Gmail spam filter and topic reply notifications

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
deliquium

Re: Gmail spam filter and topic reply notifications

Post by deliquium »

deliquium wrote:Same problem here - and even following Gmail's suggestion to create a filter that is supposed to stop mbadmin@cyclinguk.org forever going to the Gmail spam folder - doesn't work either.

Well, the Gmail filter I applied (see image) now appears to be working (or I was confused/lying/misleading when previously posting ^ :roll: ), as I received email notification for this and another topic and neither went automatically to the Spam folder :D
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-12-02 at 11.24.01.png
Last edited by deliquium on 2 Dec 2020, 12:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Thanks for the suggestion, deliquium. I’ve now attempted to set this up (by selecting an email from the CyclingUK notifier in my Spam folder in Gmail, clicking the three vertical dots to the right of the time it was sent, and then selecting “Filter messages like this” – in case anyone else was wondering). Fingers crossed.
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Can confirm that the Gmail filter, as detailed above is allowing notifications from the forum to reach my Gmail inbox + successfully reaching my Apple Mail also :D

(maybe it's not a bad thing that people like Google et al, keep us on out toes with their quiet changes? As long as there's a simple solution :wink: )
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Thanks for finally giving my new filter something to do, deliquium! Ha ha.

Works for me too, though I get an obnoxious warning that I’m only seeing the message because of my filter, so on my head be it. Thanks, Google.

On the plus side, while fooling around with this filter I took the opportunity (in Settings > Labels and Settings > Chat and Meet) to hide all the clutter that had gradually crept into the left panel of my Gmail web interface. You know, Hangouts, Snoozed (eh?), Scheduled (I make a point of living a scheduleless life, near as I can), all those priority labels I never bothered to figure out, All Mail (wot?), etc.

My left panel now looks like this and reminds me of the good old days when I knew what the heck was going on and where my data was:

One reason I wasn’t seeing these messages in Spam was that my whole Spam folder was burried under the nonsense I’ve now removed, below the fold so to speak. Fixed.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

For those who've had trouble with this, I think it should be sorted now.

The Forum now sends mail out using Cycling UK's mail servers, so the messages should pass DKIM, SPF and DMARC tests properly.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

admin wrote:For those who've had trouble with this, I think it should be sorted now.

I quoted the bit of your reply that I can understand and can confirm it now works at my end. Thanks for your efforts to resolve the problem. Appreciated.
RickH

Post by RickH »

admin wrote:For those who've had trouble with this, I think it should be sorted now.

The Forum now sends mail out using Cycling UK's mail servers, so the messages should pass DKIM, SPF and DMARC tests properly.

Emails received up to 2:15pm had warning messages. Those received from 3:29pm (none for me in the intervening period) no longer do.

I note that the links in the email have changed to hideously long ones. In my Gmail phone app they run to 12 or 13 lines each (mostly of gobbledygook) compared to the 1 or 2 lines if previous emails.

Old links
Old links

New links
New links
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The hideously-long links are part of Cycling UK's email system (they use Sendgrid), which is seemingly converting the original links into ones that track clicks.

I'll ask if they can turn this off for Forum links.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, the tracking links have been turned off. Should all be working nicely now.
RickH

Post by RickH »

admin wrote:OK, the tracking links have been turned off. Should all be working nicely now.

I can confirm that this is now the case. :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.