Forum Update Issues

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
mjr

Re: Forum Update Issues

Post by mjr »

admin wrote: 6 Apr 2021, 2:33pm I have Firefox 87.0 on Linux (Fedora 33) here, and it's snappy as anything else.

There is no use of node.js on this Forum, so I'm not sure where that message is coming from? It's a server-side thing, so are you using a proxy server, or Tapatalk, or a whacky Firefox plugin, or something like that?
I can't tell where it's coming from. That does seem to be a bogus reference, as the warning has not been attributed to node.js again since. Annoyingly, the problem does not happen consistently when the developer tools / firebug is open, which makes it more difficult to track down. When it does happen, I see an unstyled page briefly.

My current suspicion is that font-awesome.min.css keeps getting redownloaded (and that delays the following cached stylesheets taking effect) but I cannot yet explain why because the headers look OK to me.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Aha! Can anyone else see "<pre style='display: none'>Fonant </pre><pre style='display: none'>Fonant </pre>" at the start of a post page's source code? (when the address bar contains viewtopic.php)

That would force layout before loading the css tags that come later, of course.

It's possible I've done something with a plugin to insert that but I don't know why I'd use Fonant as the text!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

mjr wrote: 6 Apr 2021, 4:27pm Aha! Can anyone else see "<pre style='display: none'>Fonant </pre><pre style='display: none'>Fonant </pre>" at the start of a post page's source code? (when the address bar contains viewtopic.php)

It's possible I've done something with a plugin to insert that but I don't know why I'd use Fonant as the text!
1 No

Re Fonant, I may seem very naïve pointing this out but Fonant is the style of the human behind Admin
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mjr wrote: 6 Apr 2021, 4:27pm Aha! Can anyone else see "<pre style='display: none'>Fonant </pre><pre style='display: none'>Fonant </pre>" at the start of a post page's source code? (when the address bar contains viewtopic.php)

If I look at the html for this page, I see
<pre style='display: none'>Fonant </pre><pre style='display: none'>Fonant </pre><pre style='display: none'>Fonant </pre><pre style='display: none'>Fonant </pre><pre style='display: none'>Fonant </pre><pre style='display: none'>Fonant </pre><pre style='display: none'>Fonant </pre><pre style='display: none'>Fonant </pre><pre style='display: none'>Fonant </pre><pre style='display: none'>Fonant </pre><pre style='display: none'>Fonant </pre><pre style='display: none'>Fonant </pre><pre style='display: none'>Fonant </pre><pre style='display: none'>Fonant </pre><!DOCTYPE html>
<html dir="ltr" lang="en-gb">
<head>
<meta charset="utf-8" />
i.e. all the bits you mention before anything else.

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Psamathe wrote: 6 Apr 2021, 1:31pm @admin
Trivial issue. Favicon seems to have disappeared. I had a brief look at the HTML and can't see it in there (bit it wa sbrief and may have missed it) but certainly does not appear in browser.

Ian
EDIT: Checked the console and getting a 404 error on favicon.ico
It's back now.

Ian
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Oops! Some debugging code accidentally left in from when I was trying to work out why URLs were all wrong. Fixed now. :oops:

It's nice to have knowledgeable members using the Forum, to help debug glitches like this!
mjr

Post by mjr »

admin wrote: 6 Apr 2021, 5:22pm Oops! Some debugging code accidentally left in from when I was trying to work out why URLs were all wrong. Fixed now. :oops:

It's nice to have knowledgeable members using the Forum, to help debug glitches like this!
:) Thanks. You're welcome. Happens to the best of us. At least you don't use offensive words during debug like some of my long past colleagues...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I might not type offensive words... :wink:
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Don't know if it's come up yet, but the index page seems to have lost column width from the LAST POST column, in favour of the CYCLING column, such that the subject line of the last post is obscured after only a few words and so gaining an automatically-applied ellipsis, whereas the board titles in the left-most column are mostly quite short... see below
It's only a minor complaint, but in some ways the text of the subject line is more important to be able to scan & read than is the title of the board it's in.
(MacBook, Safari 14.03 / Chrome 89.0.4389)
column widths don't reflect content
column widths don't reflect content
And another vote of thanks to upgraders, too!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The column layout is from the standard phpBB Prosilver style.

I could modify it, but all changes have to be repeated whenever the board is updated to a new version, so I'd rather leave things alone where possible.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Sounds good to me - just thought I'd ask :-) Cheers for all your hard work.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
RickH

Post by RickH »

Is this new? Or have I just never noticed it?

Next to the "RickH wrote:" (or anyone else) at the top of a quote from an earlier post there is a tiny up arrow. If you click/tap on the it takes you to the quoted post. See example below (I note having added it - using the quote button on the original post - that there is a "time" & "user_id" tag inside the {quote=...} part
admin wrote: 6 Apr 2021, 5:52pm The column layout is from the standard phpBB Prosilver style.

I could modify it, but all changes have to be repeated whenever the board is updated to a new version, so I'd rather leave things alone where possible.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Is this new? Or have I just never noticed it?
I'm sure it's new and it save searching if you want to go back to the original
test edit
Last edited by thirdcrank on 7 Apr 2021, 10:34am, edited 1 time in total.
L+1

Post by L+1 »

I think we used to have a strap line below posts which had been edited by the author e.g. - ‘edited by L+1, edited one (1?) time in total’.
Is this now discontinued in the new style?
I ask because I was reading the ongoing Spa Cycles thread in ‘Goods and Services’ and a poster has quoted someone else’s full post, the original of which is now shorter with no mention of it being edited.
Personally I would prefer the fact that someone has edited their post, sometimes to remove ill chosen language, sometimes just to correct a typo or error, to be recorded on the original post.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Simples,.... a few dots indicate that text was removed. Emphasis, italics, bold when quoting is falsification and is not allowed

There is nothing worse than someone quoting a really long post just to Plus One it :?

Edited again to see if a note appears
Yes! But I edited it more than thrice
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 7 Apr 2021, 10:41am, edited 3 times in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies