Forum Update Issues

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Forum Update Issues

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
admin wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 12:09pm
NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 11:59am Mine is hard to read and I think a bit smaller but I don't know where to find the font I'm using?
I don't need to know the font, I need to know which particular text is hard to read. Menus, post content, everything?

Seems to be an iPhone issue, from what I've heard so far.
it was terrible when it changed A few days ago, I could hardly read anything and the icons are miles too small.
Today it's been 50% better maybe even more it's more readable looks a bit better.
It was more just clarity of what was what an icon seem to have been changed and moved around different looking things et cetera et cetera.
This is today-
EA2167F0-7D47-4B20-B3C8-71F3CE872EC2.png
k
Using an iPhone first generation SE which is basically an eye phone 5S screen.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

freiston wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 1:36pm Is there any chance that a theme more like the old Subsilver will be developed?
Probably not, because it was very table-based (difficult to make responsive) and old-fashioned-looking. But phpBB is open source so it's possible someone will decide it's a worthwhile thing to do.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

mjr wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 11:55am
Tangled Metal wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 11:25am Oh this is annoying. I can't read topic titles.
What sort of can't read?
The poster, date and subheadings are in the same place as the thread heading in some but not all threads. The ones it's not in are the ones I don't generally read anyway. The threads I do read and some I haven't have this problem. Means it's a bit of guesswork to find the right thread I'm interested in .
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

admin wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 12:11pm
Tangled Metal wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 11:25am Oh this is annoying. I can't read topic titles. Time to give this forum a break until things get fixed I think. I hope that happens soon
Can you tell me more? I need to understand your problem before I know what needs to be fixed :)

Why can't you read topic titles?

What sort of computer are you using? Which browser?
Android 10 running on a Lenovo yoga tablet using Chrome browser. The subheading and poster/date lines over v write the main header so you can't see what each thread is about? Not all threads have this issue. No idea why it's happening but it does seem to be random. Although I tend to notice most threads I've been reading have this issue
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ah, OK, I can reproduce the layout bug.

It's fine if your screen is up to 700px wide, and also fine if it's 780px or wider. In between the topic titles in the topic list do odd things.

I'll see if I can work out a fix.

Update: most odd. Looks like a bug in the "float: left" rendering in Chrome. Some post titles sometimes appear to have effectively zero height in terms of following floats clearing them. No apparent rhyme or reason which titles get ignored. Not to do with line wrapping, nor presence of attachment icon.

Update: Aha, there are two blocks included in the left-most column for mobile devices, hidden with Javascript on screens wider than 700px. So I can imagine that the layout engine might or might not recognise the space they do/don't use. Still don't know why some posts are affected and others not. The narrower the screen is above 700px, the more posts suffer.

Workaround might be to turn your tablet so it's landscape instead or portrait, or vice versa. That could avoid the problematic width range.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The Notifications pull down menu has just appeared.

Jonathan
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, I found the setting :)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think I've fixed the overlapping-text problem for medium-width screens (at least 700px wide, up to around 800px wide).

[Technical: removed apparently-unnecessary "float: left" from the .left-box style]
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

admin wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 7:47pm Yes, I found the setting :)
It’s great. Thank you.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Great response to the problems, admin.

Thanks

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 4 Apr 2021, 9:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
sizbut

Post by sizbut »

Google's console is reporting that some of the page style sheets are not being used because the server doesn't have the MME types correctly set.
Refused to apply style from 'styles/cyclinguk/theme/plupload.css?assets_version=79' because its MIME type ('text/html') is not a supported stylesheet MIME type, and strict MIME checking is enabled.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ooo, that's an odd one, of course a CSS file should be served as MIME type "text/css". Will investigate.

Update: that URL was "file not found", but included by a base prosilver template. I've copied the file into the Cycling UK style.

Update: actually, copying the CSS file wasn't needed, an edit to overall_header.html was all that was needed.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

If sorting missing files, for your info (using dark theme), my browser console reports
[Error] Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found) (stylesheet.css, line 0)
[Error] Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found) (no_avatar.gif, line 0)
[Error] Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found) (blue.css, line 0)
[Info] Content blocker prevented frame displaying viewtopic.php?p=1594158#p1594158 from loading a resource from https://www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js (viewtopic.php, line 39)
[Error] Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found) (no_avatar.gif, line 0)
On loading this thread.

(Ignore the Google Analytics as that is local browser bocks).

Ian
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Should be all fixed now?

Edit: ah, you're using the dark theme. Not touching that until I've sorted the default one.
sizbut

Post by sizbut »

My console is now clear, so any issues remaining are actual style sheet settings rather than file delivery.