that nobody ever thought that their right to be here would be in doubt.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Saw some inappropriate language in arguments about b----t

Perhaps one should use language that would be appropriate for ones maiden aunt to hear, or that might be suitable when talking to someone bigger than oneself, Tyson Fury for example
How many reports result in action? Majority, minority?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
ncutler

Post by ncutler »

Cyril Haearn wrote:How many reports result in action? Majority, minority?

All reports get considered. Some are pointles, some are excellent. I don't have any numbers to hand but I'd say the majority get actioned.
No pasaran
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

ncutler wrote:

All reports get considered. Some are pointless, some are excellent. I don't have any numbers to hand but I'd say the majority get actioned.

Uh-oh, now you've done it...
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bonefishblues wrote:
ncutler wrote:

All reports get considered. Some are pointless, some are excellent. I don't have any numbers to hand but I'd say the majority get actioned.

Obviously Our Moderators do not model themselves after, for example, the INDEPENDENT Police Complaints Authority
Plus One!
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
ncutler wrote:

Obviously Our Moderators do not model themselves after, for example, the INDEPENDENT Police Complaints Authority
Plus One!

No, not understanding the connection there :D
ncutler

Post by ncutler »

Bonefishblues wrote:No, not understanding the connection there :D

What he means, I think, is that whereas the IPC is a toothless poodle that generally allows the police to get away with whatever they like, the mods on this forum are vicious attack dogs who growl and bite at the slightest opportunity.
No pasaran
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I have asked Carlton green to respond to this thread when he can. He is rather busy at the moment, so that probably will not be immediately.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I am enjoying the contrasting Mod signatures illustrated above :D
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Vorpal wrote:I have asked Carlton green to respond to this thread when he can. He is rather busy at the moment, so that probably will not be immediately.

Hope he can supply some more insights
I shall not be applying, I joined the local museum society, I have plenty to do in retirement :wink:
ncutler

Post by ncutler »

Y'all might find it interesting to know about a bit of moderating activity this evening. Bear in mind that this is an entirely voluntary activity that has to squeeze into the interstices of ones 'life', it's generally enjoyable, but sometimes .....

To start: disapprove 39 identical posts from an expletive deleted git who thinks he has the right to splatter his semi-literate advertising for a totally inappropriate product all over our forum. We get lots of these, but generall only in one's and two's.

Handle a report. It might have been possible to edit the offending post to neutralise the issue, but after wasting time with 39 expletive expletive deleted adverts, and worrying that the tart needed to come out of the oven for dins, it was simpler to just delete the post.

Later. Two totally sensible and well meaning reports suggesting that posts were irrelevant to the forum. Needed thinking about. Decided that both topics were slightly outside the main channel but might well be of interest to cyclists so closed the reports without any action.

It's perfectly possible that another mod would have handled the reported posts differently. The Forum is what it is, we are who we are, nothing is ever black and white, we all make brilliant decisions, mediocre decisions, bad decisions: The Forum pedals on regardless ......
No pasaran
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Excellent Nick! :D
Very nicely put indeed.

I was tucked up and fast asleep by 9pm last evening having been last logged in at 6pm ............... so missed all the fun.
Mick F. Cornwall
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'd just like to point out that this Forum works well only because of the constant work of the Moderators. They have a difficult and time-consuming task to keep out the spammers and abusive messages, and adjudicate in disputes. They get nothing in return other than a sense of pride in a Job Well Done for the benefit of people in the UK who are interested in riding bicycles.

The Moderators are the Good Guys. Without them the Forum would simply not exist.

Forum members would be well advised to be nice to the moderators, and to be respectful in everything that they post to the Forum: that way the Forum will remain a pleasant and useful place to be.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

^^^ +1
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

ncutler wrote:.......The Forum is what it is, we are who we are, nothing is ever black and white, we all make brilliant decisions, mediocre decisions, bad decisions: The Forum pedals on regardless ......

Spot on,**it happens ocassionally but overwhelmingly the moderators do a very good job IMHO.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden