A quick suggestion

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
sjs

Re: A quick suggestion

Post by sjs »

Mick F wrote:
Paulatic wrote:Unless it was Bob or Jane Founders who the green had belonged to. :D Then surely its Founders Green.
Nope.
If it was Bob Founders, it would be Bob Founders' Green.
Bob and Jane Founders would be a singular entity, so that would be Bob and Jane Founders' Green too.

S apostrophe is usually for plurals, but if the possessive ends in a S, it's S apostrophe too.

Apparently King;s Cross station has not always had an official apostrophe. Queens' college Cambridge was Queen's until 1831. And as mjr pointed out the history of apostrophe's in tube station name's is interesting.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Place names don't require apostrophes, even if they were named because of someone's possession. So, even if it was Bob Founder's Green, or Jane Founders' Green, or Bob and Jane Founders' Green. Simply because it is a place name, Founders Green requires no apostrophe.

I suggest that we solve the problem by eliminating the apostrophe from the English language :P

I cant imagine why it is necessary, anyway. Then, we neednt worry about the little symbol, only whether your has an 'e' or not. :lol: :lol:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

There's a pub up the road from here.
The Queens Head.

Note the lack of apostrophe.
It's not there because it's a name of a business, not the possession of the head. I queried it with a previous landlady when they had a new sign made. She put me straight and nearly bit my head off! :lol:

Saw another street sign yesterday.
Taylors Lane. I smiled and wondered what the verb "to lane" might be.

Without an apostrophe, it becomes a statement of fact, like smugglers cottage ................. as opposed to smuggler's cottage or smugglers' cottage which would then be nouns.
Mick F. Cornwall
gaz

Post by gaz »

It may be worth noting that the official registration of the CTC does not include an apastrophe, whereas the official registration of each of the CTC's subsidiaries does.
Untitled.png

Perhaps we should default to the Schrödinger apostrophe which is both present and absent until observed.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

gaz wrote:Perhaps we should default to the Schrödinger apostrophe which is both present and absent until observed.
Love it! :lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall