FIXED: alert notification disappeared

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
Sweep

FIXED: alert notification disappeared

Post by Sweep »

The alert notification list which used to appear top right alongside "private messages" has disappeared.
A major usage issue if I can't resolve this.
I use an android tab and a chromebook - the same on both.
Sweep
Jdsk

Re: alert notification disappeared

Post by Jdsk »

I suggest adding this to the Forum Update Issues thread:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=145045&start=15

Jonathan
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Sweep wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 6:03am The alert notification list which used to appear top right alongside "private messages" has disappeared.
This is driving me crazy along with all of the other “improvements” done recently. Change for changes sake...
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The explanation of the need for this change is in Forum Update Issues.

Jonathan
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Jdsk wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 10:24am The explanation of the need for this change is in Forum Update Issues.

Jonathan
I can't see an explanation of the "need" for the change, just that it's happened.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There is no explanation, yet.

I updated the Forum to the latest version of phpBB. The notifications thingy no longer appears. That's all we know, so far.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Don't know but might this be the problem? This is the way my notification options are set by default (click to enlarge, of course):
notification options.PNG
So you're only notified by default if you've been moderated, quoted or someone has sent you a PM but not if someone replies to a topic to which you are subscribed - unless you enable that yourself. Haven't tried that yet but will do. Don't know if that's the same as being notified if someone replies to a topic you've posted on - does that automatically subscribe you? I think maybe it always did.

I'm liking the new Dark Theme (laptop, Google Chrome browser) but it takes a bit of getting used to and it might not suit or work with everyone, I suppose. I just find it more legible now, if nothing else.

Hang on in there, Admin - forum updates are often downright traumatic for some users - we all tend not to like what we're not used to, especially if we've been used to something for a long time (apart from anything else). I remember years ago the Autosport forum had an update (necessary and unavoidable even for security reasons, apparently) and some of the folk needed counselling! :)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The concerns aren't about email notifications but the little icons at the top of the page which used to turn red if you had a notification or a PM
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

thirdcrank wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 12:57pm The concerns aren't about email notifications but the little icons at the top of the page which used to turn red if you had a notification or a PM
Oh sorry, that was silly, I didn't see the EMAIL heading at the top of the list. :oops:
mjr

Post by mjr »

admin wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 12:15pm There is no explanation, yet.

I updated the Forum to the latest version of phpBB. The notifications thingy no longer appears. That's all we know, so far.
I posted elsewhere but just in case it was overlooked: I think the board notifications method has changed from a special case into a similar thing as other notification methods like email. It now needs to be enabled in the Admin Control Panel, whereas the old special case one was always on.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I have just done a test by sending a PM to myself and a little red icon appears at the top of the screen.
Screenshot (10).png
Last edited by thirdcrank on 4 Apr 2021, 2:07pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

thirdcrank wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 2:05pm I have just done a test by sending a PM to myself and a little red icon appears at the top of the screen.
I used to get that little red icon (counter) for anything relevant e.g. PM's, "Your were quoted", Report completed (I believe), etc.). Certainly don't get one for "You were quoted" on new board software.

Ian
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Can't vouch for anything else. The only thing I bother with is the occasional PM. I thought that notification had gone and I'm pleased to see it hasn't.
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

Sweep wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 6:03am The alert notification list which used to appear top right alongside "private messages" has disappeared.
Same on Windows and IOS.
Rubbish if not resolved!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

thirdcrank wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 2:05pm I have just done a test by sending a PM to myself and a little red icon appears at the top of the screen.

Screenshot (10).png
That's PMs, that is entirely different.
Sweep