Forum Update Issues

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
mjr

Re: Forum Update Issues

Post by mjr »

L+1 wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 10:15am I think we used to have a strap line below posts which had been edited by the author e.g. - ‘edited by L+1, edited one (1?) time in total’.
Is this now discontinued in the new style?
No, but it only appears if there was a later post at the time of the edit.

If the post was edited when the reply was being written, it can result in the effect you saw.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

L+1 wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 10:15am I think we used to have a strap line below posts which had been edited by the author e.g. - ‘edited by L+1, edited one (1?) time in total’.
Is this now discontinued in the new style?
I ask because I was reading the ongoing Spa Cycles thread in ‘Goods and Services’ and a poster has quoted someone else’s full post, the original of which is now shorter with no mention of it being edited.
Personally I would prefer the fact that someone has edited their post, sometimes to remove ill chosen language, sometimes just to correct a typo or error, to be recorded on the original post.
I've just tested this by editing my post above yours and the edit history still shows. AFAIK, that will only show if a post is edited after a subsequent post has appeared. (mjr beat me to explaining that.)My own practise is to show a reason for an edit eg a test in that case.

The system does allow mods etc to edit a post without that line appearing. I only realised that in my spambuster days. When I raised it, ex-administrator Graham immediately started explaining any of his edits on the edited post. As this is otherwise invisible, I don't know if others do the same
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 10:19am ...Emphasis, italics, bold when quoting is falsification and is not allowed
(my bold and colour)
It does seem to be still allowed under the new forum software. I think it is a reasonable way to help a reader to highlight as aspect particularly relevant to your response provided you are not attempting to falsify or mis-quote (I normally do as I've done here indicating below the quote that I've added bold and colour - and I don't see anything wrong with that as it's just helping other readers).

Ian
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Psamathe wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 11:16am
Cyril Haearn wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 10:19am ...Emphasis, italics, bold when quoting is falsification and is not allowed
(my bold and colour)
It does seem to be still allowed under the new forum software. I think it is a reasonable way to help a reader to highlight as aspect particularly relevant to your response provided you are not attempting to falsify or mis-quote (I normally do as I've done here indicating below the quote that I've added bold and colour - and I don't see anything wrong with that as it's just helping other readers).

Ian
Nor me. I would rather include a longer passage lest a reader wants to reference it, but draw their attention to the particular passage within it using this method. It avoids the reader having to check back in case of selective quoting. :)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

If one knows that one particular member, me, has mentioned this several times, asking for his texts not to be changed/falsified/italicised/bolded, (omission is ok...) it seems reasonable to comply with his wishes. Others may be less sensitive :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 1:13pm If one knows that one particular member, me, has mentioned this several times, asking for his texts not to be changed/falsified/italicised/bolded, (omission is ok...) it seems reasonable to comply with his wishes. Others may be less sensitive :wink:
There are loads of posters so accommodating specific requests from a single member when quoting specific posts is unlikely to be realistic. And it helps others to make sense as to what is being said. To me it makes no sense - why not make it easier for others to read and understand a discussion.

Maybe try adding your request to your signature - but that might have the opposite effect. (Also, many wont even be reading threads like this and to remember a request from a skimmed thread weeks later ...

I would dispute you use of "falsified" - it's highlighting a specific aspect being responded to. It's a recognised technique used by quite a few contributors.

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

RickH wrote: 6 Apr 2021, 9:44pm Is this new? Or have I just never noticed it?

Next to the "RickH wrote:" (or anyone else) at the top of a quote from an earlier post there is a tiny up arrow. If you click/tap on the it takes you to the quoted post. See example below (I note having added it - using the quote button on the original post - that there is a "time" & "user_id" tag inside the {quote=...} part
admin wrote: 6 Apr 2021, 5:52pm The column layout is from the standard phpBB Prosilver style.

I could modify it, but all changes have to be repeated whenever the board is updated to a new version, so I'd rather leave things alone where possible.
New, and neat.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bonefishblues wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 11:36am
Psamathe wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 11:16am
(my bold and colour)
Nor me. I would rather include a longer passage lest a reader wants to reference it, but draw their attention to the particular passage within it using this method. It avoids the reader having to check back in case of selective quoting.
If a quoter does want to use this then adding who did the emboldening or whatever is IMO both necessary and sufficient.

Jonathan
L+1

Post by L+1 »

Thank you for the replies to my query regarding the ‘edited by’ strap line.
I must have come upon a very speedy ‘copy text’ by one member and a simultaneous ‘edit’ by the original author.
I must admit to reading the forum and posting the occasional reply via my phone - making the various editing functions difficult to master.
Thanks again for the clear explanations/examples.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Psamathe wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 11:16am It does seem to be still allowed under the new forum software. I think it is a reasonable way to help a reader to highlight as aspect particularly relevant to your response provided you are not attempting to falsify or mis-quote (I normally do as I've done here indicating below the quote that I've added bold and colour - and I don't see anything wrong with that as it's just helping other readers).
I don't think changing post colours is reasonable because red and green are famously difficult for many dyslexics and colour-blind people. So are low-contrast combinations — and now there is a dark theme available, every unusual colour is probably going to be low-contrast in one of the themes!

Overdoing the amount of bold and the alternation of bold and regular is also difficult to read: bold can easily make letters merge for dyslexics, as do italics and underlines. Be sparing with bold and consider sticking to whole phrases, ideally split out into their own paragraph.

If you feel moved to embolden part of a quote, the quote is probably too long and you should consider cutting bits (and marking the cuts with [...]), or repeating the part you want to emphasise in ""s in your reply.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
drossall

Post by drossall »

I was one of the 33 :roll:

I can't say I'm a fan of either new theme. It's not really the colours; it's the layout. Subsilver just seemed to make better use of space. But hey ho, I don't come here for pretty layouts :D
gaz

Post by gaz »

The search engine has had an upgrade and will now return results should you search for either two or three letter words.

Ni :mrgreen: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

gaz wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 11:44pm The search engine has had an upgrade and will now return results should you search for either two or three letter words. .
That's useful to know. I'd always assumed it was because the potential number of hits was too great to handle. Did you find out by accident or research?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Good spot @Gaz looks like I can now delete my ? Site: www
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mjr is right about font colours, some websites are hard to read with white text on black or yellow on grey

These ctc fora are quite easy to read, the new version is even a bit better than the old one, but black on white might be even better, is that available?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies