Too many requests

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
Oldjohnw

Too many requests

Post by Oldjohnw »

I am getting a message "Too many requests" when I try various fora. What is that all about?
John
Cyril Haearn

Re: Too many requests

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I had that this morning, maintenance maybe
Or too many users on line? Not so likely then

Went back to sleep, tried again later, all ok
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sorry, there was an apparent DDoS attack on the Forum from early morning until I woke up. Hundreds of requests per second for every Forum topic possible from many different servers. Caused the database server to run out of connections.

Fixed, and new protection measures in place.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Happened again to me a couple of days ago and only got connected again an hour or so ago.
John
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

After opening and/or reading every dozen or so posts I get shut out again with he message "Too many requests". This might be for an hour or several hours.

Since originally I was shut out for three days I can never catch up. Can you help?
John
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Can it be connected to the Bots working?
They seem to be busy
kuriisenbo wrote:I know how annoying it is when someone tells you what to buy for their wedding or birthday. I usually go for a set of amazing and crystal glasses and nothing more. Newlyweds should understand they make weddings for them and their relatives, but not for getting money for their honeymoon in Maldives.

binvius wrote:I always go for the same thing which is one of the Darlington crystal cut glasses sets and then have them engraved.

Newest today
search.php?author_id=51505&sr=posts
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Oldjohnw wrote:After opening and/or reading every dozen or so posts I get shut out again with he message "Too many requests". This might be for an hour or several hours.

Since originally I was shut out for three days I can never catch up. Can you help?

Sorry John, you must be opening topics to read very quickly one after another: too quickly to actually have time to read any of them. I'll have a look in the logs, and will double-check the "Too many requests" trigger threshold.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I've adjusted the "too many requests" limit to allow people to look at many topics in quick succession at a reasonable rate for a human being to click, speed-read, and request the next topic page. You shouldn't get blocked any more, John.

Tip: you might be able to avoid having to read a lot of topic pages if you click on the topic icon rather than the topic title. The icon takes you to the first topic post that you haven't read, rather than the first page of the topic.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Thanks. Just been able to get on after about 30 hours.
John
SeptCollines

Post by SeptCollines »

I still cannot post as non of my posts seem to get approval.What is the reason?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That isn't anything to do with the Forum software, or the server security.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

admin wrote:Sorry, there was an apparent DDoS attack on the Forum from early morning until I woke up. Hundreds of requests per second for every Forum topic possible from many different servers. Caused the database server to run out of connections.

Fixed, and new protection measures in place.

DDoS attack!!?
I looked it up.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial- ... ice_attack

On a cycling forum? :shock:
To what purpose?
All that effort.

It seems to me the Internet and fora are likely to die out in their present form.
Throw in a bit of genuine banking fraud and the scams and I start to feel as if I could just throw my device away.
It could become simply not worth it.
Maybe?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

After being shut out again - following a mere 3 minutes connection - I have finally discovered the problem , or at least found the solution.

This was the only site where I had a problem so i cannot say what went wrong. I put it right simply by disconnecting and then reconnecting my router.
John
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you get blocked again, please could you let me know your IP address (ask Google) _before_ you restart your router?

Then I can look to see what your IP address has been requesting. Might give us a clue why you're having these "too many requests" problems.

Reconnecting your router will (typically) allocate you a new internet IP address, so you bypass the block on the old one.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

admin wrote:If you get blocked again, please could you let me know your IP address (ask Google) _before_ you restart your router?

Then I can look to see what your IP address has been requesting. Might give us a clue why you're having these "too many requests" problems.

Reconnecting your router will (typically) allocate you a new internet IP address, so you bypass the block on the old one.

Thanks. Most helpful and will do.

I did for a while think that you just didn't like me.
John