feedback about moderation

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
mjr

Re: feedback about moderation

Post by mjr »

admin wrote:
mjr wrote:How do you reason that? What part or parts do you think are not satisfied?

• The individuals are not easily identifiable (you would have to go and look up who it might be)
  • The statement is not likely to "cause them loss in their trade or profession"
  • The statement is not likely to "causes a reasonable person to think worse of him, her or them".

They're all over the news at the moment. I'm pretty sure that would count as easily identifiable.

The next two are "or" so leaving aside the question of loss, I think the flat-out assertion that they have those negative traits is clearly intended to make us think worse of them, so then your defence is that no reasonable person would believe Spinners? :lol:

admin wrote:
mjr wrote:
admin wrote:I'm pretty sure at least The Daily Mail has published much worse statements about named politicians and public figures.

And I'm pretty sure at least The Daily Mail has been found guilty of libel many times, including politicians such as ex-minister Alan Sugar.

Yes, but the Daily Mail has not been sued for libel for statements about politicians, in the front page headline, that are much more explicit about who the individuals are, and are much more likely to change people's opinions of those people.

That politicians (who probably still hope for its support for their party at elections) have not chosen to sue the DM doesn't mean the statements aren't libellous! :roll:

admin wrote:However I am not a defamation expert, and should such an expert approach me saying that something on the Forum was libellous, I would of course take suitable action!

Then the forum rules should be changed to state that only experts can expect a fair consideration of reports of illegal activity, to save the rest of us wasting our time reporting stuff that just gets dismissed unfixed.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Whilst I disagree with it, there's nothing remotely libellous in that comment. It's pretty typical of the letters page in a newspaper TBH.

And even if there were, it's the moderators job to assess it, not yours.

Move on.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

mjr wrote:
admin wrote:However I am not a defamation expert, and should such an expert approach me saying that something on the Forum was libellous, I would of course take suitable action!

Then the forum rules should be changed to state that only experts can expect a fair consideration of reports of illegal activity, to save the rest of us wasting our time reporting stuff that just gets dismissed unfixed.

I wasn't clear. In my considered opinion the post you reported was nowhere near being libellous, but I am open to being persuaded otherwise.

In any case, libel is a tort (a civil offence), not a criminal offence. It is up to the person who is damaged to bring a case, and if successful they can claim damages. You cannot be sent to prison for libelling someone.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

How often are whole threads deleted and why? I thought this was not done often, or might they have been merged? I could not find a couple I thought I remembered
Is data storage capacity an issue?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:How often are whole threads deleted and why? I thought this was not done often, or might they have been merged? I could not find a couple I thought I remembered
Is data storage capacity an issue?

They aren't deleted very often. What were you looking for?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Is data storage capacity an issue?

Nope, storage is not an issue.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The Terry's Primus stove frame-fitting clip thread was a legendary example of a thread disappearing. Nobody twigged that a "wanted" ad had grown legs and that when it stopped running it would eventually auto-delete after a month or whatever.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Mods are very happy :D . . . . . . . . . to save any Small Ads anomalies that emerge as something special to preserve.

Just report it as such .
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Graham wrote:Mods are very happy :D . . . . . . . . . to save any Small Ads anomalies that emerge as something special to preserve.

Just report it as such .

I'm not complaining - just explaining. (And reminiscing :oops: )
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

thirdcrank wrote:The Terry's Primus stove frame-fitting clip thread was a legendary example of a thread disappearing. Nobody twigged that a "wanted" ad had grown legs and that when it stopped running it would eventually auto-delete after a month or whatever.

I've always regretted missing that one! I think it was before my time. Maybe it's on the Wayback machine but I wouldn't know where to start. :D
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Are mods legally responsible, if someone posts libellous, obscene, illegal material for example? Is the forum responsible as 'publisher'? Or only the poster?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

As I understand it, the "publisher" would be me (or my company), but that it's unlikely that I would be found jointly liable for material posted here unless I deliberately allowed it to remain in place after I had been made aware of it.

I also understand that the courts tend to think of Forums like this as "speaking" rather than "writing", so claims tend to be treated as slander rather than libel. The specific situation would probably affect this: a "sticky" post would be more "published" than a comment on a thread several pages deep.

Either way, the complainant would have to show that a Forum post had significantly affected their life in some way.

I am confident that the mods, along with the other people who use this Forum, would deal with anything serious with the attention is deserved.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

LollyKat wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:The Terry's Primus stove frame-fitting clip thread was a legendary example of a thread disappearing. Nobody twigged that a "wanted" ad had grown legs and that when it stopped running it would eventually auto-delete after a month or whatever.

I've always regretted missing that one! I think it was before my time. Maybe it's on the Wayback machine but I wouldn't know where to start. :D

A picture and some links which may help assuage your regret....

http://cycleseven.org/cycling-and-stoving

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/terry-clips.84/

http://www.smhc.co.uk/objects_item.asp?item_id=33105

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/g ... 7tyaBzosIJ
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

LollyKat wrote:

I've always regretted missing that one!
I don't think I've laughed so much in my whole life during that thread. :lol: :lol:

I suppose if I were to read it all through again now - if it could be found - it wouldn't be as hilarious as it then was.
Maybe you had to be there at that time with those people posting then .......... and "live" so to speak.
Mick F. Cornwall
gaz

Post by gaz »

LollyKat wrote:I've always regretted missing that one! I think it was before my time. Maybe it's on the Wayback machine but I wouldn't know where to start. :D

Before my time, although I do know where to start on the Wayback Machine and I've tried.
Mick F wrote:I suppose if I were to read it all through again now - if it could be found - it wouldn't be as hilarious as it then was.

It will take a better man than I to find it, treasure the memory.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade