Vorpal - please explain your moderation decision.

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
pwa

Re: Vorpal - please explain your moderation decision.

Post by pwa »

simonineaston wrote: 25 Jun 2021, 11:27am re the leaving or not arguements, what's interesting is not so much the pros and cons of each of the two approaches, but the high emotions and controversy that's resulted from the question being put - and indeed answered - in the first place. Funny thing is, far from dealing with the issue "once & for all" as perhaps the more naive players may have wanted us to believe, back in 2015/16, the whole issue is more present and raw than ever before!
As of June 2021, I imagine it'd be relatively easy to create a spreadsheet that would show, in straightforward numbers, based on fiscal & economic data, that leaving hasn't worked out well at all, although of course the Covid factor would be problematic. But that still wouldn't take into account factors like voters' attitudes, education and political awarenss - and that sort of stuff is quite difficult to reflect in Excel (or Numbers if you use a Mac)...
You clearly have an appetite for continuing with that debate, and if it feels right for you, do so. But I suggest that for everybody's sanity it might be best to confine that debate to its own thread(s) and avoid it contaminating other threads. That way, some of us can stay clear of it. Interestingly, the topic being discussed by the OP was, on the face of it, a less contentious one.
Albrecht

Post by Albrecht »

DevonDamo wrote: 4 Mar 2021, 9:03pm I'm sorry Vorpal, but once again I find myself in absolute disagreement with your 'politeness over content' approach to moderation.

I'm now well familiar with your 'politeness over content' approach, however, as with the previous debacle where you left bigoted, racist content up whilst moderating my protests against this, you've clearly got your priorities wrong in this case.
I'll second that from other discussion.

They've got a habit of fixating on certain users once they've been flagged up by some snitcher too, and either have too superficial a reading level or lack a sense of irony.

Even on my scant experience with this forum, I'm not surprised to see Bonefishblues defending them.

Is there some kind of hive mind cabal one needs to be aware of not disturbing?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Albrecht wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 11:34am
DevonDamo wrote: 4 Mar 2021, 9:03pm I'm sorry Vorpal, but once again I find myself in absolute disagreement with your 'politeness over content' approach to moderation.

I'm now well familiar with your 'politeness over content' approach, however, as with the previous debacle where you left bigoted, racist content up whilst moderating my protests against this, you've clearly got your priorities wrong in this case.
I'll second that from other discussion.

They've got a habit of fixating on certain users once they've been flagged up by some snitcher too, and either have too superficial a reading level or lack a sense of irony.

Even on my scant experience with this forum, I'm not surprised to see Bonefishblues defending them.

Is there some kind of hive mind cabal one needs to be aware of not disturbing?
Your comprehension lets you down there too, assuming you're referencing the thread we're on, but already, even based on out brief acquaintance I'm not surprised. Or maybe we've met before? :lol:
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

After having a couple of posts removed by mods (1) conspiring to suppress my right to freedom of expression (2) I shall instead summarise my views thus:

Those complaining of moderation would do much better to reflect on how to change their own behaviour rather than put forward various paranoid conspiracy theories about the mods, who do an excellent job in difficult circumstances.

(1) true, my frustration got the better of me. Apologies.
(2) an attempt at humour
Albrecht

Post by Albrecht »

Bonefishblues wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 12:56pm Your comprehension lets you down there too, assuming you're referencing the thread we're on, but already, even based on out brief acquaintance I'm not surprised. Or maybe we've met before?
In the old days of Usenet there used to be a meme about all the different types of characters who exist and how they reacted in a conflict. I wish I could find it at again as it was both humorous, and has remained true to form.
DevonDamo wrote: 4 Mar 2021, 9:03pmI'm now well familiar with your 'politeness over content' approach, however, as with the previous debacle where you left bigoted, racist content up whilst moderating my protests against this, you've clearly got your priorities wrong in this case.
Albrecht

Post by Albrecht »

Albrecht wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 9:46pmIn the old days of Usenet there used to be a meme about all the different types of characters who exist and how they reacted in a conflict. I wish I could find it at again as it was both humorous, and has remained true to form.
Oh, just for the record, I'm the "type" who likes to call a spade a spade.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Albrecht wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 9:46pm [personal attacks removed by moderator]
We're very lucky to have the Moderators we have. As I understand it the numbers are now low, and I haven't heard that others have stepped up in response to the invitation.

I imagine that no-one likes their posts being moderated. But this type of abusive public posting won't help us to retain our current Moderators or recruit more.

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

Albrecht wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 9:46pm No, we've never met but every forum has fixating moderators,
As always, there's a door.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Albrecht wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 9:50pm Oh, just for the record, I'm the "type" who likes to call a spade a spade.
'Spade' is a derogatory term for Black people.
PH wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 10:13pm
Albrecht wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 9:46pm No, we've never met but every forum has fixating moderators,
Albrecht has been seen out it.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Vorpal wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 9:17am
Albrecht wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 9:50pm Oh, just for the record, I'm the "type" who likes to call a spade a spade.
'Spade' is a derogatory term for Black people.
PH wrote: 9 Aug 2022, 10:13pm
Albrecht has been seen out it.
I’ve long believed that the moderation team are far too tolerant and shouldn’t put up with abuse direct towards them. Abuse of other members really isn’t acceptable either.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.