Forum Update Issues

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
RickH

Re: Forum Update Issues

Post by RickH »

On the subject of colours, I tried out the dark mode in the board styles (I quite like dark mode options when available).

One problem I found is in the, now re-instated :D, notifications. "Normal" mode uses a background change to highlight the posts you haven't yet viewed, which is useful to see which are still unread if you don't look at them in list order.
Normal mode
Normal mode
But the "dark" mode has no such highlight. Or, if there is a change, it is too subtle for me to see.
Dark mode
Dark mode
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
gaz

Post by gaz »

thirdcrank wrote: 8 Apr 2021, 6:53amDid you find out by accident or research?
Accidental research :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
gaz

Post by gaz »

Ooh, you can attach pics to PMs (at least you can now and I've not noticed the option before).
gaz

Post by gaz »

gaz wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 3:14pm Ooh, you can attach pics to PMs (at least you can now and I've not noticed the option before).
Quotes are now linked ^ to the original with a post id and time stamp.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

I may have missed something but having gone through this thread I cannot see a solution to my issue. Previously when I went to the 'quick links' and asked for 'new posts', only those posted since my last visit came up. Since the board changes I now have pages going back to the the time of the board changes come up. How can I revert back to just having new posts since my last visit?
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
boblo

Post by boblo »

bikepacker wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 9:26am I may have missed something but having gone through this thread I cannot see a solution to my issue. Previously when I went to the 'quick links' and asked for 'new posts', only those posted since my last visit came up. Since the board changes I now have pages going back to the the time of the board changes come up. How can I revert back to just having new posts since my last visit?
Same here. Good timing @bikepacker
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

bikepacker wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 9:26am I may have missed something but having gone through this thread I cannot see a solution to my issue. Previously when I went to the 'quick links' and asked for 'new posts', only those posted since my last visit came up. Since the board changes I now have pages going back to the the time of the board changes come up. How can I revert back to just having new posts since my last visit?
I've had no problem with this so I can't be sure, but when you have read those hitherto unread posts you want to read, go to the 'unread posts' screen and click 'mark all read.'

(There doesn't seem to be a 'mark all read button' on the new posts board.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

boblo wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 10:19am
Lots of us haven't had that problem.

Therefore I'd start by:
1 Logging out and in again.
2 Clearing the browser's caches and cookies.
3 Reporting back on whether that made a difference.

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

When using the "newposts" I've always (previous and new forum versions) been given all recent posts with indications as to read/unread by me. The difference I see between old and new versions is that the new software lists far more (quite a few pages worth) where old version used to do one maybe rarely 2 pages. But I just ignore pages 2-6 (last) (it's only a few page numbers top and bottom of the list of posts).

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Ah... it's correctly flagging new posts but listing them further back?

Jonathan
mjr

Post by mjr »

Jdsk wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 11:20am Ah... it's correctly flagging new posts but listing them further back?
Yes, to the point where I do not see what the difference is from "Active topics". You never reach the end of the new any more. Very facebooky, "infinite content".
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks.

That's what I'm seeing... I was probably wrong above about some seeing this but not others.

Jonathan
boblo

Post by boblo »

Jdsk wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 10:42am
boblo wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 10:19am
Lots of us haven't had that problem.

Therefore I'd start by:
1 Logging out and in again.
2 Clearing the browser's caches and cookies.
3 Reporting back on whether that made a difference.

Jonathan
There's a specific option on the bottom bar of this site to clear cookies which I've done twice. Both times, when I came back to the forum I had to provide credentials and log in again (good) which shows the cookie delete is working. Also the 'not read' subset was a couple of pages of new stuff rather than a couple of pages of pages of new stuff and 6 pages of old stuff.

Does that help?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I posted that when I thought that this was affecting some but not others. I now think that this isn't the case, as above,

Jonathan
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

I can clear the old posts by logging out and the logging back in. All I really want is for the 'New Posts' just to show those posted since I last viewed the forum. Many other forums have that facility.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".