Vorpal - please explain your moderation decision.

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
ncutler

Re: Vorpal - please explain your moderation decision.

Post by ncutler »

thirdcrank wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 10:06am Is it now being said that comments about Brexit - something that is likely to affect our lives for a long time - may only be posted on existing Brexit threads?
There is no formal forum policy about this. There is a general agreement to discourage threads that morph into a quasi-political slanging match that go on-and-on-and-on-and-on-and achieve nothing except set people at each other and pollute the atmosphere. Threads about brexit tend to do this .........

It can be awkward. I have very strong and, I think, well founded views about "global Britain" and our beloved leader but I don't allow my personal opinions to moderate the moderation.
No pasaran
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I am sympathetic to the suggestion that comments about leaving the EU are just as relevent now as they were in say 2016, or 2020... the decision to leave has already proved to have negative consequences for cyclists across a broad range of issues - and will continue to do so. The fact that a number of serious players are happy to state that they will continue to lobby in favour of rejoining should make clear that the issue remains contentious.
However, on the other hand, the issue of "Brexit", how it was done and the strong emotions prompted thereby might usefully be left in the past - let's instead look to the future and how best we can make sure that cycling is most easily done, the best amount of fun it can be and enjoyeable wherever we are in the world. Our leaving the EU has impacted on that ambition and so we should continue to give it thought and put foward suggestions that may help future plans.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

Interesting thread, with defence and not on both sides, with some Mods giving their views. Most interesting bit I take from it is that Vorpal hasn't said anything - read into that what you will!!
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

simonineaston wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 10:50am I am sympathetic to the suggestion that comments about leaving the EU are just as relevent now as they were in say 2016, or 2020...
Yes, true,
... but I think the structure of internet forums - which are fundamentally different to a chat over the garden fence, or down the pub - is not sympathetic to discussing every "relevant" issue on every loosely-related thread. Otherwise why have any separate threads (or sub-forums) at all? Why not just one long "Bikes, Money, Life and Death" thread that everyone chucks their thoughts into?
(or in other words - jog off to a chatroom if you want that style of discussion :-) )

If we're discussing how to get a 9-speed tubeless titanium flange from Slovakia, there is no point repeating the whole Brexit debate; all that matters is the logistics of getting that flange home!!!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

ncutler wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 10:47am
thirdcrank wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 10:06am Is it now being said that comments about Brexit - something that is likely to affect our lives for a long time - may only be posted on existing Brexit threads?
There is no formal forum policy about this. There is a general agreement to discourage threads that morph into a quasi-political slanging match that go on-and-on-and-on-and-on-and achieve nothing except set people at each other and pollute the atmosphere. Threads about brexit tend to do this .........

It can be awkward. I have very strong and, I think, well founded views about "global Britain" and our beloved leader but I don't allow my personal opinions to moderate the moderation.
Thanks for that. I'll put you down as a "Don't know."
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Presumeably, you mean
Vorpal wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 8:51am Several posts have been removed.

Please do not turn this thread into another Brexit thread.

Thanks.
from The Europe July ??? thread.

I posted due to having to moderate what was turning into another Brexit slanging match. Brexit is obviously relevant to that thread, and it is fine to discuss it there, but it was degenerating into insults.

Maybe I was not adequately clear.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The thread was full of insults and misinformation right from the start and you did nothing until people responded. You seem to think anyone who supported Brexit must be gagged.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

al_yrpal wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 8:09am The thread was full of insults and misinformation right from the start and you did nothing until people responded. You seem to think anyone who supported Brexit must be gagged.

Al
It's at least reassuring that all sides feel aggrieved :wink:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Speaking only for myself, my only reason for posting on this thread was to seek clarification, and in good faith. For anybody who missed the bits that have gone and is interested, I mentioned that I had voted Remain, simply to try to convey that I was not posting from some sort of ideological position. FWIW, if it's only insults that attract the chop, then a good avoiding tactic seems to translate them into a foreign language. Anyway, time to move on but I really am as confused as when I first posted above. When you understand how you have transgressed, it's easy to avoid a repeat AND to avoid it appearing to be experimenting how close you can sail to the wind.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

thirdcrank wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 9:03am FWIW, if it's only insults that attract the chop, then a good avoiding tactic seems to translate them into a foreign language.
I wouldn't chance it. I know a few insults in languages other than English, but perhaps best not used. :shock: I remember being bemused to learn that the well-known musical cliché Shave and a Haircut is grossly offensive if played in Mexico. I won't quote the alternative (Spanish) lyrics here, you can look them up! :shock:

All moderators, including Vorpal (whom I respect) are only human, and often assume some position on the political spectrum. It therefore seems a shame when those who are some distance from them on said spectrum, complain of bias. You can't please everyone, but isn't this a case of 'shoot the messenger'?

I seem to recall, on Tw*tter, didn't they use to retain the inappropriate tweets but cover them with a warning message? Indeed, didn't they use to do that to a notorious former Tw*tter user (whose name escapes me for the moment... :lol: ) - much to his annoyance? I wonder if the same could be done here. Just to show us what sort of stuff isn't acceptable on the forum - in case anyone's in doubt...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Just to be clear, I'm talking about this.
[French (moderated)]
For anybody who's missed the point, the verb ramper in this context means to slither - think of the serpent in Genesis 3:14
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

661-Pete wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 10:14amI seem to recall, on Tw*tter, didn't they use to retain the inappropriate tweets but cover them with a warning message? Indeed, didn't they use to do that to a notorious former Tw*tter user (whose name escapes me for the moment... :lol: ) - much to his annoyance? I wonder if the same could be done here. Just to show us what sort of stuff isn't acceptable on the forum - in case anyone's in doubt...
We have a Sin Bin where some of the moderated/removed posts are sent to.
This is done so the mods can assemble evidence.

Theoretically, all the forum members could be given access and not have posting access. Just "read only" access.

Dunno if it's been thought about, but this thread is obviously read by everybody, including the mods of course!
Mick F. Cornwall
pwa

Post by pwa »

ncutler wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 10:47am

In these very divisive times I think there is a lot to be said for each and every one of us avoiding comments that could turn less contentious discussions into yet another Brexit spat. I am consciously avoiding anything Brexit related now, having learned that life without Brexit arguments is better for me and probably better for the people I might argue with.

I find it surprising that moderators have got through Brexit without quitting this Forum. Ten out of ten for stamina!
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

re the leaving or not arguements, what's interesting is not so much the pros and cons of each of the two approaches, but the high emotions and controversy that's resulted from the question being put - and indeed answered - in the first place. Funny thing is, far from dealing with the issue "once & for all" as perhaps the more naive players may have wanted us to believe, back in 2015/16, the whole issue is more present and raw than ever before!
As of June 2021, I imagine it'd be relatively easy to create a spreadsheet that would show, in straightforward numbers, based on fiscal & economic data, that leaving hasn't worked out well at all, although of course the Covid factor would be problematic. But that still wouldn't take into account factors like voters' attitudes, education and political awarenss - and that sort of stuff is quite difficult to reflect in Excel (or Numbers if you use a Mac)...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I like to think I don't have much form for troubling the moderators and any that I have was unintentional. One way of keeping onside is to have an idea of the offside rules. I'm now in the dark - with apologies for the mixed metaphors.