Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
Jdsk

Re: A thesis on moderation and why it's crap for everyone

Post by Jdsk »

661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

thirdcrank wrote:
And yes I have been to Betty's - the one in Ilkley. A bit 'superior' for the likes of me! :oops:

Did you forget your specs?

https://www.bettys.co.uk/cafe-tea-rooms ... tys-ilkley
You callin' me a greengrocer??? :lol:

In fact, according to Wiki (which may have got it wrong of course), the name used to have the apostrophe.
...and in 1962, local tea room competitor 'Betty's' took over 'Taylor's',
Anyway, if I slipped up, it's a fairly venial sin I think.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

661-Pete wrote:And yes I have been to Betty's - the one in Ilkley. A bit 'superior' for the likes of me! :oops:

I've eaten in five of them, and played jazz in at least two of them, IIRC.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

661-Pete wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:
And yes I have been to Betty's - the one in Ilkley. A bit 'superior' for the likes of me! :oops:

Did you forget your specs?

https://www.bettys.co.uk/cafe-tea-rooms ... tys-ilkley
You callin' me a greengrocer??? :lol:

In fact, according to Wiki (which may have got it wrong of course), the name used to have the apostrophe.
...and in 1962, local tea room competitor 'Betty's' took over 'Taylor's',
Anyway, if I slipped up, it's a fairly venial sin I think.

I only mentioned Bettys to try to convey what I was saying about moderation. We had a few years in late middle age when we went regularly but it's ages since we've been. One of the downsides was the queuing and among the various old posters in the Ilkley Bettys there used to be something explaining the lack of the apostrophe. I couldn't resist mentioning it, but only because I know you can spell.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote:I only mentioned Bettys to try to convey what I was saying about moderation. We had a few years in late middle age when we went regularly but it's ages since we've been. One of the downsides was the queuing and among the various old posters in the Ilkley Bettys there used to be something explaining the lack of the apostrophe. I couldn't resist mentioning it, but only because I know you can spell.

"Why has your company adopted the spellings "Bettys and Taylors" instead of the correct "Betty's and Taylor's"?"
https://www.bettys.co.uk/our-locations

Jonathan
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Jdsk wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:I only mentioned Bettys to try to convey what I was saying about moderation. We had a few years in late middle age when we went regularly but it's ages since we've been. One of the downsides was the queuing and among the various old posters in the Ilkley Bettys there used to be something explaining the lack of the apostrophe. I couldn't resist mentioning it, but only because I know you can spell.

"Why has your company adopted the spellings "Bettys and Taylors" instead of the correct "Betty's and Taylor's"?"
https://www.bettys.co.uk/our-locations

Jonathan

"All our café's and shop's are closed until further notice."

Nah, not really! :)
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

There is a Betty's at Harrogate and York (2) plus a couple of others it so it should be Betties. :-)
John
mjr

Post by mjr »

"At Harriets’ Norwich City Centre Tearooms you’ll feel right at home as soon as you walk through the door." https://harrietscafetearooms.co.uk/our- ... ty-centre/

Expresso is better on a bike anyway, as it has cycle parking you can sit by or see from the window, by a blue plaque explaining why Norwich has Plains not Squares.

Back to moderation: all this should be hived off into its own topic, shouldn't it?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Should I merge this with the favourite tea rooms thread? ;)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Is that a thread belonging to tea rooms?

; - )

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I only mentioned Bettys to try to convey what I was saying about moderation.

With my apologies for any deviation from the topic.

Apart from anything else, I don't think Bettys provide much in the way of secure cycle parking and I can't see them serving pint pots of tea while you eat your own grub, so not one for favourite tea rooms.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

thirdcrank wrote:A bit like racism, this is one of those things where the view of people who feel they are on the receiving end is paramount.

ie If somebody finds the environment hostile, it's not their fault.

+1
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

rmurphy195 wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:A bit like racism, this is one of those things where the view of people who feel they are on the receiving end is paramount.

ie If somebody finds the environment hostile, it's not their fault.

+1

What if somebody was a member of something like the BNP, and they found the environment "hostile". Would that not be their "fault"?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

The post above has changed since I last read it :shock:
Author deleted or moderated?
The original, although a shocking disclosure, made the point succinctly and I felt without argument. The current post is not as powerful.
ps I didn’t believe you :wink:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Paulatic wrote:The post above has changed since I last read it :shock:
Author deleted or moderated?
The original, although a shocking disclosure, made the point succinctly and I felt without argument. The current post is not as powerful.
ps I didn’t believe you :wink:

The original was simply deleted (by a moderator, I assume). Yes, the "shocking disclosure" you refer to is indeed untrue*, and was intended to be ironic, an irony which you clearly recognised.

It's difficult to believe that whichever mod deleted the post didn't also recognise the irony. But if they didn't, it's a strange approach don't you think? That if somebody reveals membership of a hated organisation, that revelation should be deleted? Rather than their beliefs examined or challenged? EDIT Or reported to the police if necessary. END EDIT

And if the mod did recognise the irony, why didn't they also recognise the point I am making, as you have done?

*I'm fairly sure the organisation I referred to doesn't actually exist.