Cycling forum

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
wrangler_rover

Cycling forum

Post by wrangler_rover »

As a relative newcomer to the CTC forum, I would like to make a comment.
I understand this is a cycling forum.
There seem to be a couple of topics that:
Have nothing to do with cycling: "Speed cameras"
Seem to be degenerating into an anti police discussion: "Have you ever caught a bike thief"

What is the policy of the moderators on such topics?
In a motoring forum for example, if a thread goes off motoring, it is locked.
The discussions are interesting to read, but, they seem to have wandered into the realms of little to do with cycling.
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

Well I started the speed camera topic and the forum it is in is called "On the road". The speed and behaviour of car drivers has a big impact on how safe and pleasurable riding on the road is. Hence I feel it is very relevant.

I find road riding stressful, maybe not as stressful as car commuting, but as a result I've started riding off road.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

if you're not offensive, why wouldn't you be allowed to ramble on about whatever you'd like to?

if you're not interested in beer, or bicycle theft, the it's fairly obvious that you don't need to read the posts - nothing's obligatory 8)

for example i haven't read or contributed to the thread regarding the PM...IMHO, it's pointless to try and discuss politics, but if some want to, why not?

welcome anyhow :D
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

wrangler rover

I am surprised that anybody even remotely interested in cycling (unless they spend all their time off-road) could fail to see the connection between cycling and speed cameras.

It seems to me that recently there has been a tendency to put stuff which might be better in Tea Shop all over the forum (and I do not include speed cameras in that) but so what? IMO, the answer is just to ignore what you don't like. It's not like a newspaper, magazine or TV programme, where anything going in displaces something else which you might prefer. Here it's elastic - room for anything except gratuitous nastiness.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

For my part I think that there are a lot of topics directly related to cycling,politricks being one,and has been said speed cameras definately being another.
IMO cycling like anything doesn't happen in a vacum,but is part of the whole (of life),eg yobs can effect my cycling as can politrikians,as can trains,cars,health,clothing,spectacles,work,crime,policing,wildlife,etc,etc.
If you fail to see that then I personally don't know where you're doing your cycling.
I can understand that say politricks can be tedious but it isn't unrelated at all.
Motoring forums I would I imagine lock the world out of the confines of their precious metal box :roll:
Jeckyll_n_Snyde

Post by Jeckyll_n_Snyde »

As a member of several forums on different interests that i have, there is on most of them a "anything goes/non-related" section that are dedicated to general rants/moans/winges etc. etc. apart from the main theme of the forum. I see this as common place on forums and there is always some sections that i dont venture into; on here i avoid the Mountain Biking, Campaigning & Public Policy, National Standard Cycle Training and the Charity Rides sections, i just dont enter them out of choice.
If the sign on the door says "Politics & Religion" i dont enter, whereas if the sign says "Verbal abuse..enter at own risk" i cant wait to get in :wink:
MALE by the evolutionary process of natural selection
Heterosexual by choice
Atheist by the grace of G** :wink: :wink: :wink:
Bodie

Post by Bodie »

I look at this as a forum for cyclists to talk.

If I wanted to comment on the weather would I have to look for a forum about that, join and then add my comment?

More fun just to get to know people with a shared interest and let the waffle fill in the day...
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Bodie wrote:More fun just to get to know people with a shared interest and let the waffle fill in the day...

Wonderfully put.
Mick F. Cornwall
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

This forum has a pretty good "atmosphere" on the whole, compared with one or two (None cycling) boards I could think of, where the main activity sometimes seems to be humiliating the uninitiated. Given that, it seems quite appropriate for moderators to take a relaxed view of the topics that engage members interest. I think interest in this topic is quite understandable. I haven't entirely given up hope of triggering one, one day :lol:

We need our dreams!
Si

Post by Si »

What is the policy of the moderators on such topics?

People are free to discuss a wide variety of topics, not just cycling. We do ask that people try to put their topics into the appropriate board: that is, if you want to talk about something that is little to do with cycling then do it in the Tea Shop, and likewise, don't ask what the best tyre to use is in the Campaigning section.

However, it is a fact of life that topics will often drift off topic. This means that either we have to

1/ move the whole thread elsewhere (not ideal then because the original posts will be in the wrong place),
2/ seperate out the off topic posts and put them in a new place (not ideal 'cos it would take so much of the mod's time and anyway the forum SW doesn't let us merge posts into a new thread),
3/ lock the thread and say that you have to go else where to discuss the new topic (don't really see the point in this because someone might want to go back on topic, and it does seem a little heavy handed if no forum rules have been broken),
4/ add a polite request to the thread that those wanting to discuss a new topic start a new thread (we do this some times, and sometimes it works, others it doesn't),
5/ or just let the thread be (if it's not hurting anyone why bother upsetting people by locking the thread?).

If anyone has other ideas on how we should deal with such circumstances then please let us know.

But as this thred has little to do with cycling and more to do with the forum then I'm going to move it :twisted:
byegad

Post by byegad »

I think you've got it about right Si.

Speed Cameras IS a cucling issue, in my opinion.
So is the weather.
So is the apparent disinterest of various Police Forces, sorry 'Services', with bicycle crime.

As to relevance. In my experience most cycling groups talk about almost anything at the Tea stop rather than bikes.
wrangler_rover

Post by wrangler_rover »

Thnk you for the replies.
I was curious as to the chat rooms policies regarding wandering off topic.
I find this forum to be friendly and tolerant to other peoples opinions.