feedback about moderation

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
Jdsk

Re: feedback about moderation

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks admin, ncutler and all the moderators.

It does help to hear a bit more about the work that's done behind the scenes.

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 29 Dec 2020, 12:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
mjr

Post by mjr »

admin wrote:I'd just like to point out that this Forum works well only because of the constant work of the Moderators.

And I'd like to point out that no-one has disputed that the moderators do much-appreciated volunteer work and the forum survives because they are overall net beneficial. Thank you to most of them.

But have you nothing to say about the substantive issues: the lock-and-troll mod action that revived this topic, the Tea Party having their own board/"room" here, the appointment of a mod with dodgy-looking views, or the differences between the actual registration terms and the posted reminder of those terms?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

What might happen if there were no moderation?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cyril Haearn wrote:What might happen if there were no moderation?
The very first thing you would notice ........... and I mean the VERY first thing ................... is the spam.
There's a constant trickle of it 24/7 and sometimes it's a flood.

We used to keep them in the Sin Bin, but nowadays they are just deleted and often the spammer is banned ............. probably to come back with another username and address.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just looking at the log.
I see Nick removed some spam before 8am this morning.

Disapproved topic “rzajzunnnwss” written by “xshqqucx” for the following reason
» The reported message has the only purpose to advertise for a website or another product.
Mick F. Cornwall
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

1) There would soon be more posts trying to sell you dodgy stuff than interesting posts. Spammers are constantly trying to get in.

2) Many discussions would descend into pointless, childish, abusive name-calling. Goodwin's law [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law] would apply to many posts.

3) The Forum would slowly wither and die, as it would contain mostly abuse and spam.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

admin wrote:

1) There would soon be more posts trying to sell you dodgy stuff than interesting posts. Spammers are constantly trying to get in.

2) Many discussions would descend into pointless, childish, abusive name-calling. Goodwin's law [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law] would apply to many posts.

3) The Forum would slowly wither and die, as it would contain mostly abuse and spam.

Why don't you show us?
Have say a 48 hour period with no moderation or other influence.
Have your overworked selves a new year break?

An auto delete of offensive terms already exists I believe, and any new members could get a; "Sorry out of the office for 2 days-your post will be processed in due course " notice as they enroll.

An interesting experiment?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

People usually question moderation when it's them that got moderated. TMs forum rule, not on Wikipedia. I've experienced that in another forum when I got deleted and a slap down pm from a moderator, possibly the main moderator or admin bloke with the highest level of moderator access.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
admin wrote:

Why don't you show us?
Have say a 48 hour period with no moderation or other influence.
Have your overworked selves a new year break?

An auto delete of offensive terms already exists I believe, and any new members could get a; "Sorry out of the office for 2 days-your post will be processed in due course " notice as they enroll.

An interesting experiment?

I think that it would require longer than 48 hours. IME forums are always a reflection of the Forum rules as implemented by the mods - I have accounts across a number of forums and each has its individual 'profile' which is well understood (and tested on occasion) by members.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F. Cornwall
Graham

Post by Graham »

We had an incidental experiment a few days ago . . . . . I didn't logon here for 24 - 36 hours and thus, didn't do my daily/twice-daily, pre-emptive review of Newly-registered accounts.

This appears to have resulted in the 39 spam posts on the Approval queue, that ncutler had to delete. [ Sorry, ncutler, I thought I best keep quiet about that. Thanks for handling it - may all your tarts be tasty and perfectly-formed ].
ncutler

Post by ncutler »

Graham wrote:This appears to have resulted in the 39 spam posts on the Approval queue, that ncutler had to delete. [ Sorry, ncutler, I thought I best keep quiet about that. Thanks for handling it - may all your tarts be tasty and perfectly-formed ].

No worries: it's good to give the blood pressure a bit of exercise from time to time.

The tart was brilliant: anyone want the recipe ? or were you referring to "tarts" ?
No pasaran
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm not one of those unhappy with the moderation.

I will point out, however, that there's a difference between things like clearing out spam - which is purely administrative - and dealing with bitter political exchanges. While the former is unseen so unappreciated work on everyone's behalf there's nothing remotely contentious about it. ie IMO it's irrelevant to the issues raised by those who are unhappy.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Thanks for the offer - I'll pass on the recipe though thanks, as I don't appear to eat any pastry-based food these days.

. . . but visiting any decent boulangerie causes me the distress of extra-ordinary temptation. It all looks delicious !
mjr

Post by mjr »

Tangled Metal wrote:People usually question moderation when it's them that got moderated. TMs forum rule, not on Wikipedia.

Maybe that is when you question it, but in my experience both sides of the curtain, it is more often questioned when the moderation is becoming intrusive, most often from messing up discussions or leaving hateful attacks up.

Appointing a mod with a history of extremist posts also attracts questions, which I think is understandable.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.